Weekend Updates

Posted: 15 January 2012 03:51 PM #31

Just remember, there’s a lot of _experience_, but not _advice_, here on this board.

Vertical spreads are fairly easy on the advanced derivatives scale, but make sure you get the theory cold before you trade for real.  Also note that complex options take longer to execute in most cases.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 January 2012 04:34 PM #32

thewood21 - 15 January 2012 12:37 AM
    JDSoCal - 14 January 2012 09:37 PM
    roni - 14 January 2012 05:50 AM

My April $425’s will be gone long before April expiry

I mean this without a shred of sarcasm (rare for me), my stress level has dropped dramatically since I stopped buying calls. ITM spreads go up to the very last day, as does selling options.

JD,

What kind of spreads are you using (Calendar, Credit)?  I am trying to reduce my stress level and want to start using spreads.  Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Jason

Vertical only, mostly bull call, but I have done a couple bull put spreads on the advice of some here like luvmyipad, as it saves some commi$h.

I’ve learned the hard way that hogs get slaughtered, and I had to fight and scratch to get back all those stupid call losses. Never again! Protect capital, don’t swing for the fences, keep it low risk, at least for the higher dollar amount trades.

Everyone says it but noone does it, do some paper trades! Can’t lose that way except opportunity cost, but it’s still better than lost capital.

Protect capital!

I’m no T/A guy, but as they say, I’ve learned to trade what I see (but in open interest, not squiggly charts), not what I think AAPL should do, or even worse, blind hope what it will do.

Truth be told, majority of my trades now are selling options, but it takes a lot of equity to do that.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 15 January 2012 05:05 PM #33

In case this was missed on Friday…..if all the suppliers and vendors are making larger than expected profit, how about the ‘customer’. ( apple).

——

Suppliers? Big Numbers Bode Well for Apple Earnings
    JANUARY 12, 2012 AT 1:36 PM PT

A sign of things to come as we head into earnings season and Apple?s first fiscal quarter on January 24th.
    Multi-Fineline Electronix (MFLEX) late Wednesday reported better than expected preliminary revenues, attributing the good news to an improving supply chain situation in Thailand and ?an increase in shipments to our largest key customer.?
    The customer in question?
    It?s widely believed to be Apple, which uses MFLEX?s flexible printed circuit boards in the iPhone and iPad.
    MFLEX had been guiding for sales of $200 million to $230 million. The company now sees sales of about $239 million, far above Wall Street?s expectations of $215.6 million.
    That bodes well for Apple, which seems poised to report another blow-out quarter this month. As UBS analyst Maynard Um notes, MFLEX?s announcement is one among a number of positive indicators for Apple recently.
    Says Um, ?[MFLEX’s] results follow better than expected iPhone shipments from Verizon last week, iPhone strength from AT&T last month, Cirrus Logic (analog chips for iPad & iPod) with better results this week and strong December results from Dialog Semi, Catcher (Mac metal casing), TPK (iPad 2 touch panel orders) and Hon Hai stronger iPhone/iPad orders.?
    Tagged with: Apple, earnings, MFLEX, Multi-Fineline Electronix

http://allthingsd.com/20120112/suppliers-big-numbers-bode-well-for-apple-earnings/?refzone=topics_apple

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 15 January 2012 05:46 PM #34

lovemyipad - 15 January 2012 05:44 PM
    rudyo - 15 January 2012 05:36 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 15 January 2012 05:36 AM

That’s all I am looking for this week.  Bought $415/$420s Friday at $3.10.  Crossing my fingers for a gap up on Tuesday (I hate 3 day weekends).

I hate 2 day weekends! grin
    Seriously I hate when the market is closed at all. Friday afternoons carry an air of sadness, like missing an old friend. I would be fine with just a day off here and there.  Maybe a few holidays.

So I’m not the only one. :D

Go knit Fenway some Booties!

• Posted: 15 January 2012 06:24 PM #35

rudyo - 15 January 2012 05:36 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 15 January 2012 05:36 AM

That’s all I am looking for this week.  Bought $415/$420s Friday at $3.10.  Crossing my fingers for a gap up on Tuesday (I hate 3 day weekends).

I hate 2 day weekends! grin
    Seriously I hate when the market is closed at all. Friday afternoons carry an air of sadness, like missing an old friend. I would be fine with just a day off here and there.  Maybe a few holidays.

I’ll bet we were separated at birth : ))

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:28 PM #36

Gregg, that’s hilarious!

Did you and I both just get moderated from the comments on PED’s “don’t buy options right before earnings” article?  Our implied volatility commentary rings true!

EDIT:  Not happy with PED’s apparent heavy-handed censorship of fairly objective criticism (and I admit _I_ can be a little hair-trigger sometimes).  You did double-post, but that’s the worst of it.

[ Edited: 15 January 2012 06:36 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 January 2012 06:29 PM #37

Red Shirted Ensign - 15 January 2012 09:05 PM

As UBS analyst Maynard Um notes, MFLEX?s announcement is one among a number of positive indicators for Apple recently.
    Says Um, ?[MFLEX’s] results follow better than expected iPhone shipments from Verizon last week, iPhone strength from AT&T last month, Cirrus Logic (analog chips for iPad & iPod) with better results this week and strong December results from Dialog Semi, Catcher (Mac metal casing), TPK (iPad 2 touch panel orders) and Hon Hai stronger iPhone/iPad orders.?

Almost like there is a pattern there.

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:34 PM #38

2 Cents - 15 January 2012 10:29 PM

As UBS analyst Maynard Um notes, MFLEX?s announcement is one among a number of positive indicators for Apple recently.

Follow the bread crumbs….....the bakery will reveal itself on January 24th.  LOL

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 15 January 2012 06:43 PM #39

Red Shirted Ensign - 15 January 2012 10:34 PM
    2 Cents - 15 January 2012 10:29 PM

Follow the bread crumbs….....the bakery will reveal itself on January 24th.  LOL

Ah, the motherloaf at last…

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:45 PM #40

Good one!  LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 January 2012 11:11 PM #41

JDSoCal - 15 January 2012 08:34 PM

I’ve learned the hard way that hogs get slaughtered, and I had to fight and scratch to get back all those stupid call losses. Never again! Protect capital, don’t swing for the fences, keep it low risk, at least for the higher dollar amount trades.

Everyone says it but no one does it, do some paper trades! Can’t lose that way except opportunity cost, but it’s still better than lost capital.

I paper trade regularly, as do a handful of my trading buddies (JCaron, Chas, Zulu…off the top of my head).  Love it.  The more I paper trade, the better I real trade.

A big DITTO to protecting capital!