Ain’t This Company Grand

• Posted: 14 January 2012 04:36 PM

Re: Tim Cook and Apple’s handling of this whole Supplier Responsibility issue. Grade of A+ IMO. This company deserves to have the largest market cap in the world and people should be proud to be investing in it. Not only does it create innovative products that truly help people, but it has ethics at its core.

Posted: 14 January 2012 05:35 PM #1

Obviously, Apple needed to get ahead of this for PR reasons, and ferret out any actual (vs. manufactured, no pun intended) abuses, but let’s see where this all goes before we judge. Working in a Foxconn factory beats the hell out of walking behind an ox tilling a field, or Chinese workers wouldn’t be migrating to cities in the first place. Just remember what these people made an hour before the iPhone existed.

I am very anti-union, and I hope that never happens in Apple stores.

When I hear the term “social responsibility” I grab onto my wallet tight.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 14 January 2012 06:35 PM #2

Ya, agreed, but it seems like it’s generally good business to do the right thing. People feel it. It’s part of the reason Apple stores are so successful I think. You can feel Jobs’ presence, “Do the right thing for the customer in every last detail. Don’t dick with them.” It’s like no matter who you are, what your station in life, you are being shown the greatest possible respect in those stores - not to mention playing with all this cool stuff. Who wouldn’t want to be there? Who wouldn’t want to be part of this quality act?

Posted: 15 January 2012 01:56 PM #3

Blah.  I read another of “her” posts prior to this one—I almost welcomed a “bot” into our home!

Posted: 15 January 2012 01:57 PM #4

JDSoCal - 14 January 2012 09:35 PM

Obviously, Apple needed to get ahead of this for PR reasons, and ferret out any actual (vs. manufactured, no pun intended) abuses, but let’s see where this all goes before we judge. Working in a Foxconn factory beats the hell out of walking behind an ox tilling a field, or Chinese workers wouldn’t be migrating to cities in the first place. Just remember what these people made an hour before the iPhone existed.

I am very anti-union, and I hope that never happens in Apple stores.

When I hear the term “social responsibility” I grab onto my wallet tight.

I credit Tim Cook for doing the right thing here?something I don’t think Steve Jobs would have done, given his track record of treating service people in restaurants and stores like human garbage.

As I said some eight months ago here, and was roundly castigated for saying so, it was vitally important for a feel-good American company like Apple to act responsibly. Apple’s biggest fans are the young, and they would be the first to turn away if Apple consistently disregarded the lives of the people who produce these wonderful products. I guess Tim Cook took my unsolicited advice ...

As for the lives of these workers being so much better in a Foxconn factory:  just look at the possible mass suicides at a Foxconn factory a week ago.  Their lives much just be peachy, hunky dory, and all the other terms that aged Republicans like to use to harken back to the good old days of a hundred years ago, when people working in factories in America had absolutely no protection against the evils of management (and they were often incredibly evil).

Companies treat people badly at their peril?and the peril of all stockholders connected to such a company.  Anti-union or not, that is just common sense.

Posted: 15 January 2012 02:01 PM #5

lovemyipad - 15 January 2012 05:56 PM

Blah.  I read another of “her” posts prior to this one—I almost welcomed a “bot” into our home!

Madame Moderator…...arm phasers and fire!  :-x

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 15 January 2012 03:59 PM #6

I for one welcome our robot overlords! LOL

I’d also welcome iPad as moderator but that doesn’t seem to have happened yet…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 January 2012 07:33 PM #7

Can’t Siri do it?

• Posted: 16 January 2012 08:34 AM #9

firestorm - 15 January 2012 05:57 PM

and all the other terms that aged Republicans like to use to harken back to the good old days of a hundred years ago

Don’t go there firestorm, if you do, you better have a doctorate in industrial history of the early 20th century, otherwise you won’t be able to keep up.

[ Edited: 16 January 2012 08:38 AM by Gregg Thurman ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 16 January 2012 09:05 AM #10

danthemason - 16 January 2012 08:46 AM

From the ” We care more than you care so we’re better than you” department.

LOL link description. The article talks about “Fair Trade Certified” computers and cell phones. Kind of like coffee???

• Posted: 16 January 2012 09:30 AM #11

Actually when you think about it, if Apple is the only company that does this then it gets some kind of competitive advantage (growing numbers of people only buy Fair Trade). If its competitors copy it then the world is a better place. What’s not to like?

Posted: 16 January 2012 10:53 AM #12

Gregg Thurman - 16 January 2012 12:34 PM
    firestorm - 15 January 2012 05:57 PM

and all the other terms that aged Republicans like to use to harken back to the good old days of a hundred years ago

Don’t go there firestorm, if you do, you better have a doctorate in industrial history of the early 20th century, otherwise you won’t be able to keep up.

As I said, treating people well is a matter of common sense.  Which is often is woefully short supply ...

• Posted: 16 January 2012 01:18 PM #13

firestorm:

Steve Jobs was many things but I don’t ever recall a claim he was a Republican. You’ve attempted (once again) to use a wide partisan brush to scapegoat members of a political party you don’t like over a situation that has no relationship whatsoever to American politics.

There is not a single political party or political movement in the United States that has a monopoly on greed, scandal, selfishness, discrimination or self-serving actions. There is not a political party or political movement in the United States that has monopoly on goodwill, charity, efforts at creating economic equality or working for social justice.

I suggest stepping back from your highly partisan binoculars through which you tend to view the world. Political parties and political movements are comprised of individuals who, for the most part, are seeking to advance society and improve the quality of life for the world’s citizens. While the preferred avenues to achieve common goals may differ, the desires to achieve common good are the same for the vast majority of people active in the political process, regardless of political affiliation.

When you assign ill motives or ill intent to the members of one political party or political movement over another, you are not moving discussions forward toward a basis of common understanding. You are participating in the same old “blame game” that leads to contentiousness, suspicion and political intransigence. The old “blame game” stymies the ability to find common ground.

Drawing divisions between people and groups based solely on one’s personal view of American politics does nothing to move discussions toward common understanding. This is an Apple-focused forum, not a platform for political partisanship. Our goal is to seek common understanding and not to divide people along political lines. If you can’t keep your partisan sniping in check, I suggest finding a politics-focused forum and allow the members of this community to move forward discussing topics of common interest and toward common understanding without the distraction of efforts at partisanship to divide the members along political lines.

• Posted: 16 January 2012 01:30 PM #14

DT - great post.  Thanks.

• Posted: 16 January 2012 02:42 PM #15

Lstream - 16 January 2012 05:30 PM

DT - great post.  Thanks.

+1!  So very well said.  Don’t forget to save it for use at a later date.  Only the name need be changed as the situation dictates.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!