Azuma

• Posted: 22 January 2012 11:08 PM #1

Azuma - 23 January 2012 02:36 AM

New captain vows “Steady as she goes!”

Globe and Mail links:
    At Research In Motion, a new CEO vows to silence the doomsayers

Heins eager to prove he?s up to the task at RIM

Azuma

Kind of like getting command of the Titanic right after she hit the iceberg ! 

They are DONE.

• Posted: 22 January 2012 11:11 PM #2

Two more links with some analysis:

Jim Balsillie, Mike Lazaridis out, Thorsten Heins in as new RIM CEO

RIM must dispel any doubt that Heins is running the show

Is anyone here still short RIMM?

Azuma

• Posted: 22 January 2012 11:52 PM #3

The changes may better position the board to consider acquisition offers. As it is, enterprise customers may get increasingly nervous about the company’s ability to survive independently. An acquisition by a strong partner would provide surety of a continuation of the product lines.

The Android market is crowded. RIMM would provide an established product line and a revenue stream. We’ll see what happens.

Posted: 23 January 2012 12:01 AM #4

Oddly, this points to a possible big rally in the stock tomorrow.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 23 January 2012 12:34 AM #5

Mav - 23 January 2012 04:01 AM

Oddly, this points to a possible big rally in the stock tomorrow.

Why would that be odd? The market has been signaling a desire for executive changes at the top for quite some time. Short sellers may need to cover their positions in early trading.

Posted: 23 January 2012 12:40 AM #6

It’s not odd at all, in an odd kind of way.

Of course management changes signal hope >> stock appreciation.

What so many fail to appreciate is that management changes can also occur amidst one heck of a sinking ship.  In this case, I’m not sure how much of RIM is left to save.

(By the way, I’ve put in a pre-market order for some RIMM calls just for fun.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 January 2012 01:00 AM #7

Mav - 23 January 2012 04:40 AM

What so many fail to appreciate is that management changes can also occur amidst one heck of a sinking ship.  In this case, I’m not sure how much of RIM is left to save.

The two-headed monster had lost all credibility and had lost touch with reality.  New blood will be given a honeymoon to make some shifts in tone and direction.

On the Wacky Predictions thread I forecast a few weeks back that RIMM changed leadership and reached 30 bucks a share in 2012. 

We’ll see…

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 23 January 2012 01:50 AM #8

Red Shirted Ensign - 23 January 2012 05:00 AM
    Mav - 23 January 2012 04:40 AM

The two-headed monster had lost all credibility and had lost touch with reality.  New blood will be given a honeymoon to make some shifts in tone and direction.

On the Wacky Predictions thread I forecast a few weeks back that RIMM changed leadership and reached 30 bucks a share in 2012. 

We’ll see…

Ensign - I know this.  RIM isn’t unsalvageable, and yes, unlike Apple of ‘96, it’s still profitable.  But it’s shipping 14 (make that 10-12?) million handsets a quarter, into a 250-300M unit/quarter market which is increasingly skewing smartphone.  Windows Phone should be passing RIM very shortly if it hasn’t already.

And…30 bucks a share?!

Well damn.  I better go put in a buy order for those calls at a higher price! :D

[ Edited: 23 January 2012 01:52 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 January 2012 06:02 AM #9

Up 7% in pre-market.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 January 2012 08:08 AM #10

When I read about the announcement, I thought maybe there was still some hope left for RIMM.  But then I watched the following video (new CEO interview), and now I’m absolutely sure RIMM will disappear as an autonomous company within 3 years.

Thorsten Heins introduction interview

This guy is SO out of touch with reality, it’s sad.  I’m pretty sure there’s great people at RIMM, hopefully they can find a better place to work before the whole company collapses.

Posted: 23 January 2012 08:37 AM #11

mjuarez - 23 January 2012 12:08 PM

When I read about the announcement, I thought maybe there was still some hope left for RIMM.  But then I watched the following video (new CEO interview), and now I’m absolutely sure RIMM will disappear as an autonomous company within 3 years.

Thorsten Heins introduction interview

This guy is SO out of touch with reality, it’s sad.  I’m pretty sure there’s great people at RIMM, hopefully they can find a better place to work before the whole company collapses.

I got 1/2 way thru the interview. I don’t mind the mindless enthusiasm, but the lack of anything specific insults his audience. If he has nothing to say he should spend less time saying it.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

• Posted: 23 January 2012 10:02 AM #12

If you want to see something scary, watch the CNBC interview with Heins this morning.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46098349

He’s completely clueless.  Said what happened to RIMM in the past couple years was a normal bump in the road for growing companies going global.

I got the impression he’s just happy to be CEO and is a total insider with no real plans for large scale changes.

Posted: 23 January 2012 10:22 AM #13

Based on PM action, looks like the reality about the new guy finally set in. Was up about 75 cents, now down 75 cents.

Posted: 23 January 2012 10:27 AM #14

More of the same
    It seems that this guy was co-picked by the co-CEOs who co-resigned.

Research In Motion isn?t broken, so no need to break it up. But it needs better internal focus, and better external focus, too.

That?s the takeaway from new RIM CEO Thorsten Heins, who told analysts this morning that he thinks the company is in pretty good shape, all things considered. Sure, in the US, it has been roughed up by Apple?s iPhone and Google?s Android, but it?s still used by lots of people, has lots of fans in big companies and big government agencies, and lots of users around the world.

And the new tech that the company has in the pipeline ? a revised version of its Playbook tablet, and a new operating system due out in the fall ? are great. You?ll see: ?I don?t think there is a drastic change needed?
    No surprise there, given that Heins, RIM?s former chief operating officer, has been at the company for the past four years. If RIM really wanted someone to blow things up and start over again, they?d bring in an outsider.

Instead, the only external help Heins seems to think he?ll need will be the talents of a new marketing guru, who he is counting on to reach out to consumers in particular. But if RIM can?t make a better product than its competitors ? or, at the very minimum, one that?s at least as good ? I don?t see how messaging will help.

Posted: 23 January 2012 10:31 AM #15

Looks like the two heads of the monster has merged into one. Only difference is that the new monster won’t be itching to buy a hockey team.