Macs at GE again

Posted: 24 January 2012 09:06 AM

I’m retired from GE. About 1994 or so they had the Mac Sunset Program and took them all out. At the time I had a Mac IICi juiced up with an accelerator board.

Someone forwarded this article to me. I’m not a subscriber to the Wall Street Journal so I couldn’t get to the whole article, but here’s the content:

“BY KATE LINEBAUGH

General Electric Co. would seem to be the last place that Apple Inc. laptops and desktops would appear in workers’ offices, but the technology is slowly seeping into daily life at the 120-year-old conglomerate.

Under a year-old pilot project, GE employees can choose Apple’s Mac notebooks or Mac desktops instead of a Windows PC. It now has about 1,000 Mac users and expects their ranks to expand further as more employees become aware of the program.

It is just a toehold: GE has about 330,000 computers, most running Windows-based software on PC hardware.

Apple has been working to get its ...”

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203721704577156704148493394.html?KEYWORDS=apple+mac

Signature

pbg

Posted: 24 January 2012 05:42 PM #1

My previous employer (a major US defense firm) also has softened on Apple hardware. They were a staunch Wintel and Blackberry shop. Now it is possible (albeit not exactly easy yet) to get Macs as well as iPhones. They were even working some iPad pilot programs.

Baby steps.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 29 January 2012 09:10 AM #2

A friend of mine worked for GE as well, even the iPhone was a problem at first, when I remember him correctly.
    Intersting that big companies are getting back to mac, even though it’s still a lot pricier than other systems. Maybe it will help apples mac business to gain some share of revenues back (now there are just 26% left for it, look here: http://www.statista.com/statistics/180374/distribution-of-apple-revenue-by-product-category-since-1999/ ) , would be great. Otherwise Apple just might stop selling macs someday, hard to imagine though

Posted: 29 January 2012 09:50 AM #3

Kobe. The good news is that the 26% last quarter was over $5 billion in Mac sales. And as for the cost, it’s likely that the birth to death costs of the Macs looks very attractive. I know the IT people at GE didn’t like paying the huge OS fees MS was getting after the nearly free early years. I would love to see a comparison of the per seat lease + support costs. I don’t believe GE would be offering Macs as an option today if it weren’t considerably cheaper.

Signature

pbg