Airport Utility 6.0

• Posted: 01 February 2012 10:44 AM

I have experienced the perfect storm of issues with my Airport Express this week. Right out of the gate Monday morning one of those gremlins attacked my Airport rendering it useless. Once in a great while it happens and I have to start from scratch. No big deal. When I opened up Airport utility, after resetting my Airport, I was met with the “new software available” message. “Oh, goody!” I thought to myself. Perhaps this would solve a few of the little niggly issues I’ve had. Oh, and what’s this? New firmware, too? Oh, happy day! I should update that as well and then everything will be fine, right?

The old adage “look before you leap” should have sprung to mind. However, in my excitement I plugged my nose and jumped off the update cliff fully expecting that Apple would catch me gently in it’s outstretched arms. I fired up Airport Utility 6.0 and what the heck? If what I’m reading online is true, they eliminated the ability to manage multiple profiles? Can it be? Please don’t make me go backward, Apple!

Can anyone verify this for me, or am I just missing something?

Signature

Can I run that on my IIGS?

• Posted: 02 February 2012 10:43 AM #1

I solved my own problem last night. Apparently the interwebs are right and there is no support for multiple profile management in 6.0. I downloaded 5.6 and used that to set up my Express and bingo-bango, everything is happy again.

The interface for 6.0 is pretty, but if you want to get geeky with your Airport, there are some features missing, and you may need/want to keep copies of Airport Utility 5.6 AND 6.0 around.

Signature

Can I run that on my IIGS?