The Apple iTV…

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:26 PM #121

Gruber speculating.

Apps for Apple TV is just a guess ? I?ve heard not a single whisper about such a thing from any Cupertino area little birdies. (Cf. the aforementioned Tim Cook quote about Apple doubling down on secrecy.) But it?s one of the few things I can imagine would that would be big, new, and different enough to warrant that much attention at WWDC.

http://daringfireball.net/2012/05/reading_way_too_much_into_wwdc_schedule

• Posted: 31 May 2012 07:03 PM #122

Current AppleTV OS still shows MobileMe for access to the galleries/movies.
    I"m guessing that iCloud will have photo/movie sharing services after WWDC before MobileMe shuts down.

• Posted: 31 May 2012 08:16 PM #123

Drew Bear - 30 May 2012 11:26 PM

Gruber speculating.

Apps for Apple TV is just a guess ? I?ve heard not a single whisper about such a thing from any Cupertino area little birdies. (Cf. the aforementioned Tim Cook quote about Apple doubling down on secrecy.) But it?s one of the few things I can imagine would that would be big, new, and different enough to warrant that much attention at WWDC.

Gruber didn’t exactly offer much intel on last year’s iPhone 4s, if memory serves.  It is Jim Dalrymple who has the better inside contacts of the two.  With regard to Apple’s iTV, the fact that the Apple aviary isn’t tweeting Gruber means nothing.

I’m amused that some analysts still think the Apple TV, in its current configuration, is the end product for Apple’s position in the living room.

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:35 PM #124

Mercel - 31 May 2012 11:16 PM
    Drew Bear - 30 May 2012 11:26 PM

Gruber speculating.

Gruber didn’t exactly offer much intel on last year’s iPhone 4s, if memory serves.  It is Jim Dalrymple who has the better inside contacts of the two.  With regard to Apple’s iTV, the fact that the Apple aviary isn’t tweeting Gruber means nothing.

I’m amused that some analysts still think the Apple TV, in its current configuration, is the end product for Apple’s position in the living room.

I definitly think apple should and will intro a HDTV in the near future. its too big a market, and too easy for apple to make billions of dollars in profit by barely lifting a finger.

Having said that, I absolutely love my current Apple TV set top box, and I do see a big future for it. In particular I think its capabilities will keep evolving, but more importantly I think it will continue to drop in price.

My prediction: within 12 months it will only cost $49.00, and have 3rd party apps such as games etc.

Medium-Long term, the price will drop to less than $20, and be a revenue earner for apple through content & app sales, and continue to help push iOS device sales.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 31 May 2012 09:12 PM #125

Watch this again for a smile.  Does anyone REALLY think Apple is going to concede some of these these opportunities?  I think not.  Think different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=medium

I’m reminded of the great quote:  “I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.”  Butch Cassidy

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:32 PM #126

I think people also underestimate the potential for apps on both a yet-to-be-announced HDTV running iOS and the current Apple TV set top box.

Becuase of the change in input method (no direct multitouch manipulation of onscreen objects), established Console gaming properties will be more suited (as I presume there will be a new controller - either a new apple controller device or 3rd party accessory guidelines).

I presume these will be similar quality in depth & playabilty to playstation & x-box titles, and as such will be priced in a similar fashion, at least $20-$30 and up for new releases of titles from the big publishers.

When apples 30% cut from these higher price titles starts rolling in, the economics of the app store will swing apples way, going from a break-even operation to a truly profitable one.

A sub $99 apple TV set top box could potentially earn more than $100 in additional income for apple when it sells to someone who might buy a dozen games, and a few dozen movie/TV show rentals over the course of a couple of years.

I think an HDTV would earn more in post-purchase income for apple, as the lifespan is longer and the iOS interface will always be the first thing someone is likely to see whenever they switch it on, and if its like the current appletv interface then that means new release movies, tv shows (and eventually apps) are advertised on the home screen.

[ Edited: 31 May 2012 09:34 PM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 31 May 2012 11:16 PM #127

Mercel - 01 June 2012 12:12 AM

Watch this again for a smile.  Does anyone REALLY think Apple is going to concede some of these these opportunities?  I think not.  Think different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=medium

I’m reminded of the great quote:  “I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.”  Butch Cassidy

The phone in this looks an awful lot like the iPhone 5 parts floating around.  Maybe Cook ment after the iPhone 5 is the time at which “we” will begin.

• Posted: 04 June 2012 10:22 AM #128

This seems like a smart article on the atv roadmap.

http://allthingsd.com/20120604/apple-television-airplay-and-why-the-ipad-is-the-new-tv-apps-platform/

• Posted: 04 June 2012 10:32 AM #129

Horace Dediu’s article about the AppleTV got me thinking. It is a good point that many would not like to upgrade their TVs, but plug the AppleTV into their existing set. What if a salespoint is the display itself. What if you could stream the picture wirelessly from the AppleTV via Airplay to a new Apple display. You could do the same from a Mac, iPad or iPhone. A wireless display would be revolutionary and in line with Apple’s goal to reduce the cable clutter in your home / office.

Posted: 04 June 2012 01:20 PM #130

gliderplane - 04 June 2012 01:22 PM

http://allthingsd.com/20120604/apple-television-airplay-and-why-the-ipad-is-the-new-tv-apps-platform/

This is an excellent article. It is long. I found myself agreeing with most of what the author presents.

...the entire debate over whether Apple ships an actual TV set and introduces some updated iTunes video package is a complete sideshow for a broader and bigger phenomenon and transformation for how we all use TV, and that this transformation is already being rolled out by Apple.

Apple will not anytime soon launch a competitive subscription video product to cable. There are deep structural and contract rights issues that limit their ability to do so…Given this, I believe Apple will seek partnerships with the top cable companies for them to open up their APIs for their EPG, VOD libraries and Network DVR infrastructure so that Apple can offer a superior user experience on top of those services…While this is likely the path Apple will pursue in the mid-term, I believe they are unlikely to get any of the very top-tier TV operators like Comcast and Time Warner to go for their proposal.

Properly conceived, a TV is a large high-definition audio/video rendering device that plays a role in displaying content and related data. While certainly the ideal device for consuming and using video-based content, it is also simply put the largest computer monitor in our lives…Apple sees that TV monitors are just that ? high-quality audio/video rendering devices ? and that the real power lies in application platforms and user interaction devices that can be easily brought to bear on those monitors.

But rather that putting Apple software directly into the TV, they are bringing your existing Apple devices and applications to the TV set without requiring you to buy a new TV monitor…AirPlay allows a user to easily beam any content or application to an Apple TV device…AirPlay is not just for video, increasingly it is for ANY kind of application…AirPlay…I believe is at the center of Apple?s emerging TV strategy.

...I believe that this will likely mean that the core focus for Apple will NOT be on their own TV monitor product, but on continuing to advance a device platform for extending iOS onto TV sets easily, while dipping their toe into the actual TV monitor business as well…

First, Apple will release a new Apple TV add-on product, though I expect that rather than using the current ?puck? design it will instead be a thin black bar, perhaps 1 inch tall and 3 inches wide… it will also include a high-def camera built into it?s face, as well as an embedded iOS environment that provides motion-sensing and speech processing.

Second, Apple will also release a TV monitor product as well with identical capabilities as the updated Apple TV add-on device, but in a design and form factor that presents the Apple brand effectively. Why would they do this when it is such an established market with such long replacement cycles? In short, because they can, and it will be gorgeous and include the latest innovations in display technology, and will sell at a premium price that ensures a reasonable gross margin for Apple.

Posted: 09 June 2012 07:13 PM #131

Drew Bear - 04 June 2012 04:20 PM
    gliderplane - 04 June 2012 01:22 PM

This is an excellent article. It is long. I found myself agreeing with most of what the author presents.

...the entire debate over whether Apple ships an actual TV set and introduces some updated iTunes video package is a complete sideshow for a broader and bigger phenomenon and transformation for how we all use TV, and that this transformation is already being rolled out by Apple.

Apple will not anytime soon launch a competitive subscription video product to cable. There are deep structural and contract rights issues that limit their ability to do so…Given this, I believe Apple will seek partnerships with the top cable companies for them to open up their APIs for their EPG, VOD libraries and Network DVR infrastructure so that Apple can offer a superior user experience on top of those services…While this is likely the path Apple will pursue in the mid-term, I believe they are unlikely to get any of the very top-tier TV operators like Comcast and Time Warner to go for their proposal.

Properly conceived, a TV is a large high-definition audio/video rendering device that plays a role in displaying content and related data. While certainly the ideal device for consuming and using video-based content, it is also simply put the largest computer monitor in our lives…Apple sees that TV monitors are just that ? high-quality audio/video rendering devices ? and that the real power lies in application platforms and user interaction devices that can be easily brought to bear on those monitors.

But rather that putting Apple software directly into the TV, they are bringing your existing Apple devices and applications to the TV set without requiring you to buy a new TV monitor…AirPlay allows a user to easily beam any content or application to an Apple TV device…AirPlay is not just for video, increasingly it is for ANY kind of application…AirPlay…I believe is at the center of Apple?s emerging TV strategy.

...I believe that this will likely mean that the core focus for Apple will NOT be on their own TV monitor product, but on continuing to advance a device platform for extending iOS onto TV sets easily, while dipping their toe into the actual TV monitor business as well…

First, Apple will release a new Apple TV add-on product, though I expect that rather than using the current ?puck? design it will instead be a thin black bar, perhaps 1 inch tall and 3 inches wide… it will also include a high-def camera built into it?s face, as well as an embedded iOS environment that provides motion-sensing and speech processing.

Second, Apple will also release a TV monitor product as well with identical capabilities as the updated Apple TV add-on device, but in a design and form factor that presents the Apple brand effectively. Why would they do this when it is such an established market with such long replacement cycles? In short, because they can, and it will be gorgeous and include the latest innovations in display technology, and will sell at a premium price that ensures a reasonable gross margin for Apple.

I defiantly agree with the last sentence - there’s Just an absurd amount of juicy gross margin just sitting there waiting to be collected.

The long replacement cycle argument I disagree with, and besides most houses these days have 3-4 TVs, so even if I did think the long replacement cycle of TVs is a negative, it’s cancelled out by the fact most people wil be buying multiple tv replacements per household at a regular rate much shorter than one TVs life cycle.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 21 June 2012 10:15 AM #134

Rumor du jour:  Apple HDTV in time for Christmas?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/21/foxconn_rumored_to_begin_receiving_apple_television_lcds_in_q3_2012.html

• Posted: 21 June 2012 11:28 AM #135

Mercel - 21 June 2012 01:15 PM

Rumor du jour:  Apple HDTV in time for Christmas?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/21/foxconn_rumored_to_begin_receiving_apple_television_lcds_in_q3_2012.html

Makes sense. Some of Apple’s partners have had prototypes for over a year now.