The Apple iTV…

• Posted: 25 June 2012 03:05 AM #136

Google and Sony are squatting again to lay another egg. 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/25/google-tv-goes-international-sony-ns7-gs7-set-top-box-up-for-pr/

Posted: 25 June 2012 03:23 AM #137

Sony should just start coding ALL of its products with the WTF prefix.

Seriously, what on Earth does IDK-H2NP or whatever communicate to anyone - even within Sony?

Meanwhile, Apple’s made it more difficult than ever to find its internal model numbers.

[ Edited: 25 June 2012 03:26 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 June 2012 10:47 AM #138

Mav - 25 June 2012 06:23 AM

I just don’t understand what these people are thinking. Was it Lenovo who got killed with all the unsold Google TVs? They had a huge write-down.

Now here’s a new Google TV that’s more of the same. More tech, same philosophy, same philosophical dead end.

It’s like they’re banging their heads against a wall, they see blood and they conclude: “Hey, I’m making the wall bleed!”

Posted: 25 June 2012 05:13 PM #139

Mav - 25 June 2012 06:23 AM

Seriously, what on Earth does IDK-H2NP or whatever communicate to anyone - even within Sony?

Meanwhile, Apple’s made it more difficult than ever to find its internal model numbers.

IDK-H2NP = I Don’t Know - Hate 2 Not Play

It is their mantra. Tantamount to “throw everything against the wall, see what sticks.”

<ducks>

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 25 June 2012 05:32 PM #140

I don’t know how to name products, actually.

Not a bad guess. wink

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:59 PM #141

Something big is going on with Apple TV in Cupertino, but it?s still being cooked.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/06/26/claim-chowder-geller

A pre-WWDC post from Gruber:

Apps for Apple TV is just a guess…

No television set…yet.

Posted: 14 July 2012 03:07 AM #142

http://www.epeat.net/

From “An Open Letter from Robert Frisbee, EPEAT CEO”

An interesting question for EPEAT is how to reward innovations that are not yet envisioned with standards that are fixed at a point in time. Diverse goals, optional points awarded for innovations not yet described, and flexibility within specified parameters to make this happen are all on the table in EPEAT stakeholder discussions. And of course, timely standards development, as with newly created Imaging Equipment and Television standards, and the current refresh of the PC/Display standard, is critical as well.

(Emphasis mine.)

Your take, Mercel? wink

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 July 2012 03:25 AM #143

Mav - 14 July 2012 06:07 AM

http://www.epeat.net/

From “An Open Letter from Robert Frisbee, EPEAT CEO”

An interesting question for EPEAT is how to reward innovations that are not yet envisioned with standards that are fixed at a point in time. Diverse goals, optional points awarded for innovations not yet described, and flexibility within specified parameters to make this happen are all on the table in EPEAT stakeholder discussions. And of course, timely standards development, as with newly created Imaging Equipment and Television standards, and the current refresh of the PC/Display standard, is critical as well.

(Emphasis mine.)

Your take, Mercel? wink

Not much.  EPEAT is attempting to appear forward thinking despite a history of a reactionary, slow moving organization.  I doubt there’s any communication going on between Apple and EPEAT with regard to TV standards.

• Posted: 14 July 2012 03:41 AM #144

Tim Cook in Sun Valley:  Pretty interesting reading.  A paragraph to add some thermal units to iTV rumors (emphasis in bold is mine)

That doesn’t mean he’s standing pat. Executives at Sun Valley say that this year, media companies seem more willing than ever to consider aggressive new deals with technology companies. “The industry is coming out of this hibernation period of the last couple of years,” Slingbox co-creator and Amazon board member Blake Krikorian told Bloomberg. “More of the content owners and networks are looking to play offense.” Even Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes, who once seemed completely determined to kill Netflix just to watch it die, has reached a kind of d?tente with CEO Reed Hastings.

The entire article can be found here:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/13/3155042/tim-cook-private-in-public-sun-valley-summit

I appreciate the higher profile Tim Cook is making representing Apple.

Posted: 31 July 2012 03:39 PM #145

Continuing with the detente theme

Apple and Hulu deal

CNBC

The launch of subscription service Hulu Plus on Apple TV is more than just another incremental video distribution deal.

Source: blog.hulu.com
    Hulu Plus for Apple TV.

It should be a win-win for both companies, and most importantly ? it gives us a glimpse of what Apple has planned for its Apple TV service.

CEO Tim Cook is clearly looking to make Apple TV the destination for premium content without a cable subscription, even if that means opening the door to more competition for Apple?s iTunes. This announcement is a big deal, in that it?s the first time ad-supported TV content is available through the Apple TV box.

Bottom line: The future of Apple TV may be less about a gadget, and more about access to premium content.

Apple [AAPL Loading…    ()    ] is making a carefully calibrated tradeoff. It?s giving Apple TV owners easy access to Hulu Plus content, which competes with some of Apple iTunes? video-on-demand offerings. But it?s willing to make that compromise to amass the kind of premium content to help it sell more Apple TV devices.

I agree that Apple is wanting the content to flow.

But this does not exclude a television by Apple in the least.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 04:01 PM #146

Tetrachloride - 31 July 2012 06:39 PM

I agree that Apple is wanting the content to flow.

Agreed.  In ADDITION TO content, Apple has a significant contribution to make to the TV experience.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 04:10 PM #147

PED has a write up on Hulu Plus’ added to Apple TV’s ecosystem.  I think Apple is going to chip away at the dominance of the cable operators and content providers until both are forced to play ball with it.

No one likes Comcast and many are just looking for an excuse to pull the plug on them.  Hulu Plus is another step in that direction.

Posted: 31 July 2012 04:24 PM #148

In a way this isn’t much different from YouTube and later Netflix support.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 August 2012 12:57 AM #149

Tetrachloride - 31 July 2012 06:39 PM

Yeah, it really does.

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:09 AM #150

I think its the opposite - the more content apple let’s users get from other providers, the less money it makes from its own content on the current appleTV box.

I dont see much point making a big push for non-apple content just for the AppleTV set top box, which has less profit per device than the iPod shuffle.

My first thought is that the only point in bringing other distributorss in to provide content is if you are going to make juicy hardware profits on that device (which apple isn’t currently doing).

On the other hand, if everyone starts watching movies / tv shows primarily with their apple tv set top box, then I guess there is more chance they buy some iTunes movies alongside it.

Now I’m conflicted.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics