The Apple iTV…

• Posted: 01 August 2012 10:50 AM #151

FalKirk - 01 August 2012 03:57 AM
    Tetrachloride - 31 July 2012 06:39 PM

But this does not exclude a television by Apple in the least.

Yeah, it really does.

Sorry, I think you are dead wrong for all the reasons previously cited.

• Posted: 01 August 2012 06:07 PM #152

Burgess - 01 August 2012 08:09 AM

I think its the opposite - the more content apple let’s users get from other providers, the less money it makes from its own content on the current appleTV box.

First, Apple is not in the content sale business.

Second, Apple still makes 30% from the monthly subscription fee paid to Hulu Plus.

• Posted: 01 August 2012 06:08 PM #153

Mercel - 01 August 2012 01:50 PM
    FalKirk - 01 August 2012 03:57 AM
    Tetrachloride - 31 July 2012 06:39 PM

But this does not exclude a television by Apple in the least.

Yeah, it really does.

Sorry, I think you are dead wrong for all the reasons previously cited.

I know you do. smile

Posted: 02 August 2012 07:14 AM #154

FalKirk - 01 August 2012 09:07 PM

I think its the opposite - the more content apple let’s users get from other providers, the less money it makes from its own content on the current appleTV box.

Second, Apple still makes 30% from the monthly subscription fee paid to Hulu Plus.

That was my point - apple isn’t in the content sale business (sure it sells media through iTunes, but it’s at break even or thereabouts) - so why bother selling the AppleTV set top box which makes sweet bugger all profit?

Apple sold just over a million apple tv boxes last quarter at about $30 profit per unit. An apple HDTV would sell much more than that each quarter and make over $300 profit per unit.

In fact an apple HDTV would likely actually improve AppleTV set top box sales, as those that see the new premium Apple HDTV but can’t afford it will likely get the set top box instead (like those that buy the macmini instead of an iMac, or buy an iPod touch instead of an iPhone).

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 03 August 2012 10:09 AM #155

Gene Steinberg, TechNightOwl, formerly known as MacNightOwl, opines on the scene :  TechNightOwl

I like Gene’s big picture overview.  He compares competing product Roku 2 set top box to Apple TV.  Mentions the possibility of Apple television.  Kicks at the bucket of cable companies and their losses.

Finally the big one is bandwidth limitations.   

Gene doesn’t exclude anything in the long run, but he’s slightly pessimistic in the short run.

Read the whole story please.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 09:08 AM #156

Burgess - 02 August 2012 10:14 AM

That was my point - apple isn’t in the content sale business (sure it sells media through iTunes, but it’s at break even or thereabouts) - so why bother selling the AppleTV set top box which makes sweet bugger all profit?

Apple sold just over a million apple tv boxes last quarter at about $30 profit per unit. An apple HDTV would sell much more than that each quarter and make over $300 profit per unit.

In fact an apple HDTV would likely actually improve AppleTV set top box sales, as those that see the new premium Apple HDTV but can’t afford it will likely get the set top box instead (like those that buy the macmini instead of an iMac, or buy an iPod touch instead of an iPhone).

Ah, I see. We’re coming at this from to diametrically opposed positions.

You look at a potential Apple Television Set as hardware that can make a profit.

I look at Apple TV as a peripheral that extends the range of the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad to the larger television screen. I think that the Apple TV should be sold as inexpensively as possible - similar to content - because it helps to sell the other Apple hardware devices.

• Posted: 05 August 2012 06:33 PM #157

Google would be such a great partner in disrupting cable companies for apple tv. It’s to bad things got ugly between them with the release of android.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/google-fiber-must-succeed-198733

Apple will still benefit from this if google can pull off this sort of disruption.

Posted: 08 August 2012 04:46 PM #158

Consumers want their Apple TV and are saying so…

http://news.investors.com/article/621440/201208081532/survey-shows-consumers-want-apple-television.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo

Here is Gene Munster’s note on the demand….

http://piper-newlibrary.bluematrix.com/common/LibraryServlet?userId=1&action=com.bluematrix.library.action.ViewDoc&id=37577d5f-b516-4cbf-b55b-7aaeb2ddec5a&mime=pdf

[ Edited: 08 August 2012 04:49 PM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 08 August 2012 07:51 PM #159

Red Shirted Ensign - 08 August 2012 07:46 PM

Consumers want their Apple TV and are saying so…

http://news.investors.com/article/621440/201208081532/survey-shows-consumers-want-apple-television.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo

Here is Gene Munster’s note on the demand….

http://piper-newlibrary.bluematrix.com/common/LibraryServlet?userId=1&action=com.bluematrix.library.action.ViewDoc&id=37577d5f-b516-4cbf-b55b-7aaeb2ddec5a&mime=pdf

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Thanks for posting the link! I keep saying to people that consumers are much more likely to purchase an Apple HDTV than a appletv set top box, even though the price (and margins) will be 10x higher. Now I have a survey result to back me up.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 08 August 2012 07:58 PM #160

FalKirk - 04 August 2012 12:08 PM
    Burgess - 02 August 2012 10:14 AM

Ah, I see. We’re coming at this from to diametrically opposed positions.

You look at a potential Apple Television Set as hardware that can make a profit.

I look at Apple TV as a peripheral that extends the range of the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad to the larger television screen. I think that the Apple TV should be sold as inexpensively as possible - similar to content - because it helps to sell the other Apple hardware devices.

I guess there is no reason both approaches cant work together - the apple TV set top box can be viewed as a iOS peripheral that enhances iOS device sales (and now airplay enabled macs), and an Apple HDTV can be viewed as an entirely new seperate high margin product line.

[ Edited: 08 August 2012 08:16 PM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 16 August 2012 12:17 AM #161

Via Dalrymple:

Apple’s New Front in Battle for TV

Apple Inc. is in talks with some of the biggest U.S. cable operators about letting consumers use an Apple device as a set-top box for live television and other content, according to people familiar with the matter.

Source: WSJ paywalled, so the link won’t work. Google the title or read this take on the WSJ article: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/08/16/apple-reportedly-focusing-efforts-new-set-top-box-device-live-tv-broadcasts-content/

Note that it’s a set-top box, not an actual TV set. Before you get too excited, here’s the next part:

Apple doesn’t appear to have reached a deal with any cable operators. One obstacle may be the reluctance of operators to let Apple establish a foothold in the television business.

By building a set-top box that could be used with cable operators, Apple would be following a similar playbook that it used to transform the mobile-phone industry: convincing existing service providers to marry their service with Apple’s hardware and software.

The approach has allowed Apple to profit by selling iPhones while carriers carry the cost burden of delivering the service but hope to benefit by selling more data to customers.

Apple sells a $99 Apple TV box that lets users access some Internet video on their television sets, but not live channels supplied by cable operators. Whether the device under discussion is an iteration of that hardware or a more sophisticated box is unclear.

Two people briefed on the matter said the technology involved could ultimately be embedded in a television. Apple has worked on prototypes for televisions in the past, according to people briefed on the projects.

Edited to add a bit more:

Apple contemplated building a cable set-top box more than two years ago before it launched the latest version of its Apple TV, according to a person familiar with the matter. At the time, Apple’s then CEO Steve Jobs was dismissive of the idea, believing working with cable operators was problematic because they didn’t have national reach?each served only defined geographic territories. Another issue: entertainment companies own most of the content, not the operators…

Cable operators have also been put off in the past by Apple’s demand for a 30% cut on certain transactions going through the box…

For cable operators, the advantage of a deal with Apple is that it could allow them to reduce the money they spend buying set-top boxes, which are leased to customers for a monthly fee. It could also help them hang on to customers who can watch video through a growing array of Internet alternatives, as both traditional TV and Web video would be available through the same device.

[ Edited: 16 August 2012 12:31 AM by Drew Bear ]      

Posted: 16 August 2012 12:32 AM #162

Hundreds of dollars.  Bwahaha.

As if eternal monthly payments are somehow better?

I think Apple has massive room to surprise should the Apple DVR ever see the light of day.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 August 2012 03:25 AM #163

reiterates my yearly cast-bread-upon-the-waters

Apple buys a few content providers (not Disney, puh-leeze) one way or another.

p.s.  Netflix is going down unless they get some more content.  I’m running out.

• Posted: 16 August 2012 04:32 AM #164

Music industry… disrupted.

Bookstores… disrupted (sadly, for me)

Newspapers… disrupted.

Magazines… disrupted (for latest, see here - and this is before the iPad Air)

TV… not going to be able to fight the tide much longer.

• Posted: 16 August 2012 08:21 AM #165

I remember Horace Dediu once saying that you don’t disrupt an industry by partnering with them. Yet Apple did just that with phones.

Yet, in may ways, you can see why Apple was reluctant to partner with the carriers and why so many people predicted that they would never do so. Apple owns 70% of the iPod market and 70% of the tablet market but only 15-30% of the phone market. And the big difference is that the carriers are acting as distribution chokeholds.

I never thought that Apple could work with the TV cable companies. That seems counter-intuitieve. But maybe it’s the phone industry all over again. Instead of disrupting an industry, Apple has to do it the hard way and disrupt each component of the industry one-by-one.

Whatever happens happens. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.