The Apple iTV…

• Posted: 16 August 2012 08:53 AM #166

I was listening to the JDSU Conf call.  Interesting exchange during the q/a that may be Apple TV.  They are tight lipped but the CEO couldn’t resist.  It would be a new business area for them:
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/807701-jds-uniphase-management-discusses-q4-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=7&p=qanda&l=last

• Posted: 16 August 2012 09:01 AM #167

fas550 - 16 August 2012 11:53 AM

I was listening to the JDSU Conf call.  Interesting exchange during the q/a that may be Apple TV.  They are tight lipped but the CEO couldn’t resist.  It would be a new business area for them:
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/807701-jds-uniphase-management-discusses-q4-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=7&p=qanda&l=last

This was the statement where I woke up, “
    This is Alan. Thanks for the question. It’s a different customer, and it is a new application for that customer.”.
    Then they got into more detail like its related to home entertainment.  Quite intriguing

• Posted: 16 August 2012 10:32 AM #168

fas550 - 16 August 2012 12:01 PM

This is Alan. Thanks for the question. It’s a different customer, and it is a new application for that customer.”.
    Then they got into more detail like its related to home entertainment.  Quite intriguing

Not knowing much about JDSU, any idea what JDSU might make that would involve Apple home entertainment? (Sorry in advance for the basic question.)

• Posted: 16 August 2012 11:11 AM #169

gliderplane - 16 August 2012 01:32 PM

Not knowing much about JDSU, any idea what JDSU might make that would involve Apple home entertainment? (Sorry in advance for the basic question.)

Yes I am trying to figure that out too.  Could be a new business areas but could be a complete red herring.  I would not even think about the link if the CEO had not said consumer market, related to TV which is intriguing as it does not seem to be in their business area right now however they have a lot of expertise in optics, light and related materials.

• Posted: 16 August 2012 11:18 AM #170

fas550 - 16 August 2012 02:11 PM
    gliderplane - 16 August 2012 01:32 PM

Yes I am trying to figure that out too.  Could be a new business areas but could be a complete red herring.  I would not even think about the link if the CEO had not said consumer market, related to TV which is intriguing as it does not seem to be in their business area right now however they have a lot of expertise in optics, light and related materials.

Umm looking at some press releases they have made some very high end (in 2010) and frameless display.  They seems to have high end displays for military, medical etc..  New business area in consumer, TV? starting to make sense.

Posted: 16 August 2012 12:00 PM #171

Red Shirted Ensign - 02 March 2012 04:22 PM

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print, measuring about 20” by 36” so she could look at it sitting on different pieces of large furntiure, or perhaps mounted on the wall.

The print is framed with a virtually borderless plastic edge and covered front and back with two sheets of very thin glass. (the print is a historic document, which looks equally interesting sitting on a large credenza or on a wall mount.)  It weighs only a few pounds and the framing includes a plastic inset stand in case the credenza option wins out.

As I was moving this from place to place, stepping back to look at it, holding it up on the wall, setting it on a desk, I started wondering….what if this was a television viewing device (not “set”).

What if I could simply lift this device from room to room, plug in a power cord and it would give me access to anything I wanted to watch where I wanted to watch it. Bedroom, Bathroom (go Sponge!), downstairs rec room…and its “home base” of the living room.

What if this thin device could be hooked to an existing wall device in some rooms (decorative, of course) and have a graceful, light, stand in others.  What if after plugging it in all I had to do what tell it what I wanted it to do?  It would detect my wi-fi network of course and being a smart object, it would know how to structure my “viewing” needs effectively, requiring only a word or two from me….no cable box, no rabbit ears, just an internal antennae. 

I used to own a “portable television”, 13 inch screen side and capable of being plugged into a power outlet, cable box or rabbit ears, but this would be something quite different….

I started hefting the glass covered print in my hands and flipping it around. I set it up against a wall and then propped it on a kitchedn counter. I began to wonder how it might look if it was lit up and had images on it…..

Now, 36 inches is not 42 (things could get clumsy), but man, it got me thinking about what a “portable” television might really look like going forward.

I know my comment is a bit late to the party, but what if the Apple TV is enhanced to do all the work of content selection, etc. and just AirPlays the video to the Ensign’s viewing device. And what if the viewing device gets its power via an electric field versus an electric plug (no ugly cables). And if the remote (iPad, iPhone, Magic Trackpad, etc.) communicates to the Apple TV via WiFi. Then the Ensign’s vision is very do-able. And very elegant.

• Posted: 16 August 2012 12:35 PM #172

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print

Laugh of the day.

PikesPique - 16 August 2012 03:00 PM

no ugly cables

You gotta figure the endgame is gonna be something like what you describe.

Posted: 16 August 2012 12:44 PM #173

Centsless - 16 August 2012 03:35 PM

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print

Laugh of the day.

no ugly cables

Agreed.  Hi Def screen, one plug.  Airplay provides content.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 16 August 2012 01:10 PM #174

incorrigible - 16 August 2012 03:44 PM
    Centsless - 16 August 2012 03:35 PM

Laugh of the day.

no ugly cables

Agreed.  Hi Def screen, one plug.  Airplay provides content.

Hi Def, no plugs (e.g., see WiTricity). Hide the AppleTV box (and its ugly wires, if any) in a closet. Just the screen and single remote are visible. All your TV “inputs” (cable, Blu-Ray, etc.) connect to the AppleTV (not the display). Move the screen from room to room at the “Commodore’s” whim and it still works fine. “Viewing device” can become very lightweight and might be able to hang it just like a painting (no ugly wall mount).

• Posted: 16 August 2012 01:51 PM #175

fas550 - 16 August 2012 02:18 PM

Umm looking at some press releases they have made some very high end (in 2010) and frameless display.  They seems to have high end displays for military, medical etc..  New business area in consumer, TV? starting to make sense.

Very interesting. Thanks for the update.

Posted: 16 August 2012 02:18 PM #176

PikesPique - 16 August 2012 04:10 PM

Hi Def, no plugs (e.g., see WiTricity). Hide the AppleTV box (and its ugly wires, if any) in a closet. Just the screen and single remote are visible. All your TV “inputs” (cable, Blu-Ray, etc.) connect to the AppleTV (not the display). Move the screen from room to room at the “Commodore’s” whim and it still works fine. “Viewing device” can become very lightweight and might be able to hang it just like a painting (no ugly wall mount).

Not really ready for prime time but intriguing non the less.  From an FAQ:

WiTricity technology is designed for ?mid-range? distances, which we consider to be anywhere from a centimeter to several meters. The actual operating range for a given application is determined by many factors, including power source and capture device sizes, desired efficiency, and the amount of power to be transferred.

Perhaps an internal battery to permit use in an area not near an outlet.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 16 August 2012 02:40 PM #177

PikesPique - 16 August 2012 04:10 PM

How sweet would that be? I’d love to have a TV for my bedroom and living room when I purchase my first home next year. But with all the other things I foresee myself needing, I can’t justify buying two. Having this setup would be fantastic.

Posted: 17 August 2012 10:52 AM #178

iPad Mini and Apple TV in production, says Peter Misek.  This conjecture is based on unusual increases in Hon Hai’s July production.

Brought to you by Eric Savitz at Forbes

• Posted: 17 August 2012 11:32 AM #179

Tetrachloride - 17 August 2012 01:52 PM

iPad Mini and Apple TV in production, says Peter Misek.  This conjecture is based on unusual increases in Hon Hai’s July production.

Brought to you by Eric Savitz at Forbes

iPad mini I believe.

Apple TV? I don’t think so.

• Posted: 17 August 2012 12:08 PM #180

More on Apple HDTV in production, using ATT and VZ to sell a premium set.  Interesting.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/17/jefferies-apple-to-partner-with-att-and-verizon-on-premium-apple-television-release-separate-cable-set-top-box-for-comcast/