The Apple iTV…

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:16 PM #31

Check THIS video out.” A Day Made of Glass” by Corning.

Spot any future Apple products?

:apple:

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:26 PM #32

I knew it!! iStove does exist in the near future!  tongue laugh

Signature

Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Posted: 01 March 2012 09:19 PM #33

Munster Mania….The Apple ITV will be the biggest thing since the smartphone. Bigger than waffles….

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/01/munster-on-apples-mythical-hdtv-set-it-will-be-the-biggest-thing-in-consumer-electronics-since-the-smartphone/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 01 March 2012 10:28 PM #34

One thought on iTV. Remember there is no existing Apple product to ?Osborne? with an early announcement. In fact, you want an announcement for this product 6 months ahead of the actual release to freeze the market of those interested in buying a new TV. So, while I?m not saying we?ll see this next week (as that would take too much of the free publicity away from iPad 3), I do think we should consider a lead time which compares to the original iPhone announcement.

Posted: 01 March 2012 10:44 PM #35

cranium - 02 March 2012 02:28 AM

One thought on iTV. Remember there is no existing Apple product to ?Osborne? with an early announcement. In fact, you want an announcement for this product 6 months ahead of the actual release to freeze the market of those interested in buying a new TV. So, while I?m not saying we?ll see this next week (as that would take too much of the free publicity away from iPad 3), I do think we should consider a lead time which compares to the original iPhone announcement.

Agreed. WWDC would be a perfect time for this. Especially if apple were to release a SDK for developers to write apps for it.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 02 March 2012 12:38 AM #36

Burgess - 02 March 2012 02:44 AM
    cranium - 02 March 2012 02:28 AM

Agreed. WWDC would be a perfect time for this. Especially if apple were to release a SDK for developers to write apps for it.

Sounds good. I?ll put that in my financial event calendar now ( with a reminder to expect a pre-event “rumor rally? in the month before).

• Posted: 02 March 2012 01:15 AM #37

One of the posters commenting on the story linked by Red hit on the relevant dots to connect:

Folks ...read the tea leaves here.

Apple owns a high volume media store
    Apple enters into a mysterious licensing deal with Rovi. Reported widely around Sep 20 2010
    Apple adds Sharp as a LCD vendor
    Apple is revamping the iTunes store
    Apple is integrating Bluetooth 4.0 into EVERYTHING
    iTunes match is set to stream variable quality music
    iCloud is put into place ...iTunes in the cloud ushered in
    The “Mac” in OS X is dropped

• Posted: 02 March 2012 01:33 AM #38

Just published story that Apple plans to launch streaming service by Christmas, despite roadblocks set by the content providers.

I am so tired of Comcast and the utterly crappy service they provide. 

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/01/apple-plans-to-launch-tv-streaming-service-by-christmas-content-providers-resist/

• Posted: 02 March 2012 07:01 AM #39

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/03/02/apple-could-next-weeks-event-include-a-huge-surprise/

I think Peter has been reading our posts about the iTV announcement being 6 months ahead of the product release. Peter, are you there?

If so, remember we do not think they’d steal the spotlight from iPad during its day in the sun. Apple needs the writers to focus on iPad for the next few weeks. WWDC, now there is a date we like.

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:26 AM #40

cranium - 02 March 2012 11:01 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/03/02/apple-could-next-weeks-event-include-a-huge-surprise/

I think Peter has been reading our posts about the iTV announcement being 6 months ahead of the product release. Peter, are you there?

If so, remember we do not think they’d steal the spotlight from iPad during its day in the sun. Apple needs the writers to focus on iPad for the next few weeks. WWDC, now there is a date we like.

I agree.  Keep in mind that the TV market is not growing and Apple is not missing the boat so to speak. Time is on their side.  The more iPads they sell the more likely they will be to hit a home run right off the bat.

They need millions of iOS users as a bargain chip against the content providers.  I still give the iTV another 18 months at least.

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:05 PM #41

Any Apple HDTV would need an SoC.

No way in heck chip supplies will be diverted from iPhone/iPad at this critical period.

It _would_ be interesting, though, if the Apple HDTV ran that rumored A5X.  I mean, the last time we saw a metal-“shielded” processor, it was in the larger PowerMac G5 and iMac G5 enclosures.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:14 PM #42

The one thing I don’t understand is how do they get around the broadband caps the telcos have implemented. I think my AT&T service allows 10gb until I reach another tier.

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:22 PM #43

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print, measuring about 20” by 36” so she could look at it sitting on different pieces of large furntiure, or perhaps mounted on the wall.

The print is framed with a virtually borderless plastic edge and covered front and back with two sheets of very thin glass. (the print is a historic document, which looks equally interesting sitting on a large credenza or on a wall mount.)  It weighs only a few pounds and the framing includes a plastic inset stand in case the credenza option wins out.

As I was moving this from place to place, stepping back to look at it, holding it up on the wall, setting it on a desk, I started wondering….what if this was a television viewing device (not “set”).

What if I could simply lift this device from room to room, plug in a power cord and it would give me access to anything I wanted to watch where I wanted to watch it. Bedroom, Bathroom (go Sponge!), downstairs rec room…and its “home base” of the living room.

What if this thin device could be hooked to an existing wall device in some rooms (decorative, of course) and have a graceful, light, stand in others.  What if after plugging it in all I had to do what tell it what I wanted it to do?  It would detect my wi-fi network of course and being a smart object, it would know how to structure my “viewing” needs effectively, requiring only a word or two from me….no cable box, no rabbit ears, just an internal antennae. 

I used to own a “portable television”, 13 inch screen side and capable of being plugged into a power outlet, cable box or rabbit ears, but this would be something quite different….

I started hefting the glass covered print in my hands and flipping it around. I set it up against a wall and then propped it on a kitchedn counter. I began to wonder how it might look if it was lit up and had images on it…..

Now, 36 inches is not 42 (things could get clumsy), but man, it got me thinking about what a “portable” television might really look like going forward.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:30 PM #44

Red Shirted Ensign - 02 March 2012 04:22 PM

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print, measuring about 20” by 36” so she could look at it sitting on different pieces of large furntiure, or perhaps mounted on the wall.

The print is framed with a virtually borderless plastic edge and covered front and back with two sheets of very thin glass. (the print is a historic document, which looks equally interesting sitting on a large credenza or on a wall mount.)  It weighs only a few pounds and the framing includes a plastic inset stand in case the credenza option wins out.

As I was moving this from place to place, stepping back to look at it, holding it up on the wall, setting it on a desk, I started wondering….what if this was a television viewing device (not “set”).

What if I could simply lift this device from room to room, plug in a power cord and it would give me access to anything I wanted to watch where I wanted to watch it. Bedroom, Bathroom (go Sponge!), downstairs rec room…and its “home base” of the living room.

What if this thin device could be hooked to an existing wall device in some rooms (decorative, of course) and have a graceful, light, stand in others.  What if after plugging it in all I had to do what tell it what I wanted it to do?  It would detect my wi-fi network of course and being a smart object, it would know how to structure my “viewing” needs effectively, requiring only a word or two from me….no cable box, no rabbit ears, just an internal antennae. 

I used to own a “portable television”, 13 inch screen side and capable of being plugged into a power outlet, cable box or rabbit ears, but this would be something quite different….

I started hefting the glass covered print in my hands and flipping it around. I set it up against a wall and then propped it on a kitchedn counter. I began to wonder how it might look if it was lit up and had images on it…..

Now, 36 inches is not 42 (things could get clumsy), but man, it got me thinking about what a “portable” television might really look like going forward.

Very interesting thoughts!  Quite “Job-sian”  IMO.  That would be awesome.  The worst thing about TV as it stands is the “cable” plug.  All rooms have electrical outlets, but not cable.

Maybe I will put off the kitchen wall TV install until I hear more about iTV.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix