The Apple iTV…

• Posted: 06 March 2012 11:06 AM #46

Red Shirted Ensign - 02 March 2012 04:22 PM

Yesterday I had an assigned task by the Commodore to move from room to room in our house a framed print, measuring about 20” by 36” so she could look at it sitting on different pieces of large furntiure, or perhaps mounted on the wall.

The print is framed with a virtually borderless plastic edge and covered front and back with two sheets of very thin glass. (the print is a historic document, which looks equally interesting sitting on a large credenza or on a wall mount.)  It weighs only a few pounds and the framing includes a plastic inset stand in case the credenza option wins out.

As I was moving this from place to place, stepping back to look at it, holding it up on the wall, setting it on a desk, I started wondering….what if this was a television viewing device (not “set”).

What if I could simply lift this device from room to room, plug in a power cord and it would give me access to anything I wanted to watch where I wanted to watch it. Bedroom, Bathroom (go Sponge!), downstairs rec room…and its “home base” of the living room.

You use a Commodore computer?  grin

The first step is cracking the cable company box and/or getting their approval.  And then you’re right, the rest gets much easier and we’re down to one AC plug.  An updated Apple TV with a coaxial cable fitting off the back of it would be a very big deal.

Posted: 07 March 2012 09:13 PM #47

Tim Cook, at the end of todays iPad event:

?Only Apple could deliver this kind of innovation, in such a beautiful, integrated, and easy-to-use way. It?s what we love to do. It?s what we stand for. And across the year, you?re going to see a lot more of this kind of innovation. We are just getting started.?

sounds promising…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 08 March 2012 03:17 PM #48

Yup!

With iPad new, if any Apple television is to ever see the light of day, I’d have to think it’s 2560x1440 or higher.  4K even?!

No way Apple would settle for mere 1080p now.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 March 2012 12:05 AM #49

Anyone notice that shipping times on Apple TV has slipped to 1-2 weeks?

Posted: 09 March 2012 12:46 AM #50

Yep, in intraday I think!

It’s a “miniscule” but still nice add to Apple’s financial results, apparently.  smile  Apple TVs both increase ecosystem stickiness _and_ bring new customers into the Apple tent.  I’m not that surprised that Apple TV is so popular, given broad AirPlay support across Apple’s product line.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 March 2012 01:18 AM #51

Mav - 09 March 2012 04:46 AM

Yep, in intraday I think!

It’s a “miniscule” but still nice add to Apple’s financial results, apparently.  smile  Apple TVs both increase ecosystem stickiness _and_ bring new customers into the Apple tent.  I’m not that surprised that Apple TV is so popular, given broad AirPlay support across Apple’s product line.

We ditched Netcrap and went Apple TV quite a while ago. Never looked back!!!

Also, just purchase Rev 3 along with two iPads. Looking forward to going 1080P.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

Posted: 10 March 2012 02:44 AM #52

I see new iPads and Apple TV as being very complementary purchases.  They are, after all, very much made for each other.  Even putting aside their introductions during the same keynote event. LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 March 2012 03:48 PM #53

Looking good for a WWDC introduction….

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/13/production_of_apple_television_expected_to_begin_in_mayjune_for_late_2012_launch.html

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 13 March 2012 08:45 PM #54

Burgess - 13 March 2012 06:48 PM

Looking good for a WWDC introduction….

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/13/production_of_apple_television_expected_to_begin_in_mayjune_for_late_2012_launch.html

Me thinks too soon.  I’m betting on Sept. announcement.

Posted: 13 March 2012 09:23 PM #55

Why would Apple introduce a TV at WWDC?

It’d be iOS 6, OS X 10.8, and maybe a Mac Pro at the beginning (potentially the last upgrade it’ll ever have).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:09 PM #56

Mav - 14 March 2012 12:23 AM

It’d be iOS 6, OS X 10.8, and maybe a Mac Pro at the beginning (potentially the last upgrade it’ll ever have).

OS X 10.8 has already been announced. It might get released then, but that wouldn’t be Keynote worthy. They might release a new MacPro, but again, wouldn’t headline the Keynote. As for iOS 6. I’d say it’s very possible. What if iOS 6 included the ability to develop apps for the Apple TV / iTV?

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:12 PM #57

Announce the TV at WWDC so developers can get the SDK & workshops on how to optimize apps for it. Actual release could be 2 to 6 months later

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:17 PM #58

Possible.  Don’t underestimate the willingness of Apple to rehash upcoming OS features, though. wink

I’m with Mercel though, not by WWDC.  Apple has so many other things on its plate right now.  iPad rightly should take up the *cough* Mountain Lion’s share of Apple’s attention.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:20 PM #59

Burgess - 14 March 2012 01:12 AM

Announce the TV at WWDC so developers can get the SDK & workshops on how to optimize apps for it. Actual release could be 2 to 6 months later

I keep hearing rumors of Apple announcing the iTV, or whatever it will be called, at WWDC months before the hardware goes on sale.    This would immediately freeze ALL hdtv/internet TV sales until the Apple model hit the shelves BUT seems a little unorthodox for Apple.  Has Apple done this sort of thing in the past?

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:21 PM #60

Sure!

iPhone 1.

iPad 1.

That Was Easy?.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.