Posted: 13 March 2012 10:24 PM #61

Mav - 14 March 2012 01:21 AM

Sure!

iPhone 1.

iPad 1.

That Was Easy?.

How many months before the release?

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:27 PM #62

Don’t recall exactly.  But it’s easy to Google or Bing or Wikipedia it if you’re seeking specifics.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 March 2012 10:30 PM #63

Burgess - 14 March 2012 01:12 AM
    Mav - 14 March 2012 12:23 AM

Why would Apple introduce a TV at WWDC?

It’d be iOS 6, OS X 10.8, and maybe a Mac Pro at the beginning (potentially the last upgrade it’ll ever have).

Announce the TV at WWDC so developers can get the SDK & workshops on how to optimize apps for it. Actual release could be 2 to 6 months later

It’s plausible.  I just don’t think Apple will have eliminated all the potential issues by WWDC to announce a future launch date.  I hope they do, of course.

MacBook Pro Airs in 15” and 17” flavors could be the hardware announcement of WWDC, if there is hardware to announce.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:31 PM #64

Intel graphics though?  Blech!  Here’s hoping the rumors are demonstrably false.  Apple needs good graphics at least where the demographic demands it.

That’s the great part about making your own SoC though.  Whatever Apple uses, it’ll make for a smarter, smoother-experience TV than you’ve ever seen.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 March 2012 10:32 PM #65

Mav - 14 March 2012 01:31 AM

Intel graphics though?  Blech!  Here’s hoping the rumors are demonstrably false.  Apple needs good graphics at least where the demographic demands it.

Agreed.  I’ve extended my time-frame for MBA 17” due to this hardware constraint.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:34 PM #66

To the extent you’re worried about the 17” MacBook Air not having great graphics, I wouldn’t worry.  Though yes, as far as timeframe, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 17” Air is preceded by the 15” version by at least a few months as per historical upgrade cycles.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:38 PM #67

afterglow - 14 March 2012 01:24 AM
    Mav - 14 March 2012 01:21 AM

Sure!

iPhone 1.

iPad 1.

That Was Easy?.

How many months before the release?

IIRC, iPhone 1 was a 6 month gap between announce and release. The iPad was 3 or 4 months.

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:55 PM #68

Mercel - 14 March 2012 01:30 AM
    Burgess - 14 March 2012 01:12 AM
    Mav - 14 March 2012 12:23 AM

Why would Apple introduce a TV at WWDC?

It’d be iOS 6, OS X 10.8, and maybe a Mac Pro at the beginning (potentially the last upgrade it’ll ever have).

Announce the TV at WWDC so developers can get the SDK & workshops on how to optimize apps for it. Actual release could be 2 to 6 months later

It’s plausible.  I just don’t think Apple will have eliminated all the potential issues by WWDC to announce a future launch date.  I hope they do, of course.

MacBook Pro Airs in 15” and 17” flavors could be the hardware announcement of WWDC, if there is hardware to announce.

If I’m reading my tea leaves correctly, I think new laptops sooner than June for sure.

• Posted: 14 March 2012 10:21 AM #69

ChasMac77 - 14 March 2012 01:55 AM

If I’m reading my tea leaves correctly, I think new laptops sooner than June for sure.

I’m hoping and expectant as well.  April is the most likely month.

Posted: 27 April 2012 11:17 PM #70

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/04/27/apple-jefferies-sees-high-volume-iphone-5-ramp-itv/?mod=yahoobarrons

some interesting points regarding TV manufacturers predicting dropping sales, but TV component suppliers (some of whom are subsidiaries of TV manufacturers) forecasting growth due to orders from “new entrants”.

Also encouraging is the note about TWC looking to open up its API, possibly allowing apple to integrate Time Warner Cable input into their HDTV.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 28 April 2012 07:47 PM #71

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/27/us-apple-epix-idUSBRE83Q18720120427

And some more circumstantial evidence….

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 05 May 2012 03:02 PM #72

Some additional info related to the http://www.semiconportal.com/en/archive/news/main-news/120329-sharp-foxconn-alliance-main.html Foxconn investment in Sharp

Under the agreement, in October Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision) will start procuring large panels manufactured on the Sakai fab’s 10th generation LCD line, and eventually the procurement ratio will rise to 50% of the fab’s output.

[The Sakai fab, though proud to have the world’s sole 10th generation line?meaning it uses 3130 x 2880 mm glass substrates, cutting them into eight 60-inch or six 70-inch panels, a big advantage compared to three 60-inch panes cut from an 8th generation substrate?has been struggling with a low capacity utilization rate at the fab, which is capable of consuming 72k substrates a month. /quote]

A little public math based on a typical Apple rollout October pre production, November (Black Friday) launch.  Assuming a 60” 72,000 x 8 = 576K per month or maybe 1.5M assuming some yield loss x 2000 per unit, .  A nice 3B in new revenue.

[ Edited: 05 May 2012 03:14 PM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 11 May 2012 01:54 PM #74

roni - 11 May 2012 01:36 PM

Chairman of Foxconn Terry Gou Confirms Apple?s Rumored iTV During His Inaugural Speech At New Headquarter In Shanghai

Terry Gou isn’t an idiot. Far from it. This “leak”, its source, and its timing make it an awful lot more likely that iTV is going to be discussed by Apple at WWDC this year. Get ready for fireworks.

• Posted: 11 May 2012 02:20 PM #75

I just purchased a new TV recently.  I would have waited for an Apple TV.