The Apple iTV…

Posted: 11 May 2012 02:30 PM #76

alice - 11 May 2012 05:20 PM

I just purchased a new TV recently.  I would have waited for an Apple TV.

I just picked up an option to sell my 42 in 3d tv to my brother. Offer expires in November. smile

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

• Posted: 11 May 2012 02:45 PM #77

stkstalker - 11 May 2012 05:30 PM

I just picked up an option to sell my 42 in 3d tv to my brother. Offer expires in November. smile

If there is an Apple TV announcement, I will sell my barely used TV soon and buy a used cheap TV while I wait.

Posted: 11 May 2012 03:37 PM #78

roni - 11 May 2012 01:36 PM

Chairman of Foxconn Terry Gou Confirms Apple?s Rumored iTV During His Inaugural Speech At New Headquarter In Shanghai

Here’s the source: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2012-05/11/content_15267666.htm

Gou said Foxconn is making preparations for iTV, Apple Inc’s rumored upcoming high-definition television, although development or manufacturing has yet to begin.

Of course Foxconn is “making preparations” to build better HDTVs. That’s part of their business. All that Gou has confirmed is that:
    1. there are rumors of an Apple television set (duh!)
    2. the rumored tv set is not yet in development at Foxconn (if it was, he wouldn’t be talking about it)

There’s no news here. As usual, a generic statement by a CEO has been twisted into a click-bait headline that is immediately picked up by hundreds of blogs and news outlets.

• Posted: 11 May 2012 03:48 PM #79

What’s your Vega on the option?

• Posted: 11 May 2012 04:25 PM #80

Drew Bear - 11 May 2012 06:37 PM
    roni - 11 May 2012 01:36 PM

Chairman of Foxconn Terry Gou Confirms Apple?s Rumored iTV During His Inaugural Speech At New Headquarter In Shanghai

Here’s the source: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2012-05/11/content_15267666.htm

Gou said Foxconn is making preparations for iTV, Apple Inc’s rumored upcoming high-definition television, although development or manufacturing has yet to begin.

Of course Foxconn is “making preparations” to build better HDTVs. That’s part of their business. All that Gou has confirmed is that:
    2. the rumored tv set is not yet in development at Foxconn (if it was, he wouldn’t be talking about it)

There’s no news here. As usual, a generic statement by a CEO has been twisted into a click-bait headline that is immediately picked up by hundreds of blogs and news outlets.

Drew,

I don’t think you even believe what you wrote about this being non-news. It is HUGE news no matter how it is phrased. This is a leak from Apple. It isn’t being produced yet? No biggie. But they are preparing for an iTV. That is huge, immense, gargantuan, vast, enourmous news.

• Posted: 11 May 2012 04:51 PM #81

I got the sense right away that it was a non-story. That said I’m putting my Panasonics on Craigslist and I’m buying January 60” LEAPS.

Posted: 11 May 2012 05:30 PM #82

Grover - 11 May 2012 06:48 PM

What’s your Vega on the option?

Totally Greek to me smile

Signature

• Posted: 11 May 2012 05:56 PM #83

Here is my thought, but I may have read it somewhere:

TV comes with DVR / menu’s all the features our cable box has but done in Apple way. We sign 2 year contract with Local cable Co for a decent price, and they bundle internet and what not, and they subsidize APPLE ITV or panel or whatever they call it. We then not only line up for iphones and ipads, but also at the local cableCo for our new TV.

Posted: 11 May 2012 08:08 PM #84

adamthompson32 - 11 May 2012 07:25 PM

Drew,

I don’t think you even believe what you wrote about this being non-news. It is HUGE news no matter how it is phrased. This is a leak from Apple. It isn’t being produced yet? No biggie. But they are preparing for an iTV. That is huge, immense, gargantuan, vast, enourmous news.

Adam, I do not think this is a leak from Apple. I think Gou said something that was misinterpreted (intentionally?) by a Chinese newspaper. That article was then definitely intentionally twisted into link-bait by the blogosphere.

The China Daily headline was “Foxconn plans renewed shift into distribution”. That was what the bulk of the article talked about. The Apple TV comments were tacked on at the end.

My guess would be that Gou is probably saying that Foxconn would be ready in the event Apple ever asked them to build a TV set. If Gou was privy to any part of Apple’s pre-development plans (very doubtful), he would certainly not be allowed to talk about it. That’s a good way to guarantee that Foxconn would NOT get the contract.

• Posted: 11 May 2012 08:19 PM #85

Drew Bear - 11 May 2012 11:08 PM
    adamthompson32 - 11 May 2012 07:25 PM

Drew,

Adam, I do not think this is a leak from Apple. I think Gou said something that was misinterpreted (intentionally?) by a Chinese newspaper. That article was then definitely intentionally twisted into link-bait by the blogosphere.

The China Daily headline was “Foxconn plans renewed shift into distribution”. That was what the bulk of the article talked about. The Apple TV comments were tacked on at the end.

My guess would be that Gou is probably saying that Foxconn would be ready in the event Apple ever asked them to build a TV set. If Gou was privy to any part of Apple’s pre-development plans (very doubtful), he would certainly not be allowed to talk about it. That’s a good way to guarantee that Foxconn would NOT get the contract.

Doubtful that Gou was/is privy to such plans? I find that doubtful. Quite a few companies Apple is working with on the TV have had prototypes at their offices for at least a year. If they have it (they do), I suspect Gou is pretty well aware of the plans as well.

As for the entirety of the article, your point is well taken and perhaps the article isn’t what I thought. Regardless, the TV is coming….and soon.

Posted: 11 May 2012 11:10 PM #86

Since Hon Hai, parent company of Foxconn, bought a 10% stake in Sharp, I would think Terry Gou IS privy to information the general public isn’t.  If Foxconn is going to use Sharp’s new IGZO glass technology in Apple’s new TV, Terry Gou knows the size, quantity, and general date Apple will be building and releasing this product.  After today, I wouldn’t expect the words “Apple TV” come out of Terry mouth anytime soon.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 12 May 2012 06:36 PM #87

mstefa - 11 May 2012 08:56 PM

TV comes with DVR / menu’s all the features our cable box has but done in Apple way. We sign 2 year contract with Local cable Co for a decent price, and they bundle internet and what not, and they subsidize APPLE ITV or panel or whatever they call it. We then not only line up for iphones and ipads, but also at the local cableCo for our new TV.

Apple cannot disrupt the TV market while replicating its existing DVR functionality. DVR is a patch-up to perpetuate obsolete Broadcast TV with channels, entirely irrelevant when content can be directly selected, “ownership” is recorded in the cloud and local storage and backup are invisible implementation details.

• Posted: 12 May 2012 07:08 PM #88

sleepygeek - 12 May 2012 09:36 PM
    mstefa - 11 May 2012 08:56 PM

Apple cannot disrupt the TV market while replicating its existing DVR functionality. DVR is a patch-up to perpetuate obsolete Broadcast TV with channels, entirely irrelevant when content can be directly selected, “ownership” is recorded in the cloud and local storage and backup are invisible implementation details.

As I said ” done in aaple way” yet acceptable to cableCo’s and of course us..

Posted: 12 May 2012 07:21 PM #89

Copied from the Weekend Updates thread

macorange - 12 May 2012 09:38 PM

If this is the new Apple TV, the rally monkey is going to be busy soon:

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2011/02/03/loewe-invisio-a-stunning-transparent-flat-screen-tv/

Signature

Posted: 13 May 2012 04:20 AM #90

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html

pocketchange….

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics