The Apple iTV…

Posted: 13 May 2012 12:02 PM #91

Burgess - 13 May 2012 07:20 AM

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html ....

German TV maker Loewe denies Apple acquisition rumour, says report has ?absolutely nothing to it?

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/05/13/german-tv-maker-loewe-denies-apple-acquisition-rumour-says-report-has-absolutely-nothing-to-it/

• Posted: 13 May 2012 08:24 PM #92

Pure anecdotal thought.

About a week ago I began watching a TV series (via Netflix) on my iPad.  Prior to this I had not watched movies on my iPad (or iPhone).  Here’s the deal though, I now prefer watching movies/TV shows on my iPad over the big screen.  I could use a lot is platitudes like,” it feels more personal”, but the truth is I can’t really explain the reason why, other than to say it feels right.

I think Apple already has the hardware for an outstanding TV experience. They don’t need to acquire a TV manufacturer, no matter it’s reputation for quality, to get into the TV manufacturing business.

I’d like one change to the iPad, though, that would make it a better TV. Put the speaker(s) on the front.

[ Edited: 13 May 2012 08:32 PM by Gregg Thurman ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 13 May 2012 08:54 PM #93

Gregg Thurman - 13 May 2012 11:24 PM

I’d like one change to the iPad, though, that would make it a better TV. Put the speaker(s) on the front.

+1

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:12 AM #94

German TV maker Loewe denies Apple acquisition rumour, says report has ?absolutely nothing to it?

Dueling headlines.

Loewe Declines to Comment on Report Apple to Buy Company

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:15 AM #95

Sources please, Drew?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 May 2012 12:23 AM #96

Weird, I tried posting the bloomberg url, but the forum said:
    Action Denied: Blacklisted Item Found

Are we not allowed to post news from Bloomberg here?

Remove the [remove] part below:
    Loewe Declines to Comment on Report Apple to Buy Company
    http://www.bloom[remove]berg.com/news/2012-05-13/loewe-declines-to-comment-on-report-apple-to-buy-company.html

• Posted: 14 May 2012 12:31 AM #97

Maybe we will know something by May 18th.

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:47 AM #98

Loewe AG (LOE) declined to comment on a report that Apple Inc. (AAPL) will purchase the German TV maker for 87.3 million euros ($112.8 million).

Loewe ?does not want to take part in these rumors,? said company spokesman Roland Raithel in an e-mailed statement. Earlier today, Deutsche Presse-Agentur cited an unidentified Loewe spokesman saying that ?there is no truth? to the story, which was posted on the AppleInsider website yesterday.

anything short of a straight denial give me a strong feeling that it’s very likely the 2 companies are at least talking.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:54 AM #99

German Pre-market trading opens in about 90 minutes, so i guess we will see then what the inside money thinks regarding the rumour.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 14 May 2012 01:04 AM #100

Gets more interesting by the minute.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 May 2012 05:26 AM #101

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCABRE84D08H20120514

Loewes shares jump - money buying the rumor at the moment…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 14 May 2012 08:36 AM #102

So Loewe is up 25% today….

Thoughts?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 14 May 2012 10:26 AM #103

Burgess - 14 May 2012 11:36 AM

So Loewe is up 25% today….

Thoughts?

A lot of people are GAMBLING that the rumors are correct.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:30 AM #104

The latest “confirmation” that Apple is building a TV set turns out to be another souffl?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/14/anatomy-of-an-itv-rumor/

After 15 paragraphs about Gou’s remarks at the groundbreaking for Hon Hai’s new Shanghai headquarters and his company’s plans to expand distribution in mainland China, the China Daily story tosses in—almost as an afterthought—this sentence:

“Gou?said?Foxconn?is?making?preparations?for?iTV,?Apple?Inc’s?rumored?upcoming?high-definition?television,?although?development?or?manufacturing?has?yet?to?begin.”

Talk about burying the lead!

If Gou really said this, it would be—for all the reasons stated above—very big news.

So how is it that none of the other reporters covering the event heard it? Not Reuters’?John Ruwitch. Not Bloomberg’s Tim Culpin. Not the AP’s?Elaine Kurtenbach.

It is possible that the China Daily reporter misheard or misunderstood Gou’s remarks? Or that his report was mistranslated? Or that a desk editor or rewrite person mangled it?

We’ve asked Gao Changxin to review his notes and tell us exactly what Gou said. He has yet to respond to our several requests.

• Posted: 14 May 2012 05:38 PM #105

Hargreaves at Pacific Crest:

“‘A 46? Apple television would likely generate less than 1/200th the gross profit per cubic foot as an iPhone at retail, and less than 1/50th the gross profit per cubic foot of an iPad,’ Hargreaves wrote, noting the limited inventory space both at Apple stores and the company?s retail partners.

For utter stupidity this ranks right up there with Dvorak and his iMac earthquake warning.