Ipad 3 production

Posted: 14 February 2012 10:32 AM

So the iPad 3 rumors have reached a feverish pitch with the Wall Street Journal confirming ] LTE radios and The Next Web pinning the date as Mar 7.  Today we have word of the LCD screen orders for ipad 3 via China Times

According to the Apple supply chain vendors and the South Korean media news, Apple commissioned by Samsung and LGD iPad3 retina panel (Retina Display) has been the mass production stage, this year’s panel purchases of at least 65 million, on behalf of Apple iPad3 shipments this year of at least 6,500 million to 7,000 million units of the scale of shipments compared to last year’s iPad product of 4,049 million units, a substantial increase of 60-70%.

This rumor of course is in conflict with the Sharp and the IGZO panel
    Cnet  recently discussed this issue with a display search analyst

Question: So, what is the status for the iPad 3 and Sharp’s IGZO display technology?
    Annis: Sharp is already mass producing them [IGZO displays], there’s no question about that. But you never know what Apple is going to do. And, for that matter, there’s no reason LGD [LG Display] would be accepted either. Only Apple knows.
    There’s not a single commercial IGZO FPD [flat-panel display] available right now. And if Apple does start accepting them for the iPad 3 and starts selling then in April, that would be a world’s first and we do think that’s likely to happen.

And we had Sharp’s president at a recent news conference via Patently Apple

Now, weeks before the iPad 3 is due, comes some rather interesting news out of Japan worth noting. A recent news conference covering Sharp’s President on their recent Financial Results coughed up an interesting factoid that could once again stir things up a bit. On February 1, 2012, Q&A with Sharp’s President Mikio Katayama revealed the following:

Q: “It was announced today that planned volume production of IGZO panels at the Kameyama Second Plant was delayed by two months. What is the cause of the delay?”

A: Katayama: “It is not that there is a problem in the production of IGZO panels. The delay occurred in the process of embedding panels in final products. But we will start to ship IGZO panels in volume within February 2012.

Posted: 14 February 2012 10:43 AM #1

Mr. Katayama’s “nuance” is no nuance. 

iPad 3 convoys are moving out of the harbor.

Posted: 15 February 2012 06:48 PM #2

Will 802.11ac make the cut for iPad 3?  Apple’s WIFI chipset supplier Broadcomm recently announced new chipset supporting 80211ac or 5th Generation WIFI . If we include this standard in both the iPad and Apple TV we have the bandwidth for moving Airplay to the next level.

Posted: 15 February 2012 07:06 PM #3

Nothing wrong with 802.11n, but with Apple and BT 4.0 I’d be all for them
    pushing the latest/greatest wireless tech.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 February 2012 08:35 PM #4

I can already see the iPad 3 ad:

Twice the resolution.

Four times the speed.

Same price, from $499

Signature

One trillion or bust

• Posted: 15 February 2012 09:08 PM #5

pats - 15 February 2012 10:48 PM

Will 802.11ac make the cut for iPad 3?  Apple’s WIFI chipset supplier Broadcomm recently announced new chipset supporting 80211ac or 5th Generation WIFI . If we include this standard in both the iPad and Apple TV we have the bandwidth for moving Airplay to the next level.

Sounds great Pats, but I always looks to you for guidance on these topics. If would be nice to have something like that for product differentiation and some great ads, but do you think it’s feasible or likely that Broadcomm’s chips are ready and production reliable in the numbers required for iPad 3? Would this be some sort of special deal where Apple helps fund the development for an initial period of exclusive access? My first impression is that we won’t see this in iPad 3, but we will see it in time for the iTV where it will be a key piece of the magic.

• Posted: 15 February 2012 09:12 PM #6

If the rumor of 65 million iPad 3 units this year is true, it looks like we’ll hit 80 million or so for the year which is exactly what I was hoping/expecting.

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:25 AM #7

Realistically the 802.11ac will not make the timeline for 2012, but I think the Sharp oxide TFT will power the next iPad LCD.  I expect the same technology to be used in the iPhone and Apple TV.  The new screens are cheaper to make then LTPS assuming yields are decent.  On the sub component side, I m waiting to hear who won the foundry for the A6, Samsung or TSCM.  I expect Apple to add a second noise cancelation mike to support SIRI.  As far as the A6, did they use a four core ARM A9 or Dual Core A15 or a custom design based on their macroscale architecture patents.  On the RF side we have LTE and 802.111ac along with Bluetooth 4.0 as the big potential upgrades.  Bottom line for me is my iPad is still gen 1 so I look forward to the upgrade but my original iPad still works great.  The screen along with the increased performance will get me to buy again.

• Posted: 16 February 2012 11:38 PM #8

Always appreciate your expertise and perspective Pats. You have a very unique contribution to make to the forum.

An iPad 3 is definitely in my plans as well. They had me at the display, but the performance boost will be great too.

Posted: 17 February 2012 12:26 AM #9

”..iPad3 shipments this year of at least 6,500 million to 7,000 million units..”

Wait!  What?  6,500 million to 7,000 million = the entire human population! 
    Did I miss something?  Am I nuts?

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

Posted: 17 February 2012 12:30 AM #10

adamthompson32 - 16 February 2012 01:12 AM

If the rumor of 65 million iPad 3 units this year is true, it looks like we’ll hit 80 million or so for the year which is exactly what I was hoping/expecting.

Do you think that 65 million number includes units that will be built during this calender year, but not sold until the next calendar year?

For instance, any ipads that have been sold in Jan/Feb 2012 were likely to have been produced in the december 2011 quarter, as presumably the iPad 2 lines had been switched to making ipad 3 units by January.

I’m doubting my confidence in my earlier prediction that a cheaper 8 GB iPad 2 will stick around post ipad 3 release - I thought it would be nessecary to combat the kindle fire etc - but I think the ipad 3’s screen will be so amazing to use that apple wouldn’t want people to keep buying ipad 2 units (and kindle fire doesn’t seem like too much in the way of competition at present). I’m really looking forward to reading books on the iPad 3 screen. I’m sure the differnece in quality compared to any other tablet (including the iPad 2) will be huge.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 17 February 2012 12:30 AM #11

cranium - 17 February 2012 03:38 AM

Always appreciate your expertise and perspective Pats. You have a very unique contribution to make to the forum.

An iPad 3 is definitely in my plans as well. They had me at the display, but the performance boost will be great too.

+1.  Pats is our resident hardware guru.

Posted: 17 February 2012 01:22 AM #12

+1.  pats’ expertise is always appreciated.

Now pats, though the rumors are leaning quad-core A6 for whatever they’re worth, what’s your take on quad-core (A9 derivative?) vs. more advanced, dual-core A15?  Does 4x the pixels, if true, mean anything in this equation given a powerful enough GPU SoC component?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:18 AM #13

Mav - 17 February 2012 05:22 AM

+1.  pats’ expertise is always appreciated.

Now pats, though the rumors are leaning quad-core A6 for whatever they’re worth, what’s your take on quad-core (A9 derivative?) vs. more advanced, dual-core A15?  Does 4x the pixels, if true, mean anything in this equation given a powerful enough GPU SoC component?

Without a good power management solution, wouldn’t a quad core A9 chip be a big battery hog?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:24 AM #14

That’s a very good point.  But at the same time, without a very, very powerful CPU/GPU combo (one cannot completely compensate for the deficiencies of the other, AFAIK), would it be possible to have an iPad 2/iPhone 4S-like experience with a massive 2048x1532 display?  Particularly if - and seems near-inconceivable to even think - developers are allowed, or have the ability to, develop 2048x1532 apps that are even somewhat graphics-intensive?

Tegra 3, on paper at least, is billed as a tablet solution.

iPad 3 can compensate with battery size.  Case teardowns do show “spare space” in the enclosure, though heat dissipation surely plays a role.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:51 AM #15

Mav - 17 February 2012 07:24 AM

That’s a very good point.  But at the same time, without a very, very powerful CPU/GPU combo (one cannot completely compensate for the deficiencies of the other, AFAIK), would it be possible to have an iPad 2/iPhone 4S-like experience with a massive 2048x1532 display?  Particularly if - and seems near-inconceivable to even think - developers are allowed, or have the ability to, develop 2048x1532 apps that are even somewhat graphics-intensive?

Tegra 3, on paper at least, is billed as a tablet solution.

iPad 3 can compensate with battery size.  Case teardowns do show “spare space” in the enclosure, though heat dissipation surely plays a role.

I’m very excited. Even just to read a book on the iPad 3.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple