Ipad 3 production

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:59 AM #16

I don’t care exactly what kind of SoC is in iPad 3.

Nor do I care if the new screen is all the way up to 2048x1532.

I just want an iPad 3.  Possibility of no-contract LTE + my AAPL dividend + awesome mobile speed with a bigger-screen experience + AirPlay = amazing on-the-go and at-home companion + no reason for me NOT to embrace the post-PC era with something other than an iPhone (which is still awesome and all, of course).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 February 2012 07:01 AM #17

Yup, ready for the iPd3. My first gen “seems” slow on certain tasks. It was never really useable with GarageBand, much as I tried. The platform has really matured in two years. For me the crossover point was having the ability to administer Airport base stations. When your interface lets you run and manage all your tools, there’s no going back. Give me iPd3!

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 17 February 2012 07:26 AM #18

I do some work at cell tower sites for an electrical contractor. Concrete pads for new equipment. He carries an iPad2 with PDF drawings of 5 or 10 sites. Quite a time and space saver. Anyway I’ll get the iPad 3 as soon as I can for no other reason than than saying mine’s bigger.

Posted: 17 February 2012 06:45 PM #19

Macrumors got ahold of a ipad 3? display and put it under the microscope

Posted: 17 February 2012 07:37 PM #20

I don’t see a difference!    (sent from my iPad 2)

Posted: 17 February 2012 08:25 PM #21

eric in Austin - 17 February 2012 11:37 PM

Take a crappy photo from a mediocre scope and you get blurry.  If you look closely you can see the additional pixels, but I agree that the photo sucks. rolleyes

Posted: 18 February 2012 01:46 AM #22

hmmm… maybe that is because of the low resolution of the iPad 2 ?  ;)

Posted: 18 February 2012 02:35 AM #23

pats, mind if we talk chips?  Is there still a chance for non-quad core at this point?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 February 2012 10:18 AM #24

Mav - 18 February 2012 06:35 AM

pats, mind if we talk chips?  Is there still a chance for non-quad core at this point?

As far as dual vs quad core, I think it depends on which version of the ARM architecture the design originates from.  This year will be the first year we see designs based on the ARM A15 which is the follow on to the ARM A9.  It is a much larger design but two A15s should be faster then four A9s, a third option would be a custom design for the CPU.  Apple is rumored to have an architecture liscence from ARM so they could build a custom core and use the ARM instruction set.  Recent patents for a macroscale processor leave that option.  As far as the other functional blocks.  The GPU, video encoder, and Video decoder most likely stick with Imagination Power VR series.  For the GPU we will either get a 4 core 543MP or the new Rogue series.  The retina display means the GPU must push around alot more pixels so I’m hoping the Rogue, but the 543MP4 should get the job done without loss of frame rates.

Posted: 18 February 2012 03:34 PM #25

I’m all for latest and greatest, but as far as GPU the PowerVR can scale to something like 20 cores, right?

More than enough power in that current series for Apple to choose from.

Since Apple supposedly uses the same general SoC for iPad and iPhone it’ll be interesting to see which path Apple takes.  If A15 saves more power I’d prefer Apple go with that.  Save quad core for 2013 - as long as performance is about 2x better on the CPU side it should be fine.  Graphics will have no problem keeping up given the many options on the table.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 February 2012 06:35 PM #26

Mav - 18 February 2012 07:34 PM

I’m all for latest and greatest, but as far as GPU the PowerVR can scale to something like 20 cores, right?

More than enough power in that current series for Apple to choose from.

Since Apple supposedly uses the same general SoC for iPad and iPhone it’ll be interesting to see which path Apple takes.  If A15 saves more power I’d prefer Apple go with that.  Save quad core for 2013 - as long as performance is about 2x better on the CPU side it should be fine.  Graphics will have no problem keeping up given the many options on the table.

In the mid term I don’t see power consumption being a problem, so much as I see heat dissipation.

Apple’s license for liquid metal is ideal for small, very efficient fuel cells. With fuel cells we are now talking days of actual use vs hours.

Apple’s liquid metal license is a exclusive.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:44 PM #27

Fuel cells have bizarre recharging routines.

Maybe in a few years, certainly not this one.  AC current is still the way to go.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 February 2012 07:26 PM #28

Mav - 19 February 2012 10:44 PM

Fuel cells have bizarre recharging routines.

Maybe in a few years, certainly not this one.  AC current is still the way to go.

You mean like methanol making you go blind if you spill it on your skin? What could go wrong?

I got your joke Eric, even if nobody else did.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 19 February 2012 07:32 PM #29

A5X?  Not A6?

Even if this rumor is true, hell, I don’t care what it’s called.  It WILL be up to 2x faster CPU-wise or better than the A5 (it has to be, on account of the Retina Display and the competition), and the graphics will continue to bring the pain. 

And after tech pundits raise an “S”-type “evolution, not revolution” hissy fit over the specs, untold millions will be preordering in the first 60 seconds.  OK, the first day, but still.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 20 February 2012 11:50 PM #30

iPad 3, thicker than iPad 2?  How is this possible?!  (/sarcasm)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.