Ipad 3 production

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:27 PM #31

Mav - 19 February 2012 11:32 PM

A5X?  Not A6?

Even if this rumor is true, hell, I don’t care what it’s called.  It WILL be up to 2x faster CPU-wise or better than the A5 (it has to be, on account of the Retina Display and the competition), and the graphics will continue to bring the pain. 

And after tech pundits raise an “S”-type “evolution, not revolution” hissy fit over the specs, untold millions will be preordering in the first 60 seconds.  OK, the first day, but still.

This is classic FUD.  How much can you read in a name?  If we look at what the other players are bringing to market, we have a pretty good clue on performance.  Anadtech just reviewed the new SOC from Qualcomm The MSM 8960 .  This provides a first look at a SOC built on the TSCM 28NM process we also have marketing info on the Samsung Exynos 5250 which is an ARM Cortex A15 processor built on Samsungs 32NM process.

This upcoming Samsung chip is called the Exynos 5250 and it will be the first chip to take advantage of the new ARM Cortex A15 processor. This 32nm chip will be twice as fast as current 1.5GHz dual core Cortex A9 chips. The graphics performance will also be boosted to support WQXGA resolutions and 3D. The graphics performance is said to be four times of what is in current chips.

For those keeping score performance is scaling based on both process shrink and the new architecture of the A15.  TI also has a new A15 processor in the works so Apple if they do any type of competitive intelligence will have realized that.  Apple is slowly customizing functional blocks of their SOC and I would expect more of this with the current generation.  As far as dual vs quad core, with the addition of Open CL on future versions of iOS many functions can be accomplished using GPU compute.

On a slightly different thread , I see Microsoft is backing off on the Office on iPad rumor.  Talk about a keynote destroying leak.  I’m already marking my bingo card for Office on iPad 3

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:34 PM #32

Apple will have another up to 2x CPU speed increase and probably 4x or better GPU performance just because of the 4x pixels the iPad 3 will probably have to cope with.  Or iPad 3 will not have an optimal experience.  So I think we all know how this story ends (unless Apple somehow decides it doesn’t want a higher-res screen after all).

So naming FUD aside, my enthusiasm for iPad 3 has not diminished in the slightest.  Apple doesn’t get to being as competitive as it is without razor-sharp competitive intelligence.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the iPad 3 SoC smacks around the competition in graphics performance the same way that iPad 2 did.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:49 PM #33

Mav - 22 February 2012 12:34 AM

Apple will have another up to 2x CPU speed increase and probably 4x or better GPU performance just because of the 4x pixels the iPad 3 will probably have to cope with.  Or iPad 3 will not have an optimal experience.  So I think we all know how this story ends (unless Apple somehow decides it doesn’t want a higher-res screen after all).

So naming FUD aside, my enthusiasm for iPad 3 has not diminished in the slightest.  Apple doesn’t get to being as competitive as it is without razor-sharp competitive intelligence.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the iPad 3 SoC smacks around the competition in graphics performance the same way that iPad 2 did.

Complete agreement.  One area where I expect Apple to show their stuff is in power consumption.  Rather then ratchet up the clock and kill the battery, Apple will provide great peak performance and best in class battery life, and for most of us that is the perfect combination, wether that requires 2X CPU or 4X CPU and 2X GPU or 4X GPU.  The marketing folks want to focus on numbers like cores and frequency because they think folks won’t take the time for a side by side comparison.  If the new display makes it into the next iPad, you can pretty much guarantee that a consumer doing a side by side comparison will immediately recognize the advantage of the new display and performance and battery life will still be best in class.

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:53 PM #34

The only “problem” is getting devs into the 3MP tablet revolution.

I mean, some of them may be working from 1MP MacBooks!

Interesting problem for Apple to deal with.  How to simulate super-high-res, quad-core apps on an older, slower, lower-res laptop?  You can’t!  So dev test iPad 3s, maybe leased, will have to serve as a stopgap.

[ Edited: 21 February 2012 09:13 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:29 PM #35

Mav - 22 February 2012 12:53 AM

The only “problem” is getting devs into the 3MP tablet revolution.

I mean, some of them may be working from 1MP MacBooks!

Interesting problem for Apple to deal with.  How to simulate super-high-res, quad-core apps on an older, slower, lower-res laptop?  You can’t!  So dev test iPad 3s, maybe leased, will have to serve as a stopgap.

Mav

Guess we have a few iPad 3 customers grin .  As far as older and slower, I think you are dreaming still.  The current laptop CPU still runs circles around the mobile SOC, but then they run at 17 watts vs about 2 watts.  We are rapidly approaching the point where mobile SOCs have enough compute power for every kind of use, so what will Apple dream up for all those extra cycles.  SIRI is an obvious candidate.  The knowledge navigator 20 yrs later.

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:34 PM #36

pats, I don’t think I’m dreaming here.  A powerful graphics-intensive iPad 3-optimized app will need a more recent Mac laptop for best results, I’m pretty sure.  And how to address the 3MP challenge when only one Mac and one Apple monitor have more than 3MP?

iOS simulator for a 2048x1532 app on even a 1440x900 screen…?

Amusingly, NO active Apple screen or monitor is 1536 pixels wide. LOL  The 2560x1600 30” Cinema Display was discontinued in 2010.  So iPad 3 direct testing is a complete necessity.

[ Edited: 21 February 2012 10:37 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 February 2012 12:36 PM #37

As we look at the teardowns of the next generation of iPad, The NAND memory is a key component of the BOM.  Why is this important.  Apple could significantly cut the cost of the iPad NAND memory through the use of TLC NAND

As covered in the Anandtech article the cost of TLC NAND is .60c per GB vs .90c per GB for MLC.  Apple recently purchased Anobit which back in August released their new memory controller The MSP2025

The new MSP2025 controller, also aimed at smartphones and tablets, supports up to 256GB of 2-bit MLC or 3-bit TLC flash, provides 666MB/sec bandwidth, and supports 2X and 1X NAND ? meaning 29-20nm and 19-10nm process geometries.

Apple has historically used memory capacity to differentiate between price points.  The jump from 64GB to 128GB would cost Apple $39 using TLC vs $58 for MLC or a GM of 71% vs 42%.

• Posted: 25 February 2012 11:26 AM #38

A survey by TechBargains has cleared iPad 3 for takeoff.  A few results:

More than half of Kindle owners will buy an iPad 3. 

Significantly, iPad 1 and 2 owners are likely to upgrade (66% and 56%, respectively).

The respondents are a bit clueless with predicting iPad 3 features, but what the hell, we just want them to buy, buy, buy.

http://www.techbargains.com/survey/results/ipad3/

Posted: 25 February 2012 11:39 AM #39

Mercel - 25 February 2012 03:26 PM

Significantly, iPad 1 and 2 owners are likely to upgrade (66% and 56%, respectively).

The respondents are a bit clueless with predicting iPad 3 features, but what the hell, we just want them to buy, buy, buy.

My original iPad went to my wife when I bought the 2.  She loved it but now wants her own 3 to go with my new 3.  The original iPad and my ipad2 go to the grandkids…..

Rinse, repeat across the country….and world

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 25 February 2012 06:22 PM #40

Red Shirted Ensign - 25 February 2012 03:39 PM
    Mercel - 25 February 2012 03:26 PM

My original iPad went to my wife when I bought the 2.  She loved it but now wants her own 3 to go with my new 3.  The original iPad and my ipad2 go to the grandkids…..

Rinse, repeat across the country….and world

I’m trying to decide, who gets my iPad1 when I replace it which brings up the excellent discussion of replacement cycle.  the iPhone has the shortest cycle at maybe 18 mths based on the carrier subsidy model, so what will the refresh be for iPad?  I currently modeling a 3 yr refresh, but my gut says Apple can shave a few months with the right feature, and that is not to discount the new users.  The biggest initiative IMO was the textbook.  Amazon is trying to shoehorn their way into the educational market via their success in the ebook text segment and Apple has responded both with software and hopefully hardware.  I find my eyes tire when reading for hours on the iPad, so maybe Apple has an answer, because if I remember anything from my college days, I had way too much material to read so anything which improved the process beyond the current, would be a no brainer, and this IMO is a key target for iPad 3.  I was recently talking with my brother in law who is a professor at Purdue and on a committee doing future tech integration for the college, they are looking at the iPad and he said the apps they can build are amazing.  Apple is in the driver seat and I believe TC when he says the market is larger then the PC market.

[ Edited: 25 February 2012 06:25 PM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 26 February 2012 12:24 AM #41

iPad 3 in production?  How about iPad 3 en route? 

Breaking story that iPad 3s are headed to USA.  http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/25/apple-media-event-whispers-ipad-3-shipments-already-en-route-to-u-s-possible-pre-orders-two-new-products/

Posted: 26 February 2012 02:07 AM #42

This wouldn’t surprise me _too_ much.  You gotta have iPad 3s in stock at stores within, say, 3 weeks or so?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 February 2012 02:12 AM #43

Mav - 26 February 2012 06:07 AM

This wouldn’t surprise me _too_ much.  You gotta have iPad 3s in stock at stores within, say, 3 weeks or so?

One of my hopes for Tim Cook’s reign was

You know

this kind of stuff

build a whole lot of units faster

• Posted: 26 February 2012 02:16 AM #44

Mav - 26 February 2012 06:07 AM

Unless the planes are of the propeller type, the inventory should be in stores on March 7.  :wink:

It’s a rumor, with intriguing details to suggest it’s for real.

Edit:  March 9 (as per the article).  Apple won’t trust iPad 3 in stock in Apple stores on the day of the announcement.

[ Edited: 26 February 2012 02:46 AM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 26 February 2012 02:17 AM #45

There are a _couple_ of downsides requiring continuing attention moving forward.

Dust motes between the iPhone 4S screen and that temp protector they put on.  A discoloration on the steel band that needed a little cleaner and a lot of work with a microfiber cloth from the Apple Genius to remove.  Small, but never noticed before.

But Tim Cook is the King of Ops, Living God of SCM.  He can make the trains run on time and bend supply chains to his will.  And that’s just the operations side.  He’s one heck of a CEO.

If iPad 3 was available soon after announcement, a sell the news event may not happen.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.