Ipad 3 production

Posted: 02 March 2012 10:55 AM #61

cranium - 02 March 2012 04:31 AM

Interesting idea!

The one thing I really don?t think we?ll see is the 8GB iPad. Given this is a great platform for video and photos I just think it leads to too many people running out of space too quickly and being very dissatisfied with their purchase. 8GB is just not something Apple will put out there (iCloud or not).

How much would Apple save going from 16GB to 8GB?

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:04 AM #62

ChasMac77 - 02 March 2012 02:55 PM
    cranium - 02 March 2012 04:31 AM

Interesting idea!

The one thing I really don?t think we?ll see is the 8GB iPad. Given this is a great platform for video and photos I just think it leads to too many people running out of space too quickly and being very dissatisfied with their purchase. 8GB is just not something Apple will put out there (iCloud or not).

How much would Apple save going from 16GB to 8GB?

The price for MLC flash(two bit per cell) is about .90c per GB.  If they switch to TLC(3 bit per cell) it is about .60c per GB.  That is where the Anobit technology becomes critical.  Anobits flash controller allows higher reliability and longer read/write cycles with lower cost TLC.  They claimed they could make TLC as reliable as MLC and MLC as SLC.  Apple has been using MLC NAND so we are talking about saving 7-8 dollars.

http://www.micronblogs.com/2010/08/the-scoop-on-25nm-tlc-nand/

[ Edited: 02 March 2012 11:08 AM by pats ]      

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:55 AM #63

I’d feel a little cheated if Apple used TLC flash just to save $5/16GB or something.  Apple users have long wanted better, not equivalent for less.  That’s like saying if you can live with the cheap feel, plastic is almost as good a laptop/tablet enclosure as aluminum/composite.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 02 March 2012 12:32 PM #64

Mav - 02 March 2012 03:55 PM

I’d feel a little cheated if Apple used TLC flash just to save $5/16GB or something.  Apple users have long wanted better, not equivalent for less.  That’s like saying if you can live with the cheap feel, plastic is almost as good a laptop/tablet enclosure as aluminum/composite.

I think that the ability to use less expensive memory without downgraded performance or user experience would show what a good investment Anobit is.

A lot of Apple devices contain more than 16 gigs.  If I am reading this right, it would be a pretty substantial savings per unit - and given that Apple is selling gazillions of units, I like this, if I understand it correctly.