Is MSFT fatally wounded by underestimating iOS?

Posted: 18 February 2012 06:16 PM

http://minimalmac.com/post/17758177061/microsofts-biggest-miss

For so many years everyone was convinced that to be productive you needed to buy MS Office. However its been over 4 1/2 years since the release of the iPhone and where has Office been on iOS?

<crickets>

I agree with MinimalMac, that people are starting to learn that you don’t need Office to be productive. IMO: in the end, this is what will (eventually) kill MSFT.

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

Posted: 18 February 2012 10:01 PM #1

No offense to Microsoft.  They’ll stick around for a long time.  But as far as the current hottest battlefields of smartphones and tablets go, they’re just not all that relevant these days.

The Apple-Microsoft war is effectively over.  The two companies are pursuing very different goals.  Microsoft will have to get through Android before it begins to seriously compete with Apple.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 18 February 2012 10:27 PM #2

Mav - 19 February 2012 02:01 AM

No offense to Microsoft.  They’ll stick around for a long time.  But as far as the current hottest battlefields of smartphones and tablets go, they’re just not all that relevant these days.

The Apple-Microsoft war is effectively over.  The two companies are pursuing very different goals.  Microsoft will have to get through Android before it begins to seriously compete with Apple.

MSFT lost when they didn’t recognize the importance of interface in portable digital music, and left the creation of an ecosystem to Realnetworks and two dozen other half-assed efforts.

They didn’t become walking dead until Ballmer dismissed the iPhone as the most expensive smartphone on the planet.

The markets started shoveling dirt on MSFT’s grave when HTC (the largest licensee of WnMobile [80%]) abandoned it for Android.

When Apple introduced the iPad the monument maker delivered MSFT’s head stone.

The only thing left to do now, is read Psalms over MSFT’s grave.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 18 February 2012 10:44 PM #3

Gregg Thurman - 19 February 2012 02:27 AM

Of course reading the bible from iBooks. grin

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

Posted: 18 February 2012 11:35 PM #4

MSFT is weaker and will continue to decline, assuming their product mixes and roadmaps continue.    A new type of product can change things.  If MSFT wants to find a new roadmap, they have to go looking for one.

Posted: 19 February 2012 12:02 AM #5

Windows 8 will try and integrate the desktop/ mobile devices like Lion/Mountain Lion and together with Nokia will eventually create a garden that Android cannot.  Android is under attack from patent intrusion and the Oracle Java lawsuit if it bears fruit.  Handset makers will branch out away from Android in the meantime with Windows 8 on certain models to protect their own asses. The ABA (anything but Apple) Windows world will have a place to go. So i don’t think Microsoft is going away anytime soon.

Posted: 19 February 2012 12:33 AM #6

mstrmac - 19 February 2012 04:02 AM

Windows 8 will try and integrate the desktop/ mobile devices like Lion/Mountain Lion and together with Nokia will eventually create a garden that Android cannot.  Android is under attack from patent intrusion and the Oracle Java lawsuit if it bears fruit.  Handset makers will branch out away from Android in the meantime with Windows 8 on certain models to protect their own asses. The ABA (anything but Apple) Windows world will have a place to go. So i don’t think Microsoft is going away anytime soon.

I agree.

Posted: 19 February 2012 12:47 AM #7

And at the Enterprise level, products such as SQL Server, Exchange, AD, Sharepoint Server, Visual Studio etc. aren’t going away any time soon either.

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

• Posted: 19 February 2012 04:16 AM #8

rudyo - 19 February 2012 04:47 AM

And at the Enterprise level, products such as SQL Server, Exchange, AD, Sharepoint Server, Visual Studio etc. aren’t going away any time soon either.

If MSFT retains 25% of the consumer and 50% of the enterprise markets, and 80% of the server (Linux anyone?).  That would leave Msft with somewhere around 35% share of the computer OS market.  Then supposing that MSFT displaces Android and nabs 35% OS share of the mobile market, it will be but a shadow it’s former self, not worthy of a DOW component listing.

I can easily. These share estimates coming to pass.  Falling that far is the same thing as being mortally wounded in my book.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 19 February 2012 09:02 AM #9

I think there is a point missing here.  Any real productive work in creating documents requires a keyboard.  There is no way around it.  Writing even a two page document with a tablet is no fun.

Enter Office, especially Word.  I have tried to use Pages, with no luck.  As much as I think Word is so overblown and clumsy, a still use it.  My favorite feature is theFormat Painter for my schoolwork.  I also value Bullets and Numbering, and the various versions of Paste.

I would like to see Microsoft come out with a lean and human-engineered version of Office, or Apple really go after a full version of Pages.

Just a question.  How many of you use Pages or Numbers?

Thanks,
    Dr. L

Posted: 19 February 2012 09:45 AM #10

I use Scrivener. Excellent program.

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

• Posted: 19 February 2012 10:44 AM #11

hledgard - 19 February 2012 01:02 PM

I think there is a point missing here.  Any real productive work in creating documents requires a keyboard.  There is no way around it.  Writing even a two page document with a tablet is no fun.

Enter Office, especially Word.  I have tried to use Pages, with no luck.  As much as I think Word is so overblown and clumsy, a still use it.  My favorite feature is theFormat Painter for my schoolwork.  I also value Bullets and Numbering, and the various versions of Paste.

I would like to see Microsoft come out with a lean and human-engineered version of Office, or Apple really go after a full version of Pages.

Thanks,
    Dr. L

I have them both, and use them once in a while. However, the entire business world exchanges Office docs, so going without Office is a non starter. Pages and Numbers can rarely open an Office file without some kind of an issue, so I end up hardly ever using them. Also, Apple does not seem really serious about these products. When was the last time they had a meaningful upgrade?  I also agree that any serious spreadsheet or word processing work is still pretty clumsy and inefficient on a tablet.  Maybe someday that changes, but not yet. 

Microsoft is no where near dead yet, just like Apple wasn’t, when it was fashionable for link baiters to pronounce them doomed every chance they got.

Posted: 19 February 2012 10:55 AM #12

I thought Psalm was gone after the merger with HP?

• Posted: 19 February 2012 03:48 PM #13

hledgard - 19 February 2012 01:02 PM

Thanks,
    Dr. L

Tried them. Yech

At the same time I don’t believe it would take much to make them much more robust. I’ve long thought that Apple hasn’t done so, because it was encircling the enemy, and not making a frontal attack.

Signature

• Posted: 19 February 2012 04:26 PM #14

I use Pages and Numbers all the time. Love them. Then again, I’m not a professional spreadsheet jockey.

They will never be Word or Excel, but they are fine when considered on their own merits.

• Posted: 19 February 2012 04:36 PM #15

mightydog - 19 February 2012 02:55 PM

I thought Psalm was gone after the merger with HP?

Good one. 

MSFT is way too optimistic with Win 8.  The real glue of MSFT is with enterprise running legacy apps.  The software developers will respond VERY SLOWLY and ultimately fail to re-engineer the code to accommodate what MSFT wants to integrate (touch and keyboard). 

On the other hand, MSFT has a better mobile platform than Android.  However, they’re still at the starting gate, waiting for traction that probably won’t come unless Android fails. 

And I think Oracle is going to prevail against Google’s Java infringement.