Is MSFT fatally wounded by underestimating iOS?

• Posted: 19 February 2012 04:38 PM #16

dduck - 19 February 2012 08:26 PM

I use Pages and Numbers all the time. Love them. Then again, I’m not a professional spreadsheet jockey.

They will never be Word or Excel, but they are fine when considered on their own merits.

I find it much easier to migrate from Word to Pages than from Excel to Numbers.  I don’t use the latter, mainly because Excel is more capable.22

• Posted: 19 February 2012 05:48 PM #17

dduck - 19 February 2012 08:26 PM

I use Pages and Numbers all the time. Love them. Then again, I’m not a professional spreadsheet jockey.

They will never be Word or Excel, but they are fine when considered on their own merits.

They work fine for me too. They’re more like the old Microsoft Works than Office.

Posted: 19 February 2012 07:35 PM #18

So Mercel, what do you use for all your pictorial charts? 

Since AAPL had been treating me well these days, I figure I should be a good shareholder, buy iWork on the Mac App Store and see what it’s all about for myself.

[ Edited: 19 February 2012 07:38 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 February 2012 12:48 AM #19

Mav - 19 February 2012 11:35 PM

So Mercel, what do you use for all your pictorial charts? 

Since AAPL had been treating me well these days, I figure I should be a good shareholder, buy iWork on the Mac App Store and see what it’s all about for myself.

Exce1 2011 for Mac.  It’s far better than 2008.

Posted: 20 February 2012 01:35 AM #20

As it so happens I got Office 11 for almost nothing due to some Amazon Black Friday promo.  Just need Quicken to update and I can jump to Lion.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 February 2012 11:37 AM #21

I’ve not used office for a while now.  I’ve become frustrated with the massive illogical changes in the UI that pretty much either blocked me from doing things by making it harder or impossible to find.  I’ll admit they have one of the better spreadsheet programs out there, but I don’t tend to do spreadsheets.  So I’ve found I’m very happy with Nisis Writer Pro as my work processor.  And if I need spreadsheet for internal use I tend to bring up LibreOffice.

As for Microsoft in general, as long as Windows is the standard in business there will always be a large degree of Windows operating systems at home because most folks don’t like attempting to keep track of how to do “task X” two different ways.  And as long as MacOS has none of the business patch management tools, application deployment tools, etc it becomes a hard sell for IT to help users manage their desktops with IT supported applications.

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 11:47 AM by mouring ]      

Posted: 20 February 2012 11:55 AM #22

+

I work in an office setting, so using Microsoft Office is an absolute must. That doesn’t mean I like it, though, and I especially don’t like Word. It is always doing things I don’t want it to do, like indenting or changing fonts or making hyperlinks. It’s a word processor. It should get out of the way and let me type. Yet its like a constant battle just to get it to do what I want.

That said, I do a LOT of presentations for senior executives, all of whom use Windows while I use several Macs. I could never, ever do my job if it weren’t for the seamless compatibility between Windows Office and Office for OS X. When a senior exec halfway around the world in Asia needs a PPT presentation fixed at 1 AM, the last thing I want to worry about is document incompatibility. Yet in working where I work for 12+ years now, I’ve never had an incompatibility happen once.

Until the day comes that offices don’t need spreadsheets, presentations, and word documents, Microsoft won’t be going away. Office is simply too entrenched, and issues of compatibility too serious for any mass migration away from those tools.

That said, I do see Microsoft weakening over time. Mobile is where its at today, and they’ve yet to gain any traction there at all. Whether Windows 8 can change that remains to be seen. Where IMHO MS is running a huge risk is that they are threatening their own entrenched place on the desktop for the sake of mobile by betting so much on a unified operating system for all devices. At best, workplaces may simply not upgrade to Windows 8. At worst, Win 8 could be such a disaster as to make companies start to look elsewhere—Mac? Linux?—and if that happens, then at some future point I could see even the Office franchise being threatened, too. But we are a long, long way from that, if it ever comes to pass.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 20 February 2012 12:03 PM #23

Very rarely should you ever send a Word, Excel, Pages or Numbers document to someone else unless you want them to edit it. These are project files, not final output files.

Documents should be sent in PDF so they maintain their formatting and fonts, looking precisely as you created them, regardless of the viewer’s platform or version. It also prevents inadvertent or malicious editing.

Trivia: In the early days of HTML, PDF was strongly considered and supported by the publishing community as the standard for web pages. It allowed for smooth vector graphics and infinite fonts, creating a more professional and accurate document. Unfortunately it failed as more people preferred the smaller and faster downloading files of HTML with its very poor graphics.

Create in whatever app you wish, but send it as PDF, your friends will be much happier and they will appreciate your consideration.

Posted: 20 February 2012 12:30 PM #24

It seems that Word is still pretty much a requirement for college students.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 20 February 2012 12:47 PM #25

MSFT lost when they didn’t recognize the importance of interface in portable digital music, and left the creation of an ecosystem to Realnetworks and two dozen other half-assed efforts.

MSFT lost the day they won their monopoly court battle.

• Posted: 20 February 2012 01:19 PM #26

The interesting release would be Pages / Numbers / Keynote for Windows.

I would *love* to see how that would go !

Posted: 20 February 2012 01:26 PM #27

vpndev - 20 February 2012 05:19 PM

Apple would never do that.  They want to promote the sale of hardware and there is no money in software.

The next 10 years will be critical for MS.  They need to move Office into mobile space with great products and iOS like software.  If they can capture 25% of that market in that time frame they will buy more time for their PC model.

Apple will continue to grow in mobile in the next 10 years.  As more consumers get introduced to the iOS and Apps are written that would work with servers, then they can make some progress in the enterprise space.  That will take at least a decade.

Once they get a foothold in that space the flood gates will open in after 2020 we can see them grow 30% a year for another decade just in enterprise adoption of iOS.

Keep in mind that they have 8% market share and most of that is in the consumer space.  They probably have 3% in enterprise.  That is 97% left to chip away at.  In 10 years they can make some serious progress once the iPHone market starts to saturate and the iPad takes over the PC market in the consumer space.

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 01:36 PM by omacvi ]      
  • Posted: 20 February 2012 01:33 PM #28

Lee Dronick - 20 February 2012 04:30 PM

It seems that Word is still pretty much a requirement for college students.

I think you have to submit in Word format but you could probably use Pages to create it.

I would love it if you could set a preference to “save” by default in Word format. That would be a real help.

• Posted: 20 February 2012 01:36 PM #29

omacvi - 20 February 2012 05:26 PM
    vpndev - 20 February 2012 05:19 PM

Apple would never do that.  They want to promote the sale of hardware and there is no money in software.

Puzzling. I thought that iTunes and Safari were available for Windows.

• Posted: 20 February 2012 01:37 PM #30

pfuey - 20 February 2012 04:47 PM

MSFT lost when they didn’t recognize the importance of interface in portable digital music, and left the creation of an ecosystem to Realnetworks and two dozen other half-assed efforts.

MSFT lost the day they won their monopoly court battle.

Microsoft lost the day they decided to create VISTA.  They were already years behind Apple in creating a new OS based on Unix/Linux.  They didn’t want to recognize that it was time to dump the crippled OSes (Windows and Mac 9.x) when PCs became capable of running a real OS.  Unix provided the security, and built in networking and scalability needed for Apple’s current products.  Microsoft’s decision to prop up their failing DOS based OS was the killer.  The only reason it ever existed in the first place was to be run on PCs with 256K of RAM and 2MB hard drives.  To try to make it compete with a real, industrial OS was their biggest mistake.