Death & Taxes

• Posted: 22 February 2012 07:43 PM #61

repurchase or split.

+1

• Posted: 22 February 2012 08:10 PM #62

firestorm - 22 February 2012 06:12 PM

I place a lot of the blame for the deterioration of American values squarely on the economic policies of the right-wing.

From The American President.

“That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle-aged, middle-class, middle-income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character.”

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 22 February 2012 08:47 PM #63

lovemyipad - 22 February 2012 10:35 PM

Let’s see how long I last. wink

I remember when my ministry forum started we came up with six rules. Then those six rules expanded to dozens of rules. Once, I was asked what all the rules mean, I said the rules mean “No jerks, but that sadly, the jerks need to have it all spelled out for them.”

For the last twelve years it has worked out rather well?even on our political forums.

Good luck.  :innocent:

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 23 February 2012 03:12 AM #64

firestorm - 22 February 2012 09:18 PM

Another consideration is social and political: can you live with the predominant values of a place?  For me, western Washington State has been a reasonably good fit.  Seattle itself is far to the left of me (the statue of Lenin in the Fremont neighborhood is a light-hearted example), but at least there isn’t a knee-jerk negative reaction to traditionally centrist American ideas.

Seattle is left, yes.  But not to the left of you.  I’d say you’re running right with the pack.  :innocent:

Rep. McDermott keeps getting elected and it’s the biggest mystery as to why.  I wish I could vote for his opponent.  I live across the pond and can’t.

• Posted: 23 February 2012 03:16 AM #65

BillH - 23 February 2012 12:10 AM

I place a lot of the blame for the deterioration of American values squarely on the economic policies of the right-wing.

“That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle-aged, middle-class, middle-income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character.”

I liked this movie, and I’m a moderate.  I swing both Democrat and Republican.  Politicians are more interesting in keeping their jobs than doing the right thing.

• Posted: 23 February 2012 05:54 AM #66

From Maura Pennington,

Every day you walk by the pond in the park and every day the swans attract your attention.  Not the ducks or geese paddling about, but the swans.  They are special birds, yet no one else in the park seems to be acknowledging them.  So you take it upon yourself to give them a treat of bread crumbs, which you had leftover anyway.  They deserve it for being so extraordinary.  They enjoy snatching them up and you enjoy feeding them. Taking care of those special creatures feels right and important and it gives you something to do.  It?s more satisfying to engage with the swans than sit on a bench and simply watch them.

After this becomes your refreshing morning ritual, you begin to notice that there is one particular swan who never seems to get any breadcrumbs.  You start throwing them in his direction, trying at first to throw some to the others to keep them off on their own.  Yet every time, he misses out.  He just can?t seem to get to them.  Again and again, you try to single him out, all the while convinced that, though the swans are identical, this particular swan is the same one being overlooked.  Soon though, when your morning feeding becomes enough of a pattern that even the least special of birds would notice, the geese and ducks begin to swarm.  Now you must not only attempt to feed exclusively the helpless swan, but in general all the swans while warding off the objectionable geese.  It?s maddening, yet you are resolved to be their benefactor regardless because everyone else is passing obliviously through the park without a care.  What would the swans do if you didn’t care?

The leftover breadcrumbs are now not enough for the unique and needy swan, not enough for all the swans, and certainly not enough for the geese and ducks.  You buy a whole loaf of bread for the express purpose of feeding them, even though this adds to your grocery expenses.  What started as a spontaneous morning activity now requires thought, preparation, and execution.  How will you get that one swan his own morsels?  How can you punish the geese for involving themselves in what was only meant for swans?  Never do you consider that you can stop feeding them.  What will they eat for breakfast if not the breadcrumbs you provide!  They can?t survive in the pond without it! They can’t survive without you!

And then one day a park ranger comes over to you.  Having watched you incredulously morning after morning, he finally points angrily at a clearly marked sign at the edge of the pond.

Do Not Feed The Swans.

Posted: 23 February 2012 04:38 PM #67

Mercel - 23 February 2012 07:16 AM
    BillH - 23 February 2012 12:10 AM

I liked this movie, and I’m a moderate.  I swing both Democrat and Republican.  Politicians are more interesting in keeping their jobs than doing the right thing.

Michael Douglas is good in anything. But that movie leaned far too left IMO. I do find Annette Benning insufferable. Glad she is over 40, and now unemployable in “progressive” Hollywood.

And if you want to help the middle class, you don’t triple dividend taxes and keep interest rates at zero.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 23 February 2012 04:58 PM #68

I’d support eliminating corporate income taxes entirely if all dividends and capital gains were taxed as ordinary income (i.e. no long term capital gains rate), including unrealized gains which could be taxed annually on a mark to market basis (i.e. as if they were sold and re-purchased every year).

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 23 February 2012 05:46 PM #69

Apple II+ - 23 February 2012 08:58 PM

I’d support eliminating corporate income taxes entirely if all dividends and capital gains were taxed as ordinary income (i.e. no long term capital gains rate), including unrealized gains which could be taxed annually on a mark to market basis (i.e. as if they were sold and re-purchased every year).

Your suggestion has merits.  Why include unrealized gains/losses?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 23 February 2012 05:58 PM #70

Mace - 23 February 2012 09:46 PM

Canada had Income Trusts, which were a form of this (not the unrealized gains part though). We scrapped ‘em.

Posted: 23 February 2012 06:10 PM #71

Without that provision, it would be possible to avoid all such taxes indefinitely by companies issuing no dividends and shareholders never selling.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 23 February 2012 06:12 PM #72

jumar - 23 February 2012 09:58 PM

Canada had Income Trusts, which were a form of this (not the unrealized gains part though). We scrapped ‘em.

Canada had eliminated corporate income taxes? Why did they scrap that?

Signature

Posted: 23 February 2012 06:40 PM #73

Apple II+ - 23 February 2012 10:10 PM

Without that provision, it would be possible to avoid all such taxes indefinitely by companies issuing no dividends and shareholders never selling.

This is insanity. Tax unrealized gains? I can’t believe the things I hear from people who are supposedly self-interested investors. Why not just throw your money out a window? We want to make this country more attractive to investors, not less.

You do know that nobody lives forever, right? Eventually someone sells the stock. Even heirs have to pay cap gains when they sell.

Gawd, I really have lost my faith in democracy.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 23 February 2012 06:53 PM #74

I’ll take your vote! :D

Posted: 23 February 2012 07:41 PM #75

JDSoCal - 23 February 2012 10:40 PM
    Apple II+ - 23 February 2012 10:10 PM

This is insanity. Tax unrealized gains? I can’t believe the things I hear from people who are supposedly self-interested investors. Why not just throw your money out a window? We want to make this country more attractive to investors, not less.

You do know that nobody lives forever, right? Eventually someone sells the stock. Even heirs have to pay cap gains when they sell.

Gawd, I really have lost my faith in democracy.

Really? You’re more opposed to paying taxes on gains annually than you are in favor of eliminating corporate taxes entirely? What makes you think investors wouldn’t be attracted to American companies that pay 0% income tax? I really thought you of all people would be intrigued with this plan because of the 0% corporate tax.

Signature