OT: Vrooom…

Posted: 26 February 2012 08:01 PM

Here’s a place to talk about all AAPL-financed vehicles… wink

Posted: 26 February 2012 08:09 PM #1

Sort of reverse AAPL funding. I got a stack of money and paid off my Crossfire. Nice ride if you’re into two seaters. If I had purchased AAPL at the time my return would have been just under 50%. But at least my old payment is now going to share accumulation…

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 26 February 2012 08:57 PM #2

My Ski Doo GSX snowmobile..  I bought this year to be sure we would see NO snow here in Maine.  It worked :-(

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:06 PM #3

lovemyipad - 27 February 2012 12:01 AM

Thank you, Ms. IPad, for moving all the car talk to this new thread.  It was a little nauseating on the other.

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:13 PM #4

Well, I do think Ford GT’s make really cool mice.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:18 PM #5

lovemyipad - 27 February 2012 12:01 AM

My upcoming purchase isn’t financed, but is induced by AAPL.

Lately, I have been feeling a lot more comfortable spending some of my cash (outside of investments). It’s funny, in my accounts, buying and selling amounts way larger than my up coming purchase doesn’t cause any stress. Buying a car? that’s different. I guess I know what to buy with the investments.

Posted: 27 February 2012 12:03 AM #6

All this talk about cars got me interested in possibly getting a new set of wheels in 2 years.  If aapl truly hits about $1800 by mid 2014, I will buy the latest 4WD Toyota Sequoia and give my 2003 to my son as his first car.

We talked tonight and I can not see myself buying any of the sports cars mentioned.  Once you drive an SUV it is hard to come down to the road level.  Plus if I had an extra $100-$200K, I would buy a fractional ownership of some house on some beach in Hawaii or Caribbean.

• Posted: 27 February 2012 01:28 AM #7

I’m an Audi guy so I’ll probably sell my A6 and buy and A8 or R8 if AAPL comes close to some of the projections by some people here in the forum. smile

Posted: 27 February 2012 01:34 AM #8

Never forget where you came from if you’re lucky enough to get obscenely rich from AAPL, I tell myself.

RS6?  :innocent: LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 February 2012 01:42 AM #9

In honor of SJ, we should all consider a Mercedes SL. One year leases should do the trick so those of you in Cali can forgo the a license plate just like SJ.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-SL

Posted: 27 February 2012 01:45 AM #10

A good year to get one - just redesigned!

Or maybe a good time to get a deal on the outgoing model.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:05 AM #11

We’re currently looking to replace my wife’s Volvo with something else very soon. Just dumped about $1500 in repairs last week. Every year for the past several years has been in the neighborhood of $1000-$2000 in repairs. We’ve definitely had enough of this POS. I’m not quite sitting on heaps of cash from AAPL as some of you guys, but I should still be able to afford a decent car/small SUV my wife will be satisfied with.

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:30 AM #12

mightydog - 27 February 2012 05:42 AM

In honor of SJ, we should all consider a Mercedes SL. One year leases should do the trick so those of you in Cali can forgo the a license plate just like SJ.

It’s much cheaper to get a pair of new balance sneakers!

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:34 AM #13

True, but this _is_ the car thread.

(NB shoes are pretty nice general-purpose footwear.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 February 2012 04:04 AM #14

mightydog - 27 February 2012 05:42 AM

Already got it checked off my to-do list.

Now I’m thinking about a different car.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 27 February 2012 10:03 AM #15

Two assumptions:

ONE - Sell AAPL shares and purchase your dream car for $40,000 inclusive of taxes and all.

TWO - Keep your AAPL shares and drive the old jalopy longer.

TIME FRAME = 7 years.

Assuming you take good care of your hotrod and don’t live near the ocean or in a snow/ice/salt area, you should have a remaining residual value on your of give or take, $15,000.

The fugal miser, drives the jalopy till it falls apart, but keeps his AAPL which appreciates at 25% a year.

At the end of 7 years….

Hot Rod Eddie has an old car worth $15,000

Frugal Fred has a really really old car worth $2000 but has stock worth $191,000!

Note, both had “wheels” and did manage to get from A->B at the same speed, but Frugal Fred ALSO saved $1,000 a year on insurance, and at the same time didn’t piss off everyone the second he drove up to show off his zoomer.

Lesson:

The TRULY WEALTHY got there by NOT buying fancy cars. They understand DEPRECIATING ASSETS versus APPRECIATING ASSETS.

If you have cash to burn, NOW is the time to buy your MINI MANSION, prices will never be lower, and if you need to finance, interest rates will never be lower.

Bricks ENDURE.

Steel RUSTS.

Never forget that.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition