OT: Vrooom…

Posted: 15 August 2012 10:02 AM #151

I was just on vacation in Michigan. If you love cars and you are in the area of Battle Creek-Kalamazoo, visit the Gilmore Car Museum.

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 15 August 2012 07:58 PM #152

Speaking of mustypoontangs, er, Mustangs, the new show Counting Cars restored a 1968 GT Fastback, of Bullitt fame, for Rick the Pawn Star.

One thing about that car, they mention that it looks amazing, yet simple. Remind you of anything?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 15 August 2012 08:31 PM #153

I am old enough to remember not only that car but the original Mustang…Iococa’s brainstorm against a staid auto hegemony.  Not too big, not too small, fun to drive and cool….“make out in a mustang” being one marketing pitch.

What got everyone about the 1968 fastback was the lines…..so sleek…and that rear window….much bigger than “sporty” cars usually allowed…but it worked as style and function.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 15 August 2012 08:31 PM #154

galleybob - 15 August 2012 12:26 AM

Thanks Mav, I think she will buy the Lexus but I want her to at least check out the Acura. A cushy ride is probably what she is looking for.
    I have my eye on a all wheel drive Honda CRV.

If cost isn’t as _much_ of a consideration, make sure you look at the all-new ES 350, not the run-out 2012 models, first.  Of course there’s nothing wrong with the “old” ES 350 (for what it is and where it is on the upscale sedan spectrum).

As far as the CR-V…safe choice, but there might be better.  Also of note, the “new” CR-V is running with the 2.4L I-4 and 5-speed auto combo basically dating back to 2003.  If you must go Honda, maybe wait on the 6-speed auto and the new Earth Dreams series engines if you can.

[ Edited: 15 August 2012 08:34 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 August 2012 02:49 PM #155

Since we don’t have a car-OS-specific thread, I guess this should go in here.

Consumer Reports says Ford touch-screen system ‘stinks’

“MyFord Touch still frustrates us like few other control systems in any other brand’s automobiles,” Consumer Reports said in a blog post. “And worse, it is influencing competitors.”

Hmm, if there were only some company with an existing, beloved OS that could swoop into this market.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 25 August 2012 12:28 PM #156

I never tire of the best car chase in movie history.  Bullitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wD64vlMxLA

Posted: 25 August 2012 01:49 PM #157

Mercel - 25 August 2012 03:28 PM

I never tire of the best car chase in movie history.  Bullitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wD64vlMxLA

Abbreviated,  Watch the whole 9+ minute chase.  One of my all time favorites.

One of the reasons I own my current car:  2010 Mustang GT.  Love the look of the ‘68 fastback and the S197 Mustangs almost duplicate it.

That ‘68 McQueen is driving sure could use a posi rear   tongue laugh

And a syncromesh tanny. Double clutching is a pain.  He’s probably doing it just for the effect though.  Or just used to racing cars without it.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix