OT: Vrooom…

• Posted: 27 February 2012 11:40 PM #31

My latest contribution to the US economy. 

Posted: 27 February 2012 11:42 PM #32

Mercel - 28 February 2012 03:40 AM

My latest contribution to the US economy. 

Nice but I thought you bought the GT.wink

Posted: 27 February 2012 11:52 PM #33

How so?  That ain’t an American car!

(/intentional ignorance of economics)

(/not the least bit jealous)

(/hey that’s not an M3!)

(/Congrats!  6-speed or PDK?)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 February 2012 12:00 AM #34

Mav - 28 February 2012 03:52 AM

How so?  That ain’t an American car!

(/intentional ignorance of economics)

(/not the least bit jealous)

(/hey that’s not an M3!)

(/Congrats!  6-speed or PDK?)

You can’t buy a manual for this one.  It’s PDK only.  As far as ethnicity goes, I’m German driving this in America tongue laugh

I didn’t lease because I had a big trade and needed to capture the sales tax credit (you don’t have this in Calif.). 

The GT is out of production Spongie but really, that car was stickered at $400K+  Not for me.

[ Edited: 28 February 2012 12:05 AM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 28 February 2012 12:22 AM #35

Someone posted a picture of what looked like a GT Porsche?  It looked amazing.

• Posted: 28 February 2012 01:01 AM #36

omacvi - 28 February 2012 04:22 AM

I did.  It’s such a beautiful car…a timeless design in my opinion. Art on wheels.  Some cars age well, others don’t.  And I still love the old 356 Speedsters.

I opted for the 997 911, as I prefer this vintage of the cabriolet over that of the incoming 991 series.  The Turbo S is offered once every 6 years, offering some potential for collectibility.

Posted: 28 February 2012 02:18 AM #37

Congrats Mercel!

Currently negotiating the price down on a 2008 Alpinweiss BMW M3.  I was THIS close at buying a 2012 from the dealer with European Delivery package, etc, but then found out a friend of a friend was selling his, exactly the options and colors I wanted, with 13K miles, for $30K off.  Just off warranty, hasn’t been tracked or abused, perfect service records, and I could start enjoying it in a few days, versus a few months for the new one.  And of course, paid all for in cash, courtesy of AAPL.

My 540i is going to feel jealous, but I’ll keep both in the house.  I want the M3 to be more of a “weekend/track car”, and the 540i to be the commuter/winter car around town.

Posted: 28 February 2012 02:43 AM #38

Mercel - 28 February 2012 05:01 AM

I did.  It’s such a beautiful car…a timeless design in my opinion. Art on wheels.  Some cars age well, others don’t.  And I still love the old 356 Speedsters.

I opted for the 997 911, as I prefer this vintage of the cabriolet over that of the incoming 991 series.  The Turbo S is offered once every 6 years, offering some potential for collectibility.

Nice! According to Wikipedia, somehow that Cabrio is the fastest 0-60 of all the 997’s? Even faster than the 2 turboed GT2 RS?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 28 February 2012 08:11 AM #39

JDSoCal - 28 February 2012 06:43 AM

Nice! According to Wikipedia, somehow that Cabrio is the fastest 0-60 of all the 997’s? Even faster than the 2 turboed GT2 RS?

Yes.  And thanks.  The GT2 RS is slower by a few ticks because it’s a manual.  The Turbo S only comes with PDK, which takes some practice because the shift pattern on the floor is OPPOSITE of the DCT on the M3.  !!!!!  Porsche is push for downshift and BMW is pull—the paddles work similarly between the two cars, however. 

The Coupe is 1 tick faster than the Cab. from 0 to 60, though top speed is the same I wanted an open top after 25+ years since my last one;  I also prefer the styling of the Cabriolet.  Early impression on performance?  Truly exotic power band.

• Posted: 28 February 2012 08:17 AM #40

mjuarez - 28 February 2012 06:18 AM

Congrats Mercel!

Currently negotiating the price down on a 2008 Alpinweiss BMW M3.  I was THIS close at buying a 2012 from the dealer with European Delivery package, etc, but then found out a friend of a friend was selling his, exactly the options and colors I wanted, with 13K miles, for $30K off.  Just off warranty, hasn’t been tracked or abused, perfect service records, and I could start enjoying it in a few days, versus a few months for the new one.  And of course, paid all for in cash, courtesy of AAPL.

My 540i is going to feel jealous, but I’ll keep both in the house.  I want the M3 to be more of a “weekend/track car”, and the 540i to be the commuter/winter car around town.

You’re going to love the M3, which has F1 car attributes.  You didn’t say what transmission.  I opted for DCT, as I felt the weight of the E90 series might make the manual less enjoyable.  However, I would have chosen the manual if I had known my future included a P car w/PDK.

[ Edited: 28 February 2012 08:19 AM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 28 February 2012 11:57 AM #41

Mercel - 28 February 2012 12:17 PM
    mjuarez - 28 February 2012 06:18 AM

Congrats Mercel!

You’re going to love the M3, which has F1 car attributes.  You didn’t say what transmission.  I opted for DCT, as I felt the weight of the E90 series might make the manual less enjoyable.  However, I would have chosen the manual if I had known my future included a P car w/PDK.

I’ve driven manual my entire life, and there’s no other way if you’re going to track it.  smile  I tried out the DCT at the dealer, and it feels incredible, to be honest.  Smooth and fast shifting, all the way to redline on M mode, very, very responsive. However, I like shifting myself, even if I’m losing a few tenths here and there.  It just feels more “connected” to the car/engine, if you know what I mean.

The weight is definitely an issue.  The E92 M3 weighs MORE than my E39 540i (about 3,700 lbs vs 3,650 lbs), but it doesn’t feel like it.  I’ve driven both cars, very aggressively, and the M3 feels lightweight, nimble and much more “planted” than my 540i.  Of course, it’s an M-car versus a non-M, but still, it felt like I was driving a car that was 500 pounds LIGHTER.  Just amazing.

• Posted: 28 February 2012 12:20 PM #42

mjuarez - 28 February 2012 03:57 PM

I’ve driven manual my entire life, and there’s no other way if you’re going to track it.  smile  I tried out the DCT at the dealer, and it feels incredible, to be honest.  Smooth and fast shifting, all the way to redline on M mode, very, very responsive. However, I like shifting myself, even if I’m losing a few tenths here and there.  It just feels more “connected” to the car/engine, if you know what I mean.

I track my R8 and have the manual.  The guys that are really into their track times swear to they are blue in the face that the RTronic (not a DCT though) is the way to go. This is pretty much what the Lambo Gallardo has.  They are right in one way, as there is no way a manual can keep up with the new transmission technologies.  But I am with you, on how much more engaging and fun the experience is with the manual.

I switched cars with a guy who has a 2011 Turbo PDK on the track one day.  I drove his turbo and he drove my R8.  The only way I could describe how fast that thing is shock and awe.  What else can you say about a vehicle that will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds?  Even that experience though, would not convince me to ditch the manual.  However, all this stuff is subjective and personal opinion.

Posted: 28 February 2012 02:26 PM #43

Mercel - 28 February 2012 12:11 PM
    JDSoCal - 28 February 2012 06:43 AM

Yes.  And thanks.  The GT2 RS is slower by a few ticks because it’s a manual.  The Turbo S only comes with PDK, which takes some practice because the shift pattern on the floor is OPPOSITE of the DCT on the M3.  !!!!!  Porsche is push for downshift and BMW is pull—the paddles work similarly between the two cars, however. 

The Coupe is 1 tick faster than the Cab. from 0 to 60, though top speed is the same I wanted an open top after 25+ years since my last one;  I also prefer the styling of the Cabriolet.  Early impression on performance?  Truly exotic power band.

That really is awesome, since as you know, typically cabrios of any make are invariably slower. I went with a Grand Sport over a Z06 (436 HP vs. 505) mainly because the top comes off (got a coupe, not full cabrio, to retain classic teardrop window).

Corvette autos have paddle shifters. Supposedly, they suck until aftermarket tuned (obviously, Porsche’s shifters do not). I just had to have the M6, personal preference. Not like I’m going to ever track the thing…

What an awesome car! Now let’s see if you’ll ever let a valet touch it.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 28 February 2012 02:46 PM #44

I mentioned this sometime last year, but I picked up a Bonnie T100 last spring thanks to AAPL, and can’t wait to get it out again this spring.

It’s not a GT or an RS6, but it’ll do wink

Posted: 29 February 2012 12:35 AM #45

Hold off on that Audi!

Mercedes Benz to offer Siri in new class of vehicles:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/02/28/mercedes_benz_to_add_siri_integration_to_new_a_class_line.html