OT: Vrooom…

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:21 AM #61

I’m not a car guy, but that one looks like a precursor of some of the cars in American Graffiti, a great movie without which we arguably might not be discussing AAPL. No American Graffiti, no Star Wars. No Star Wars, no Pixar. No Pixar, no Apple 2.0? Perhaps.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 01 March 2012 08:34 AM #62

Mav - 01 March 2012 05:53 AM

Just tell us who won LOL

The new M5?

Audi R8. Followed by GTR, and then Carrera S.  This was not a “see who’s fastest in the quarter mile” type of review.  Much more of a subjective driving experience comparison.  The reason that I thought this would be a suprise to most is that the R8 almost never enters the conversation vs more traditional brands.  Most people would not even put it on their consideration list.  That R8 is almost a five year old design now, which shows what an outstanding first attempt at a sports car Audi came up with.  The specs are kind of ordinary now, but the driving experience sure isn’t. A well done mid engine design is a treat to drive.

• Posted: 01 March 2012 11:10 AM #63

Lstream - 01 March 2012 12:34 PM

Just tell us who won LOL

The new M5?

Audi R8. Followed by GTR, and then Carrera S.  This was not a “see who’s fastest in the quarter mile” type of review.  Much more of a subjective driving experience comparison.  The reason that I thought this would be a suprise to most is that the R8 almost never enters the conversation vs more traditional brands.  Most people would not even put it on their consideration list.  That R8 is almost a five year old design now, which shows what an outstanding first attempt at a sports car Audi came up with.  The specs are kind of ordinary now, but the driving experience sure isn’t. A well done mid engine design is a treat to drive.

Mid-engine is the only way to go for complete performance.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 01 March 2012 11:12 AM #64

JDSoCal - 01 March 2012 11:54 AM

Cool car Gregg. Now how much for the Good Ship Lollypop?

Less than NADA high retail.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 01 March 2012 11:44 AM #65

Gregg Thurman - 01 March 2012 03:10 PM
    Lstream - 01 March 2012 12:34 PM

Just tell us who won LOL

The new M5?

And yet, which is the best handling car? Strangely enough, a front-engined car.

My Grand Sport had the second-best skidpad behind the ZR-1 (1.09 g).

BTW, chocolate is better than vanilla, in case you were wondering.

[ Edited: 01 March 2012 11:46 AM by JDSoCal ]

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 01 March 2012 12:46 PM #66

What car should I get for $25,000?  Must have built-in GPS.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:30 PM #67

Mace - 01 March 2012 04:46 PM

New or used?

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:36 PM #68

Gregg Thurman - 01 March 2012 03:10 PM

Yes, that’s why you won’t see a front-engined Formula 1 or Indy race car. Keeping in mind that many front-engined sports cars have the engine moved so far back that they are closer to being a mid-engine car than not. Placing the engine in the front with the transmission in the rear is a very old design. When Bugatti wanted to design the worlds fastest production car, they stuck the engine in the back for good reason.

:apple:

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:54 PM #69

Eric Landstrom - 01 March 2012 05:30 PM

New or used?

Brand new.

Signature

Posted: 01 March 2012 02:45 PM #70

Mace - 01 March 2012 05:54 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 01 March 2012 05:30 PM

New or used?

Brand new.

Mazda Miata, VeeDub GTI, Ford Mustang, KIA Optima Turbo. For $25K, I’d look at the 274 hp KIA first.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 01 March 2012 02:48 PM #71

Gregg Thurman - 01 March 2012 07:03 AM

Seller agreed to my offer today for Shirley’s Buick.  :!:  Contracts being FedEx’d now.  Deposit made through VISA.

I did well in the negotiations.  You can see it here:

http://tinyurl.com/Shirley-Temple-Buick

grin        :smilesanta:        :-D         tongue laugh         8-)

Congrats and way less upkeep than my own weaknesses (that break in the garage when parked for no good reason).

Signature

Posted: 01 March 2012 03:05 PM #72

How big, Mace?  What type of ride?

Jetta GTI/GLI is looking like a good pick this generation despite the complaints that VW’s been cheaping out.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 01 March 2012 04:45 PM #73

Mav - 01 March 2012 07:05 PM

Jetta GTI/GLI is looking like a good pick this generation despite the complaints that VW’s been cheaping out.

Mav and Eric,

Thank for the non-suggestion rolleyes.  It is for my son.  Safety and reliability are most important.

Signature

• Posted: 01 March 2012 04:52 PM #74

Mace - 01 March 2012 08:45 PM

Mav and Eric,

Thank for the non-suggestion rolleyes.  It is for my son.  Safety and reliability are most important.

How old is your son?  I bet he is excited about getting a brand new car.

Posted: 01 March 2012 05:04 PM #75

Mace - 01 March 2012 08:45 PM

Mav and Eric,

A Consumer Reports subscription might be in order. They review all the nitty gritties on cars.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007