March 7th new iPad event (Archive)

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:41 AM #46

Mercel - 04 March 2012 04:27 AM

I’ve decided on mine:  Black 64GB 3G

ah, I hope you meant 4G.  LOL

I’ll be ordering a 16G 4G (Verizon) for my wife. Will also likely be selling her ipad2 (Vz) as i don’t really care for the interface. MUCH prefer to tether my MBP to my iPhone.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

• Posted: 04 March 2012 12:54 AM #47

johnG - 04 March 2012 04:41 AM

ah, I hope you meant 4G.  LOL

I’ll be ordering a 16G 4G (Verizon) for my wife. Will also likely be selling her ipad2 (Vz) as i don’t really care for the interface. MUCH prefer to tether my MBP to my iPhone.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

You’re right.  I’m playing conservative smile

Posted: 04 March 2012 03:34 AM #48

Red Shirted Ensign - 04 March 2012 04:39 AM

Me too.  My wife wants white to match her iPhone…...really, matching your devices, not a guy thing…or is it?

I’m mystified why white is such a popular color.

Then again, I’ve owned iMac keyboards and the 2nd-gen flat-panel iMac so I know how that color, well, discolors some over time, even with a protective layer as in the case of the iMac’s awesomely adjustable monitor.

Then again again, it really helps me identify iPhone and iPad owners.  :D And when it’s something like the Galaxy Note, it’s even easier to distinguish.

[ Edited: 04 March 2012 04:04 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 March 2012 03:39 AM #49

Mav - 04 March 2012 03:44 AM

Don’t use your iPad for trading much, or do you have Wi-Fi coverage for that?  I’m very much looking forward to using my iPad 3 to assist my trading.

I’m really not thrilled with the iOS versions of trading software, at least based on my iPhone, which is one reason I’m considering a MBA instead.

Who’s trading options on the iPad and with what brokerage?

And yeah Mercel, your comments on Apple not revealing upcoming products to accessory makers is exactly how I figured it was.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 04 March 2012 10:00 AM #50

JDSoCal - 04 March 2012 07:39 AM
    Mav - 04 March 2012 03:44 AM

Don’t use your iPad for trading much, or do you have Wi-Fi coverage for that?  I’m very much looking forward to using my iPad 3 to assist my trading.

I’m really not thrilled with the iOS versions of trading software, at least based on my iPhone, which is one reason I’m considering a MBA instead.

Who’s trading options on the iPad and with what brokerage?

And yeah Mercel, your comments on Apple not revealing upcoming products to accessory makers is exactly how I figured it was.

I’ve had to trade a couple times on my iPhone (Schwab app) and find that app almost useless. JMO, a tethered MBA is THE way to go when traveling and trading.

cheers
          JohnG

• Posted: 04 March 2012 11:15 AM #51

Here’s a decent video comparing iPad 2 and 3.  Aesthetically, it’s an evolution but the SCREEN is a revolution.  A new dock connector (hopefully it fits the new cable better).  And SIRI.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/04/ipad-3-parts-put-together-on-video-ipad-2-smart-cover-still-works/

Posted: 04 March 2012 11:23 AM #52

New dock connector?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 March 2012 11:28 AM #53

Mav - 04 March 2012 03:23 PM

New dock connector?

Looks like it to me.  The current dock connector barely fits, leaving too much metal exposed on the tapered edge.  The new one appears less wide, and I suspect the connection will make nice with the tapered edge.

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:55 PM #54

Ah.  I thought you meant _incompatible_.  That’s more like it.

Nighttime dock charging recommendations?  Had looked at iD31 iHome or something with the trick extra USB port but it’s no longer on sale really, and people complained incessantly about iPad wobbliness. There’s also the new Stems that I’ve seen at the Apple store, but they don’t support the “alll-important” radio function.  Yeah, so I’m old-school.  I do like radio every now and then.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 March 2012 01:20 PM #55

Mav - 04 March 2012 04:55 PM

Ah.  I thought you meant _incompatible_.  That’s more like it.

Nighttime dock charging recommendations?  Had looked at iD31 iHome or something with the trick extra USB port but it’s no longer on sale really, and people complained incessantly about iPad wobbliness. There’s also the new Stems that I’ve seen at the Apple store, but they don’t support the “alll-important” radio function.  Yeah, so I’m old-school.  I do like radio every now and then.

I have a couple of their small units which work great and travel well with our iPhones.  This appears to be what you’re looking for.
    http://www.xtrememac.com/Products/Audio/Luna-SST-/Luna-Voyager-II/

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 04 March 2012 01:25 PM #56

Thanks for the recommendation.

My #1 goal is to get an “alarm clock dock” with fairly fast-charge capability, and if it charges an iPad that certainly fits the bill (I love 2.1 amp car chargers, btw).  The trickier one is finding a solution that’ll charge two iDevices at once, even if through a spare USB port, which would be fine and probably keep the cost down a bit anyway.  Hey, more for your money, right.  Shame that only that one iHome model - and nothing else on the market like it AFAIK - has that “dock an iPad, plug in an iPhone via USB” option or better.

[ Edited: 04 March 2012 01:30 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 March 2012 01:33 PM #57

How about screen protectors?  Anyone use em?

And to steer myself back OT:  no 96/128GB model this go-round?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 March 2012 08:15 PM #58

Mav - 04 March 2012 05:33 PM

Nope.  That’s what smart covers are for, right?  I’ve never had a problem going nude.

• Posted: 04 March 2012 09:01 PM #59

We initially got this Big Grips case because we have small children.  They almost never use the iPad but we leave it on as we find it more comfortable to hold the device.

I’m sure many would disagree, but we love this thing.  Your iPad will take up a LOT more room in a bag, but it only takes about 3 seconds to pop it out of the Big Grip.

I’ve never felt the need to protect the screen on an iOS device - if you’re asking about protective film or that sort of thing.  The Big Grip is more to protect from falls.

http://biggrips.com/

Posted: 04 March 2012 09:34 PM #60

I doubt it. Apple has to leave room for the HW geeks to complain.  LOL

cheers
        JohnG