March 7th new iPad event (Archive)

• Posted: 04 March 2012 11:59 PM #61

Hi! I worked for Apple from 1990 to 1999. Left the company to join a .com at the height of the bubble. Anyway, I sunk most of my 401K into Apple back in November. Still holding. I have stock, some March 525 calls, and Jan 14 600 calls. I was tempted to sell my March options last Friday. I still don’t know when I am going to sell them.

Regarding this question, “Who?s trading options on the iPad and with what brokerage?” I really like OptionsXpress. They have a great iPad and iPhone app.

Cheers to all

Posted: 05 March 2012 02:56 AM #62

Mav - 04 March 2012 05:33 PM

How about screen protectors?  Anyone use em?

And to steer myself back OT:  no 96/128GB model this go-round?

I have tried several screen protectors and have never found one that didn’t significantly change the wonderful silky smooth responsiveness of a naked screen.  So I have always gone without on my iPads and iPhones and haven’t really had any major scratches, even with years of daily use. 

The rumor on storage staying the same has me stumped.  I fully expected to see a bump to 128gb.  Retina display means more HD content which invariably means more space will be needed. Its strange that the 3rd iteration of the device has the exact same storage capacity as the first introduced nearly 2 years ago.

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

Posted: 05 March 2012 03:09 AM #63

For me, I have _always_messed with perfection. wink  I gotta have screen protectors for my iPhones.

Well Powersupport has always been good to me.  Maybe I’ll try a crystal film for a while.  Hey if it totally doesn’t work, I can always peel it off and ask for a refund.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 March 2012 03:42 AM #64

FormerAppleGuy - 05 March 2012 03:59 AM

Hi! I worked for Apple from 1990 to 1999. Left the company to join a .com at the height of the bubble. Anyway, I sunk most of my 401K into Apple back in November. Still holding. I have stock, some March 525 calls, and Jan 14 600 calls. I was tempted to sell my March options last Friday. I still don’t know when I am going to sell them.

Regarding this question, “Who?s trading options on the iPad and with what brokerage?” I really like OptionsXpress. They have a great iPad and iPhone app.

Good to know, thanks. As a Schwab guy, OptionsXpress is now aligned with/owned by them, and I was considering doing a virtual trade acct with them. Eventually, I think Schwab will fully integrate OptionsXpress, and it won’t even require a separate account. I’ll check it out.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:01 AM #65

I am really thinking that Apple is going to call this iteration the iPadHD rather than the iPad3. To me it makes sense since it looks like the Retina Display will be the biggest change.

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:07 AM #66

[deleted]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:12 AM #67

Yeah the future naming does get all messed up for sure.  iPad3 is safe, but I am still thinking iPadHD.  I am wrong very often though. grin

Signature

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:14 AM #68

rudyo - 05 March 2012 08:01 AM

I am really thinking that Apple is going to call this iteration the iPadHD rather than the iPad3. To me it makes sense since it looks like the Retina Display will be the biggest change.

While I have no real evidence of this, other than the story about the two accessory makers “HD” SKU’s, it would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

HD is for viewing movies, and would justify a higher price.
    SD (maybe a legacy iPad 2?) is cheaper, for viewing books and the WWW and the like.

1080p is a big feature for me.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:27 AM #69

JDSoCal - 05 March 2012 08:14 AM
    rudyo - 05 March 2012 08:01 AM

While I have no real evidence of this, other than the story about the two accessory makers “HD” SKU’s, it would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

HD is for viewing movies, and would justify a higher price.
    SD (maybe a legacy iPad 2?) is cheaper, for viewing books and the WWW and the like.

1080p is a big feature for me.

As someone who has had to read several books on my iPad, I am truly looking forward to the retina display for book reading alone, the current resolution just isn’t high enough for long form comfortable reading in my opinion.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:32 AM #70

I might actually read a little more of Isaacson’s uneven Steve Jobs biography once I can do so on a bigger, super-high-res screen.  Wednesday 10AM Pacific time, when will you get here?!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 March 2012 10:53 AM #71

rudyo - 05 March 2012 08:12 AM

Yeah the future naming does get all messed up for sure.  iPad3 is safe, but I am still thinking iPadHD.  I am wrong very often though. grin

I think you might be right.  It’s a massive upgrade.  And it will emphasize the lack of such a display in the competing tablets more than iPad 3 would.

Posted: 05 March 2012 11:12 AM #72

This is not really about the ipad3, but it is cool and will be the future of small retail…..

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/05/square-moves-up-the-value-chain-with-square-register-ipad-pos-system/

Great video. grin

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 05 March 2012 11:19 AM #73

Here’s more support for near-immediate availability of iPad 3.  I’m predicting March 9, a Friday.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/05/ipad_3_cases_shipping_to_best_buy_ahead_of_apples_announcement___report.html

• Posted: 05 March 2012 11:19 AM #74

How many of you believe Apple will produce only one size of iPad for the next few years? I don’t know how much credence we should give to the rumors of a 7.8-inch junior model coming this year, but whenever Apple begins to diversify the iPad line, we’re going to need a new naming scheme to differentiate two or three sizes. And just as the iBook name disappeared from Apple’s hardware line years before iBooks came into use for software, I am sure that Apple plans well ahead. Could we see the debut of a new-style name this week?

Azuma

• Posted: 05 March 2012 11:24 AM #75

I’m convinced that Apple is going to market a 7.85” iPad.  Here’s a new story naming the assembler and supplier.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/05/production-of-7-85-inch-ipad-reportedly-moving-closer-as-more-suppliers-named/