March 7th new iPad event (Archive)

Posted: 05 March 2012 11:27 AM #76

I believe there will be new sizes of iOS devices.  I just don’t know if its going to be mini-iPad or super iPod first.

Posted: 05 March 2012 02:39 PM #77

Tetrachloride - 05 March 2012 03:27 PM

I believe there will be new sizes of iOS devices.  I just don’t know if its going to be mini-iPad or super iPod first.

I agree.  All price points from $199 to $899 will be covered in one form or another. Heck, we might even see an IOS device, with a touchscreen at $99 without a contract.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 05 March 2012 03:20 PM #78

Look at these comparisons for Gaming platforms. IOS just clobbers Android….and imagine what the Ipad 3 will be able to do on these game metrics….

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/05/apples-ios-runs-html5-games-three-times-faster-than-android/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 05 March 2012 04:37 PM #79

Bear in mind re: iPad 3 demand/supply:  Approx. 55M iPads have been sold since the first one. 
    If you believe the surveys showing 50% of current customers of iPad (and Kindle) intend to purchase iPad 3, that’s demand for 27.5M iPad 3s (ignoring first-timers who have waited for the new one).

And don’t forget that customers have a much easier time upgrading freed of contracts that limit their upgrade cycle, unlike the iPhone.

I predict the demand for the iPad 3 will be unprecedented.

• Posted: 05 March 2012 05:04 PM #80

What do people REALLY want in iPad 3?

Vote and see the results:

http://mashable.com/2012/02/15/ipad3-features-poll/

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:09 PM #81

Mercel - 05 March 2012 08:37 PM

Bear in mind re: iPad 3 demand/supply:  Approx. 55M iPads have been sold since the first one. 
    If you believe the surveys showing 50% of current customers of iPad (and Kindle) intend to purchase iPad 3, that’s demand for 27.5M iPad 3s (ignoring first-timers who have waited for the new one).

And don’t forget that customers have a much easier time upgrading freed of contracts that limit their upgrade cycle, unlike the iPhone.

I predict the demand for the iPad 3 will be unprecedented.

I think the iPad will match the iPhone growth cycle, with each new model outselling all previous models combined. It has more to do with apples planned unit production rather than potential consumers

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:13 PM #82

Yup.

30 million iPads sold in the holiday quarter?  Not out of the question.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:17 PM #83

Now CNET is calling it iPad HD:

Next iPad will be the iPad HD, not the iPad 3

CNET has learned that Apple’s next tablet will be called the iPad HD instead of the iPad 3.

A developer who’s previously provided reliable information with respect to things Apple and otherwise tells us the next iPad uses the HD moniker instead of going with “iPad 3.”

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:22 PM #84

I guess it will (hopefully) have an HD screen, running Apps & Video in HD, and a camera capable of capturing HD video, and capable of outputting HD video over Airplay.

Be a bit strange if they keep the ipad 2 name around as well.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 05 March 2012 08:45 PM #85

JDSoCal - 06 March 2012 12:17 AM

Now CNET is calling it iPad HD:

Next iPad will be the iPad HD, not the iPad 3

CNET has learned that Apple’s next tablet will be called the iPad HD instead of the iPad 3.

A developer who’s previously provided reliable information with respect to things Apple and otherwise tells us the next iPad uses the HD moniker instead of going with “iPad 3.”

I like it better than iPad 3 but would be surprised if this rumor pans out.  What comes after iPad HD?  iPad HD+ ?
    iPad HD Premium?
    iPad HD Deluxe?

I dunno, it seems like Apple would continue the numerical pattern.

• Posted: 05 March 2012 08:47 PM #86

Mav - 06 March 2012 12:13 AM

Yup.

30 million iPads sold in the holiday quarter?  Not out of the question.

iPad 3 sales will absolutely be constrained by production level, at least for Q2 2012 and Q3 2012

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:49 PM #87

Selling every iPhone/iPad they can make is a good problem for Apple to have.

Looking forward to March 7 to get a better idea of what that’ll be for the remainder of fiscal Q2 and for fiscal Q3.

To me, what the iPad will be named will be interesting, but hardly essential to Apple’s continued success.  Well, except if they call it the iPad IGZO or something needlessly…needless.  Then I’d raise an eyebrow.

[ Edited: 05 March 2012 08:52 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 March 2012 10:32 PM #88

Reports today that the Air Freight shipping rates from China have spiked during this past week, due to Apple buying up most of the capacity to air freight iPad 3 units.

fingers crossed that this points to almost immediate availability after announcement.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 05 March 2012 10:56 PM #89

Another new wrinkle to Apple’s strategy?  Announce when millions of iPhones and iPad are already prepping for delivery, for near-immediate sale?

I like it.  :D

This doesn’t sound like ship-to-your-door-for-launch. :(  But I can settle for for reserve-and-pick-up.  Then again again, volumes are rapidly getting to the point where Apple may need to invest in regional fulfillment centers.  I dunno.  How do you ship 50, 60 million iPhones and stuff in a quarter?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 March 2012 11:34 PM #90

I had read a few more random posts on the web this weekend about the iPad in the invitation not having a home button.  My response has been, “it’s in landscape mode, duh!!!”. 

My son and I decided to confirm this by looking at the bubble patterns in the invite compared to those on his iPad 2.  We wanted to look at the position of the bubbles in the background to determine if the iPad was indeed in portrait or landscape mode.  I had assumed the iPad was in landscape mode and this is why there was no physical home button. 

We found the same bubble pattern that is shown in the invite slightly above and between the Calendar and Keynote icons.  Much to our surprise, these bubbles are above the 2 icons at the far right of the dock when the iPad is in PORTRAIT mode.  They are in the same place in the invitation and on our iPad2.  When rotated to landscape mode, these same bubbles do not show up above any of the icons.  If the iPad shown on the invite is in portrait mode, the home button should be below the Maps icon on the invite, but there is no button shown on the invitation.

The simple answer could be Apple airbrushed out the home button on the invite. Or a similar image was used for the bubbles wallpaper, but it is shifted or rotated in the new iPad due to a higher resolution image being needed for the retina display. 

Anyway, I found it interesting the button does appear to be “missing” if the same bubble wallpaper is used for the new iPad.  Even based on the spacing between the icons, it definitely does not appear to be in landscape mode.

Edit:  I guess we weren’t the first to do the background comparison.  Here is an article from last week that did the same thing…

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/ipad/is-the-home-button-missing-on-the-ipad-3/

[ Edited: 05 March 2012 11:45 PM by AAPLTrader99 ]