Poll:  Will you buy an iPad 3?

• Posted: 02 March 2012 11:56 AM #31

Mav - 02 March 2012 03:50 PM

Answer the question!

(nice manbag recommendation though)

I still lug my MBP, beholden as I am to Excel.  I don’t take my iPad everywhere….it still falls into the category of “accessory.”

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:56 AM #32

$550!  What model?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:03 PM #33

Mav - 02 March 2012 03:34 PM

Current iPad owners:  Were you already lugging laptops around before you bought your iPad?

Yes and I still am. The iPad is great but I got it in August and am still trying to integrate it into my workflow. Honestly I use it for a little surfing and games at home and take the iPod Touch with me on the road and to work.

I got a nice 11x13 nylon bag for 550Y in Kobe that works great for the iPad. Mostly I use the bag for my lunch though.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 02 March 2012 12:22 PM #34

We have the original iPad, so I just don’t know.  If it has significant new features that I would like (I don’t know what the features would be) I may replace our iPads.

So far our iPads do everything we want/need so I don’t know what a new version could offer.

Andy D

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:47 PM #35

I have an iPad2 which I rarely use.  Doubt I’ll get this unless it’s REALLY cool.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:03 PM #36

I voted for ‘No, I already have an iPad’, because that seems the closest to my actual situation, which is simply that I can’t afford to buy an iPad, and won’t be able to for the foreseeable future. I’d love one, but just can’t justify the cost (paying off credit cards, kid needs braces, gas prices through the ceiling, etc.). I think a lot of people fit into that category, actually, considering the state of many economies. Mind you, I’m by no means saying that the iPad is overpriced, but for those who already have a computer (mine is a Mac, of course) and don’t really need a portable computer (especially if they already have something like an iPhone), spending $500 for a luxury item - even one as cool as an iPad - is likely prohibitive.

This is why I think Apple would be wise to keep offering the iPad 2, maybe with 8GB of flash storage, for maybe $350, once the iPad 3 is available. Having a good, but not top-of-the-line iPad - still the coolest tablet on the market as of now - would get them even more marketshare. It still wouldn’t be just a drop in the bucket, but it would be low enough to get many people to buy one who otherwise would abstain due to limited finances.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:05 PM #37

Current iPad owners:  Were you already lugging laptops around before you bought your iPad?

Three answers:

1.  Son - Yes.  Seldom used the iPad 1.  Was THE family iPad till iPad 2.  Staying in the dorm.
    2.  Spouse - Yes.  Use iPad at home and during vacation. Is THE family iPad.
    3.  Me - No.  Always at home so iMac is better.  Replaced MBP with an iMac.  Use the family iPad.

IMHO, all AAPL buy n hold investors (not traders) should at least buy an iPad (and any new Apple products) to try out.  This is due diligence.  Can always sell at Craigslist or eBay if found not suitable.

My opinion has to be taken from the perspective of an investor because I buy Apple products for investment and collection reason not for consumption only e.g. I don’t need an iPhone or any smart phone yet I have an iPhone 4S 64GB.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:11 PM #38

Mace - 02 March 2012 05:05 PM

Three answers:

1.  Son - Yes.  Seldom used the iPad 1.  Was THE family iPad till iPad 2.  Staying in the dorm.
    2.  Spouse - Yes.  Use iPad at home and during vacation. Is THE family iPad.
    3.  Me - No.  Always at home so iMac is better.  Replaced MBP with an iMac.  Use the family iPad.

IMHO, all AAPL buy n hold investors (not traders) should at least buy an iPad (and any new Apple products) to try out.  This is due diligence.  Can always sell at Craigslist or eBay if found not suitable.

My opinion has to be taken from the perspective of an investor because I buy Apple products for investment and collection reason not for consumption only e.g. I don’t need an iPhone or any smart phone yet I have an iPhone 4S 64GB.

Mace

You have a strange life.  I can’t live without my iPhone.  My iPad is used 80% of time.

My daughter only uses iPad 1 on trips.  She is begging for an iPod touch because the first generation iPhine is too slow and she wants a video recorder.

My wife and son are very happy with their iPhones and don’t care for the iPad one bit.

You need to come to Vegas to complete your due dilligence on other Apple investors. :-D

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:11 PM #39

MOSiX Man - 02 March 2012 05:03 PM

... I can’t afford to buy an iPad, and won’t be able to for the foreseeable future ...

Do yourself a favor and buy some AAPLs (may be not now, perhaps when it corrects to 50-day Simple Moving Average, if you don’t know what this is, web search for it).  No need much, just 1 to a few shares will do.  Sell after one year, should be able to buy a few iPads with the profit.

Signature

• Posted: 02 March 2012 01:21 PM #40

Mace - 02 March 2012 05:05 PM

I agree. I think it’s hard to truly “get” where Apple is going without owning an iPhone, and iPad, and Apple TV and a Mac of some sort. The iPad is not a computer replacement… it’s something else more intimate, and you can only truly understand that by owning one, even if you decide to sell it afterwards. Also, understanding how the three devices do and don’t work together is pretty important to Apple’s long term plan.

Yes, that’s a big chunk of change for all of those, but it becomes an investment in your investing.

I bought a Kindle for the same reason when I was investing in Amazon, even though I *really* didn’t need a Kindle (I have a queue of unread paper books that will last me a good long time). Then I read a couple Kindle books, read a Kindle for iPad book, then an iBook, then a Kobo Book (all have their benefits).

Edit: Obviously if you can’t afford an iPad, this is all baloney. This opinion is just meant for those who *can* buy and iPad buy chose not to. Specifically people who are fanatic enough about AAPL to be reading this board regularly.

[ Edited: 02 March 2012 01:27 PM by jumar ]      

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:26 PM #41

omacvi - 02 March 2012 05:11 PM

Mace

You have a strange life.

Often at home, there is a land line, so mobile phone is of not much use.  When out, often with wife who has an iPhone, so I don’t need a mobile phone.

Signature

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:34 PM #42

I sold my laptop in anticipation of buying my iPad 2. I typically do a lot of work on my desktop anyway, so my laptop just sat there most of the time, and I always felt bothered to move it around and wait for it to turn on (even though I’d put it on hibernate or suspend). Whenever I’m downstairs in my house (desktop is upstairs), I pretty much have the iPad doing something like playing music or streaming videos from Netflix or my desktop. Definitely using it a lot more than I initially thought.

I’m about to go on a business trip for the first time without a personal laptop, which feels kind of weird. The iPad is filling it’s place, and I’ve got a nice Bluetooth keyboard to go along with it if I really need to do some programming work on a remote server. Down the line, I’m picking up some iPhones once the new one comes out or my Verizon contract hits the end of another 2 years (whatever comes later).

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:37 PM #43

Mace - 02 March 2012 05:26 PM
    omacvi - 02 March 2012 05:11 PM

Mace

You have a strange life.

Often at home, there is a land line, so mobile phone is of not much use.  When out, often with wife who has an iPhone, so I don’t need a mobile phone.

People still have landlines?  tongue laugh

• Posted: 02 March 2012 02:10 PM #44

Once you’re in, skip a generation each new announcement to get more for your money than “I GOTTA HAVE EVERYTHING YESTERDAY” adopters…. iPad 4 and iPhone 5…..are my next revs… We’ll see,

Posted: 02 March 2012 03:20 PM #45

Says who Winski?  With iPhone resales I can basically eliminate the early upgrade fee each year.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.