Poll:  Will you buy an iPad 3?

• Posted: 02 March 2012 03:25 PM #46

Um…. I have no interest for one for myself, but my Sister-in-law’s birthday is coming up and she said she wanted an iPad, so I might just buy her the iPad 3 for her birthday.

But other than that, it holds no interest for me. And I live my life in technology.

Posted: 02 March 2012 03:46 PM #47

I’ll be replacing our perfectly good iPad2 with two iPad3’s.  We use it for so much now that my wife needs one too.

Hauling around two iPad’s is going to be a little heavy for a bag, so I just picked up this compact backpack for the purpose.  It will also serve well for short trips, like the upcoming Apple Investor Summit.

Image Attachments

pTUMI1-12070075v194.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

• Posted: 02 March 2012 03:56 PM #48

My trusty origInal iPad is starting to feel the strain of some of the latest app updates. As with my iPhone I will upgrade on a 2 year cycle. The iPad I’m typing this on will be used by my 8 year old daughter, no doubt for a good length of time to come. She has my 1st gen iPod touch in her room on a dock for music and loves the visual convenience of selecting her bedtime music. These devices have a lot of life after us geeks move on to the next best thing.

• Posted: 02 March 2012 04:00 PM #49

Won’t buy one. I have never been a fan of the iPad. Too big to be easily portable (like my iPhone) and too underpowered to be used like a laptop.
    I brought home a work owned iPad2 for a week, and after the weekend, brought it back. Even my 8yo son wasn’t a fan of it. Said it was too big for his hands and made it hard to use.
    It’s niche piece of equipment. Luckily, Apple owns that niche…

• Posted: 02 March 2012 04:29 PM #50

serogers1970 - 02 March 2012 08:00 PM

Won’t buy one. I have never been a fan of the iPad. Too big to be easily portable (like my iPhone) and too underpowered to be used like a laptop.
    I brought home a work owned iPad2 for a week, and after the weekend, brought it back. Even my 8yo son wasn’t a fan of it. Said it was too big for his hands and made it hard to use.

My daughter was fluent with the iPad at the age of one and a half. Maybe you just needed a more tactile enclosure.

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:06 PM #51

serogers1970 - 02 March 2012 08:00 PM

Troll attempt fail.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:10 PM #52

Anyone else find it odd that two posts in a row are from folks who joined in 2010 but have only 1 post each?

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:11 PM #53

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/ipad-3-buying-predictions/

30% of surveyed people who were mobile web users indicated they will buy the iPad 3, half of whom are not current tablet owners.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 02 March 2012 09:39 PM #54

Keep it topical, guys:

Count me as an iPad 3 buyer, of course wink.  Looking forward to seeing what the iPad fuss is all about.

Particularly for the first-time buyers, to 3G/4G or…well, not?  I was always a little less than amused by that $129 3G premium (which the competition for some strange reason only seemed to be able to undercut by around $30 in most cases…hmm).  Now, I don’t care - the tablet revolution pretty much cries out for on-demand data and even if we somehow miss LTE this rev (which I doubt), I needs me my no-contract cellular data.

Thinking about “switching carriers” if opting for data?  To who, and if not, are you holding out hope for data pool/connection sharing with your smartphone plan?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 02 March 2012 11:03 PM #55

I can’t think of a good reason to buy the 3G model, as I have an iPhone 4s with a tethering plan that is less money per GB than the 3G plan. 

Am I missing a benefit of having 3G on board?

• Posted: 03 March 2012 12:17 AM #56

Will be ordering one as soon as available.

Our situation:

1) My iPad2 - will go to my mum (who developed iPad2 envy when mine arrived)
    2) Mum’s iPad1 - to go to my son
    3) My original iPad1 - spouse still in possession and loving it

Expecting one of the above to get serious iPad3 envy and have to spring for a second iPad3.

My iPad has become my primary tool for field work, meetings and conferences where I am not presenting (in which case the MBP is in tow). Expecting a more capable iPad3 to continue this trend.

One area of my routine the iPad is yet to enter is patient care, in which my iPhone remains the primary tool. Curious.

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 03 March 2012 12:31 AM #57

Mercel - 03 March 2012 03:03 AM

I can’t think of a good reason to buy the 3G model, as I have an iPhone 4s with a tethering plan that is less money per GB than the 3G plan. 

Am I missing a benefit of having 3G on board?

I?m in your model Mercel. I stopped paying for the 3G plan with my iPad1 once the personal hotspot became available (free on my carrier). For my soon to be purchased iPad 3, I?ll save the $130. I was hoping to use that to get a 128GB version, but if true today?s rumour quashed my hopes for that option.

Posted: 03 March 2012 01:20 AM #58

I’m on AT&T.  What’s your plan, guys?  I could get by on 3GB + tethering but you can’t do that, it’s $50/mo for 5GB + tethering.  Without LTE I will never use close to 5GB/mo.  That and tethering, I’m sure, KILLS the poor iPhone’s battery (and let’s face it, the 4S lasts maybe 90% as long as the 4 because of its sheer power).

Also, what iPad 3G plans are out there right now?  $20-$25/mo?  If LTE is in the same price band, I don’t see a big deal with paying separately for a month’s use when needed.  Heck, even $30/mo.  I get on-demand access to (hopefully) LTE without any commitment.  Beats the heck out of comparatively insecure/expensive third-party Wi-Fi when traveling.  (For better or worse, I use carrier cellular data for all kinds of authenticated sessions without a second thought, no problems so far.)

I will admit, the higher “AAPL dividend” yield than anticipated makes me “throw caution into the wind” on price.  64GB iPad 3 + cellular?  Hey, it’s enlightened shareholder self-interest!  And resale should still be terrific when the iPad 4 or even 5 rolls around.

[ Edited: 03 March 2012 01:34 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.