Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?

Poll: Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?
Total Votes: 124
Yes. I Pre-ordered the new iPad.
I will when I can finally get through!
I’m waiting to buy the new iPad in person.
I’m buying an iPad 2 at the new, lower price.
No. I do not plan to buy the new iPad.
  • Posted: 08 March 2012 02:28 AM

The new iPad’s been available for pre-order and scheduled delivery on March 16th since today’s special event.  Ordering through the Apple website was apparently a challenge earlier today due to heavy demand.

Have you pre-ordered the new iPad? Please respond in this topic’s poll.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 02:32 AM #1

I had a long day at work. Ordering the new iPad was the first planned task upon my arrival back at home. Only a short traffic delay at signing in to my Apple account during the order completion process.

I’ve been waiting on the release of this device for months and had socked away the funds long before today’s product announcement and pre-order opportunity.

Posted: 08 March 2012 03:02 AM #2

Yep, pre-ordered my first tablet (yes, it was a pain earlier in the day), and what a tablet it should be!

Luckily for me, recent AAPL appreciation made it much easier for me to justify my AAPL dividend/enlightened shareholder self-interest.

Retina Display?  Check.

Faster enough?  Let’s just call it a check for now (leap of faith).

LTE?  Heck yes check! 

And so an 64GB iPad + 4G LTE Vz edition it was (you’re welcome, AAPL longs including myself LOL)!  Given the no-contract data I figured I’d give Verizon’s LTE and 3G fallback network some real-world testing.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 03:13 AM #3

Mav - 08 March 2012 07:02 AM

And so an 64GB iPad + 4G LTE Vz edition it was (you’re welcome, AAPL longs including myself LOL)!  Given the no-contract data I figured I’d give Verizon’s LTE and 3G fallback network some real-world testing.

You waited long enough for this device. It looks like you ordered with gusto! On behalf of all shareholders, we appreciate the margin on this purchase.  LOL

Did you add AppleCare+ to the order? If you use your new iPad the way I’ve used mine, it’s a worthwhile investment for the coverage provided.

Posted: 08 March 2012 03:17 AM #4

(Way to “haze” the guy who jumped from a Nokia $0 candybar to four out of five iPhones! raspberry)

Ah, but I think I picked the perfect time to jump in.

AppleCare+?  Thinking about it.  Certainly would help margins, heh.  wink  What’s your use case Robert?  On the road?  Do you use a case/sleeve and screen protector?  Will you buy it for yourself?  Heck, how many drops?  Accidentally flung my phone to the floor today (no damage, it’s got a Speck HD case)...must’ve been partly due to iPad new excitement. LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 03:40 AM #5

Mav - 08 March 2012 07:17 AM

(Way to “haze” the guy who jumped from a Nokia $0 candybar to four out of five iPhones! raspberry)

Haze? You’re the one who has trumpeted the fact you had yet to buy an iPad and was waiting specifically for the new model.

On AppleCare+, it’s total replacement in the event of damage. The $20 more than regular AppleCare (which I don’t think it’s offered on pre-orders for this device) is a very inexpensive form of damage insurance. I say spring for it at or around purchase. I don’t know how long after purchase it will be available

On uses:From OmniFocus for work productivity, to my constant use of the device as my primary news reader, there’s nothing better. Keynote, Numbers and Pages all work very well on the iPad. With iCloud, my iPhone has become a “pocket iPad” for productivity, contact management and work flow.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 03:42 AM #6

I sprang for the 32GB model. I’m putting the other $100 aside (instead of the 64GB model) toward a MacBook Air after the next model refresh.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 03:46 AM #7

Mav:

Please let me know what you decide on a case.  I’m curious. I like the Apple case I purchased with the original iPad. I did not order a case on pre-order of the new iPad to give more time to review selections.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 03:56 AM #8

I just received my email confirmation. I’m was getting a bit concerned. I had the web order#, but was waiting on the email confirmation. The March 16th delivery date is listed on the email.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:08 AM #9

I’ll be ordering the 64Gb with 4G as soon as its available to order here in NZ in a week or two.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:14 AM #10

Trumpeting?  I don’t remember it that way.

Has your iPad suffered drops?  I’m conflicted about case options.  Surprisingly several I’m looking at rely too much on “fastening tabs” that can fray their covering too easily down to bare metal (great for scratches), or they use overly cheap elastic to restrain the iPad (great for your iPad someday slipping thru the cracks).  Smart Cover greatly annoys because the same microfiber that cleans the screen always faces down.  That’s a glaring design error to me.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 04:18 AM #11

DawnTreader - 08 March 2012 07:46 AM

Mav:

Please let me know what you decide on a case.  I’m curious. I like the Apple case I purchased with the original iPad. I did not order a case on pre-order of the new iPad to give more time to review selections.

I’ve had two Dodocases. The first one was amazing for the iPad 1… it’s like a moleskine book, and feels very intimate when using the iPad. The iPad 2 model was a little bit of an imperfect fit at first, but it’s okay now.

Since those purchases new competitors have come up with similar designs. One of them has the smart magnets, and I might look at them this time around.

Or… if my Dodocase for iPad 2 fits the 3, I might just use that.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 04:22 AM #12

Burgess - 08 March 2012 08:08 AM

I’ll be ordering the 64Gb with 4G as soon as its available to order here in NZ in a week or two.

Excellent choice!

I didn’t go with the 64GB for the reason stated above. But with all of the media rich content that can be created with this device, the 64GB model is worth the investment.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:25 AM #13

Interesting!  Doesn’t have portrait stand support but it looks nice!  Thanks for the tip jumar.  The search continues…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:28 AM #14

I found that my iPhone 4S is getting surprisingly full (I have a 32GB).  Enough so that with a bigger canvas, bigger apps, a few games, movies I buy and media I actually take with the iPad, etc. that going for the max capacity seemed like the way to go. 

It really helps that iPad resale value is so strong.  I can _probably_ get $400 or more for this iPad even 2 years down the road, I’m hoping.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 04:29 AM #15

Mav - 08 March 2012 08:25 AM

Interesting!  Doesn’t have portrait stand support but it looks nice!  Thanks for the tip jumar.  The search continues…

No, it doesn’t stand on an angle in portrait mode (although it’s grippy enough to lean it against something), but there aren’t a lot of cases that do that. It stands up really well in landscape mode though (for watching movies, etc), or at slight gentle angle for typing if you lay it flat. I like that it’s discrete.