Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?

Poll: Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?
Total Votes: 124
Yes. I Pre-ordered the new iPad.
I will when I can finally get through!
I’m waiting to buy the new iPad in person.
I’m buying an iPad 2 at the new, lower price.
No. I do not plan to buy the new iPad.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:43 AM #16

I also like that it’s made right here in the USA.  smile

It’s definitely made my list of cases to give further consideration.  How’s “latch security”, port access, snugness of fit (iPad 3 is a little thicker, after all), and the materials used to hold the top and bottom of the iPad in place?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 04:47 AM #17

For those wondering about how much capacity iPad to purchase, I just bought a Seagate GoFlex Wireless portable hard drive today (500Gb) which has an integrated wifi access point and lithium ion battery (claims 5 hour run time on battery power). After a little of downloading of drivers, updating firmware, etc., I got it up and running and it is an excellent portable media storage device that can hold all my videos that I traditionally have to reformat and load into iTunes to get onto my iPad. Now, I have 500 Gb of portable battery powered wireless storage for my video library (also does photos and docs, and you can mount it via any web browser such as on a laptop or IOS- wirelessly). There is a free Seagate GoFlex native app that you can load onto your IOS device in addition to the web browser access but you must first select the GoFlex’s own wifi network (meaning you lose your existing WiFi connection), but it is simple to use and streams video effortlessly. It can stream separate videos to up to three devices concurrently.

Cost of Seagate GoFlex wireless drive is about $200. Comes with USB3/USB 2 cable, small power brick, and car charger adapter. Not bad.

So far I am very pleased with this and will use it as my portable video library for long trips in the car with my children (for their entertainment pleasure).

With this device, I would be more comfortable buying a smaller capacity IOS device knowing that the actual file storage for video would be handled on the GoFlex (which is much easier to load videos on than via iTunes on an IOS device).

Hope this helps.

PS - in the end, I opted for pre-ordering the 64Gb new iPad anyways, since I like the flexibility of loading lots of variety of apps, and there are times when it is not convenient to remember to carry along the GoFlex and I still want some significant storage space for videos.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:59 AM #18

The 64GB makes absolute sense if you are going to use the iPad for any movies, particularly if you plan on watching them in HD, or in something close to native resolution of 2048x1536 (note even sure what that is called at this point!) This will burn up a ton of space.

My 64gb ipad2 is probably 70% movies right now, and mostly full! You can tweak the settings in Handbrake to rip a smaller size and still look reasonably good, but I can’t wait to watch a full res Blu Ray rip on the new iPad!  I bet it will look amazing!

Signature

Jan13 $600 or BUST! LEAP Spread Trial: Bought Jan13 590/600 BCS @1.45 on 9-21-2011
    Max Profit: 689%  Current Price:
    4.50 +210% as of 5-2-2012 - Woohoo! Finally Green!

Posted: 08 March 2012 07:10 AM #19

Upgrading from a white 64GB AT&T 3G iPad 2. Now black 64GB AT&T 4G iPad ordered yesterday. The new display and faster processor was a deal breaker.

Posted: 08 March 2012 08:04 AM #20

I just hit “Order”.

64GB/LTE white “new” iPad to replace “original” 32 GB/3G black iPad. Picked up the Apple TV and a smart cover too.

Posted: 08 March 2012 08:36 AM #21

I ordered two iPads: 32GB 4G and a 16GB WiFi (which I’ll use tethered to my iPhone 4S). I also ordered the new Apple TV.

Like DT, I’m eagerly awaiting the Air/MBP updates and will be purchasing one/more of those soon!

cheers to the longs
          JohnG

Posted: 08 March 2012 09:15 AM #22

I ordered the white 64GB AT&T LTE, blue Smart Cover, Apple Care.

I was undecided on storage and carrier until the last few minutes. I have the original iPad and iPhone 4s in 16GB and wanted more for the higher res screen. I decided that if I was going to spend $100 for an extra 16GB I should spend another $100 for an additional 32GB. I then decided that with Spring and Summer coming up, I didn’t want to use such a great device only indoors with wi-fi only so I went with AT&T LTE. I’m in Manhattan and their signal is very problematic here, but I figure that’s indoors where I’ll usually be on wi-fi, and outdoor coverage is fine and faster than Verizon.

So in a matter of minutes I talked myself from $499 to $829. smile I’ll help cover the cost by changing my subscription for the NY Times from print to digital only. My son will get my hand-me-down iPad.

If you’re looking for cases, take a look at Waterfield Designs at sfbags.com. I have both an iPad case and iPhone sleeve from them, great quality and made in San Francisco.

I had to get AppleCare. I shattered the glass on my first iPad by dropping something on it. The Apple Store said they didn’t fix them but rather replaced with a new iPad for $329 (from $499). With iPad 2 right around the corner I decided instead to use a third party repair service for $159. They had to slice open the iPad and glue it back together. It works good with minor visual artifacts. But I dont want to leave my new iPad laying around my home without protection.

Signature

Sent from my beautiful new iPad. And yes, that’s a photo of an SE/30, my first Mac purchased in 1989.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 10:02 AM #23

ordered as soon as I got home, now I just need everyone else and their mothers to order as well so that my AAPL pays for it =P

Posted: 08 March 2012 11:09 AM #24

sorry if this question might be redundant but where is the best place to sell an old iPhone / iPad?  E-Bay??  Anything is appreciated since I will just be keeping them around collecting dust.

Thanks!

• Posted: 08 March 2012 11:23 AM #25

I sold my 1st generation on amazon in 2 days, about a week ago.  16 GB 3G for $320.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 11:26 AM #26

CdnPhoto - 08 March 2012 12:04 PM

I just hit “Order”.

64GB/LTE white “new” iPad to replace “original” 32 GB/3G black iPad. Picked up the Apple TV and a smart cover too.

You really did some shopping! I’m pleasantly surprised by the number of 64GB models being ordered by AFB members.

• Posted: 08 March 2012 11:33 AM #27

double rainbow - 08 March 2012 03:09 PM

sorry if this question might be redundant but where is the best place to sell an old iPhone / iPad?  E-Bay??  Anything is appreciated since I will just be keeping them around collecting dust.

Thanks!

craigslist

Posted: 08 March 2012 11:34 AM #28

Mav - 08 March 2012 08:28 AM

I found that my iPhone 4S is getting surprisingly full (I have a 32GB).  Enough so that with a bigger canvas, bigger apps, a few games, movies I buy and media I actually take with the iPad, etc. that going for the max capacity seemed like the way to go. 

It really helps that iPad resale value is so strong.  I can _probably_ get $400 or more for this iPad even 2 years down the road, I’m hoping.

The same issue. I have run out of space in both my iPad 2 and 4S and had to dump a lot of music and videos out.

This time I decided for the bigger model.  I will be doing more video and SLR picture editing on the iPad.  I need as much memory as possible.

I can hardly wait to start editing videos with the new iMovie.  Those trailers are very cool.

I will have my new iPad ready for my ski trip and will have a blast making new home videos to show my family and friends.

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:36 PM #29

I ordered a refurbished iPad 2 last night for the new lower price of $350.

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:54 PM #30

double rainbow - 08 March 2012 03:09 PM

Thanks!

Gazelle.com is popular. I haven’t used it but I check prices there. You can probably sell for a little more elsewhere but gazelle might be a little more reliable.

Signature

Sent from my beautiful new iPad. And yes, that’s a photo of an SE/30, my first Mac purchased in 1989.