Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?

Poll: Have You Pre-Ordered The new iPad?
Total Votes: 124
Yes. I Pre-ordered the new iPad.
I will when I can finally get through!
I’m waiting to buy the new iPad in person.
I’m buying an iPad 2 at the new, lower price.
No. I do not plan to buy the new iPad.
  • Posted: 08 March 2012 01:00 PM #31

I couldn’t get thru to AT&T to see if my unlimited data plan will rollover to 4G, and also have no clue whether they or Verizon has the best coverage, so I ordered 64GB models of each (black) and will sort it out, hopefully, by the time they arrive.  It’ll be easy enough to return one of them before the credit card bill is due.

I wonder if, with AT&T’s data throttling, my current iPad2 64GB can still sell at a premium if I include the Unlimited Data Plan with it.

Update: AT&T data plan transfers, no issue. Their 4G coverage is currently much less than Verizon’s. It all depends on where one lives, anyway…. and that’s in flux with me. I’ll probably stick with AT&T just to keep the unlimited data plan (although I barely scratch the surface of it’s usability), if for no other reason than I’ve found that their customer service is so much better than Verizon’s.

[ Edited: 08 March 2012 01:52 PM by Statistically Insignificant ]      

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:03 PM #32

A contrarian voice here.
    I won’t getting a new iPad. I have a WiFi-Only iPad2 that runs great and does everything I want. I AM happy to see the iPad2 on sale. It tells me that my iPad2 is still worth ~$400 which is amazingly low depreciation for a consumer electronics device.

FWIW MacLife had an excellent article called
    Should I buy a New iPad? Or an iPad2?
    http://www.maclife.com/article/blogs/should_i_buy_new_ipad_or_ipad_2

It lays out very clearly what the benefits of the iPad3 are. If I were buying today I think I’d be seriously leaning toward going with the iPad2. It’s a great little machine at a dynamite price.

[ Edited: 08 March 2012 01:13 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:10 PM #33

geoduck - 08 March 2012 05:03 PM

A contrarian voice here.
    I won’t getting a new iPad. I have an iPad2 that runs great and does everything I want. I AM happy to see the iPad2 on sale. It tells me that my iPad2 is still worth ~$400 which is amazingly low depreciation for a consumer electronics device.

FWIW MacLife had an excellent article called
    Should I buy a New iPad? Or an iPad2?
    http://www.maclife.com/article/blogs/should_i_buy_new_ipad_or_ipad_2

It lays out very clearly what the benefits of the iPad3 are. If I were buying today I think I’d be seriously leaning toward going with the iPad2. It’s a great little machine at a dynamite price.

I agree for first time buyers on a budget who may not understand the graphics and retina advantage.

To me another compelling reason is dictation.  That will be huge for AFB posting and email .smile

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:15 PM #34

omacvi - 08 March 2012 05:10 PM

To me another compelling reason is dictation.

Dictation?

Signature

• Posted: 08 March 2012 01:23 PM #35

A contrarian voice here.
    I won’t getting a new iPad. I have a WiFi-Only iPad2 that runs great and does everything I want. I AM happy to see the iPad2 on sale. It tells me that my iPad2 is still worth ~$400 which is amazingly low depreciation for a consumer electronics device.

I don’t see this as a contrarian voice. iPad 2 owners have use of an excellent device that is holding its value and continues to perform well.

I’m stepping up from the original and for those who have yet to purchase an iPad, this is wonderful “port of entry” to the iPad world.

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:24 PM #36

geoduck - 08 March 2012 05:15 PM
    omacvi - 08 March 2012 05:10 PM

To me another compelling reason is dictation.

Dictation?

Yes.  You can talk to it and dictate your emails and all typing.

Only the new iPad has that.  Also I think we will see them turn on Siri this summer.

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:42 PM #37

omacvi - 08 March 2012 05:24 PM

Yes.  You can talk to it and dictate your emails and all typing.

I missed that announcement.
    That is cool.

Signature

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:59 PM #38

A contrarian voice here.

Unless you’re on a tight budget, another perspective is you should sell your iPad 2 while the resale value is good and buy the new iPad.

Thinking aloud:  Calling the latest model the new iPad could mean that there won’t be a previous model for sale next year.  Apple doesn’t sell previous model of iMac, MBA and Mac Pro.  Could be pathing the way for the rumored 7.85” iPad mini @$399 next year.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 08 March 2012 02:02 PM #39

Geo duck, the dictation technology is pretty cool. This was done via dictation

(Couple errors as you saw - but not bad!  I think the dictation tech backend is improving as they go as it should.)

Stat - welcome to AFB.  I like your approach! LOL  iPhone on AT&T has been borderline insufferable at times. This will be my opportunity to see whether Verizon is the network worth switching to in the future.  (Hey, that last sentence dictated perfectly!)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 March 2012 12:18 AM #40

Just pulled the trigger on a Black 64Gb 4G (Verizon) and a Blue Smart Cover.

Decided on Verizon because they announced that they include tethering for free with the plan. Great move, Verizon!

Now I need to decide what to do with my first Gen… sell it or give it to a relative?

[ Edited: 09 March 2012 12:22 AM by dc930 ]      

Posted: 09 March 2012 12:21 AM #41

Verizon is both grinning (gaining possible future smartphone customers, getting more business from existing customers) and bracing (hope you’re ready for one heck of a network stress test).

Who needs a MiFi?  I got me an iPad for that! LOL

By the way I’m not entirely kidding.  Subsidized Verizon LTE MiFis require a 2-year contract and $50/5GB minimum monthly plans. 

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPlanList&continue=true

In a bizarre way, iPad as hotspot can save money!

[ Edited: 09 March 2012 12:26 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 March 2012 01:00 AM #42

dc930 - 09 March 2012 04:18 AM

Just pulled the trigger on a Black 64Gb 4G (Verizon) and a Blue Smart Cover.

Decided on Verizon because they announced that they include tethering for free with the plan. Great move, Verizon!

Now I need to decide what to do with my first Gen… sell it or give it to a relative?

Sell it to a relative…best of both worlds!

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 09 March 2012 01:05 AM #43

That’s…just not right.  LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 March 2012 02:46 AM #44

Mav - 09 March 2012 05:05 AM

That’s…just not right.  LOL

What? The black iPad with a blue cover? Each to his or her own tastes.  :wink:

On selling the iPad to a relative, RSE didn’t say it was a close relative!  LOL

Posted: 09 March 2012 02:54 AM #45

I’m paralyzed by all the options, data plans, etc. I hate that I can’t have one single data plan for my iPhone and (if I got an) iPad. I also hate that there are no more unlimited data plans, that just blows.

If I am torn, a pretty techie-oriented guy, I’d imagine all the different options might be confusing for a lot of purchasers.

Not sure if I should get an iPad or a MBA…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007