New iPad Central:  Member Reviews, Comments, App/Accessory Recommendations, etc.

Posted: 15 March 2012 05:26 PM #16

Other ideas to get this thread going:  For iPad owners, when you first setup in iTunes, is there a way to basically use your iPhone as a “profile” or a device backup to clone everything over?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 March 2012 05:41 PM #17

Oh, iFixit:  http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3-4G-Teardown/8277/1

? Just like its predecessor, the new iPad is very difficult to disassemble. Adhesive secures the glass to the case, making common repairs and battery replacement difficult.

? Apple’s estimated to ship 1 million units on launch day, and the environmental impact of this unfortunate design choice will be significant.

? We’ve written extensively about the problems with Apple’s difficult-to-repair iPad design over on iFixit.org:

Psst - your agenda is showing.  wink  Guys, I visit for the teardowns, not the “repair politics.”  What the heck do you want for $499?  A button that does an automatic teardown?  rolleyes 

And where have you been since the G3 tower that cut people and the G5 handles that (shock and horror!) you may need gloves or a couple hand towels for to protect your hands?  Get the memo:  Apple does not give a damn, hackability has never been high on its list of priorities, you won’t change anything, get used to it.

Environmental impact, huh?  Resold and even broken/nonfunctioning iPads being turned into recyclers or sold on eBay - for CASH!  Yes, any number of companies take in unloved iPads, even Apple!

So…what environmental impact?  Glue sniffing?  iPads thrown in landfills?

Gimme a break and get back to using that heat gun, dammit.  THE PEOPLE DEMAND COMPONENTRY SERIAL NUMBERS!

LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 March 2012 06:48 PM #18

Mav - 15 March 2012 08:26 PM

Other ideas to get this thread going:  For iPad owners, when you first setup in iTunes, is there a way to basically use your iPhone as a “profile” or a device backup to clone everything over?

I believe, yes in terms of apps downloaded, but probably no in terms of data.

My iPod was able to use apps from the iPhone and iPad.  However, I don’t recall if this included data as most of my apps don’t store data.

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:06 PM #19

Some more teardown info.

Note that this unit was built in the first week of January….so, truly some stockpiling could have occured of enormous amounts.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/15/first-teardown-of-new-ipad-underway/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:45 PM #20

Chipworks has started their review of iPad subcomponents, more to follow.

Posted: 15 March 2012 09:17 PM #21

This also all but ensures Qualcomm LTE 4G in the upcoming iPhone 5.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-3-4G-Teardown/8277/3

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 15 March 2012 09:20 PM #22

pats, I forget.  Is MDM 9600 an acceptable solution for a smartphone-type device?

I also wonder how Apple can fit a, I dunno, 30-50% bigger battery in an iPhone (presumably a bigger boost won’t be needed because the Retina Display will stay the same).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 March 2012 10:30 PM #23

My crystal film screen protector arrived.  My impressions to follow.  I’m quite sure I’ll have air bubbles and dust trapped underneath - I already live with that on my iPhone and I consider it a small price to pay to protect the screen.

All that’s left is the iPad smile  Now why isn’t it showing as in transit yet FedEx? mad

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 March 2012 06:23 PM #24

iPads are arriving!  Don’t be shy about posting here about your individual experiences, recommendations, etc.

This should very soon be a very informative resource for iPad owners or those intending to buy.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 March 2012 07:02 PM #25

I love this screen.  :drool: And also I love the fact that I can dictate everything I want to say especially here at AFB:)

Posted: 16 March 2012 07:03 PM #26

Better than the 4S?  The 4S is uneven at dictation for me.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 March 2012 07:05 PM #27

Mav - 16 March 2012 10:03 PM

Better than the 4S?  The 4S is uneven at dictation for me.

So far it appears as if it’s much faster. And it is much more accurate. I believe it’s probably because it does not need the Internet. But I’m not sure of that.  Those sentences were dictated in about 3 to 10 seconds.smile

Posted: 16 March 2012 07:05 PM #28

Dictation requires the Internet on iPad last I heard.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:02 PM #29

Posting from new iPad. This thing gets warm. I didn’t really get the wow factor on first look. Then I put safari side by side with iPad 1. No going back. Burns through 20% battery in an hour. I’ll start optimizing. Tomorrow.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:05 PM #30

20% battery life in an hour?  On the new iPad?  Over Wi-Fi or LTE?

I have a pretty battery-intensive stress test I run on my iPhone every morning (it’s called streaming quotes LOL)  I’ll need to do some more rigorous testing next Monday.  Heck, I can tell you guys live :D

Can’t wait to be able to switch entire programs without that double-click thing every single time…

[ Edited: 16 March 2012 08:07 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.