New iPad Central:  Member Reviews, Comments, App/Accessory Recommendations, etc.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:19 PM #31

Dictation is awesome!!!!!

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 16 March 2012 08:20 PM #32

The new iPad didn’t come with retina HD wallpapers. Here are the first ones

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=Michael+toye+hd&m=text

Enjoy!

[ Edited: 16 March 2012 08:25 PM by Iceage ]      
  • Posted: 16 March 2012 08:26 PM #33

Hey you guys, keep the comments and reviews coming. Mine doesn’t ship until Monday, so reading about it is the next best thing to having one.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:45 PM #34

Ok I played with it a little more and then did side by side comparison with the iPad 2. 

The screen is slightly more tinted and the sharpness really stands out in the pictures and video.

It is subtle at times but still noticeable.  I do need to test it out without my contacts.

It slightly heavier but partially because it has double the ram.

Speed wise I don’t notice a difference, but I think one needs to do some video editing to do so.

Posted: 17 March 2012 12:15 AM #35

The screen is great and the speed compared to iPad 1 is smooth.  Although heavier then iPad 2 it is lighter then iPad 1.  Haven’t tried much yet.  Text is outstanding and photos look great.  I flipped through an issue of popular science.  Sweet.  This is the kind of display you need to do illustrative text right.  Overall has a nice feel.  No complaints.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 12:53 AM #36

Can you really feel the weight?  I can’t.  Thicker?  Can’t feel that either. 

I think some of you are under Uncle Walt’s hypnosis.

Posted: 17 March 2012 01:02 AM #37

Lucky for me I’ve never owned an iPad!  So I’ll just tell you if I think it’s heavy or not.  :D

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 01:05 AM #38

macglenn - 16 March 2012 11:19 PM

Dictation is awesome!!!!!

My wife and I picked our preordered NEW iPad up at the Valley Fair Apple Store in Santa Clara, Ca. We waited until the initial crush was over which, according to one of the sales people, took about 2 hours to clear. The store was very busy when we got there around noon. The screen, as reviewed and as commented on by other forum members is, of course, amazing. The Dictation I’m sure will be very convenient and even awesome when I get to try it out. But before the sales guy had a chance to demo it using the Notes application, a message popped up just after he clicked the microphone icon.  I’m attaching a screen shot of the message that I took immediately in the store. I’m not taking the message to heart and am instead going to assume it was the very loud background noise in the store that confused the dictation function. Yes, I’m almost positive that was the cause…

Posted: 17 March 2012 01:08 AM #39

[deleted]

[still prepping iPad]

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 01:11 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:22 AM #40

Sigh.

I do have some first impressions of the unboxing process and little things I noticed (and kind of wish I didn’t, relating to slight-but-previously-unseen-in-other-iPhones fit and finish issues - nothing major, only an iPhone 1/3G/4/4S buyer like me would ever notice).

But the singular thing bugging me the most, as I was about to set this iPad up, is this very tiny, unnoticeable except when you hold it to the light a certain way, slightest of imperfections in the iPad screen.

A tiny, tiny chip.

I microfiber’d it and gently dust-sticker removed at it (I’m a pro at this, and Apple glass ain’t no lightweight anyway) for a while and I’ve concluded that it is a glass imperfection, however minor.  Think of it like a tiny grain of sand on your screen, except “embedded” and you can’t get rid of it.

Wish I hadn’t seen it.  But I sure as heck can’t ignore it.

And I have to Genius Bar this (setting up an appointment as I type)?  I was just installing my screen protector and everything (which also cost me about $30, and isn’t something you can just “put back”)!  Man, this is a letdown.

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 07:02 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:32 AM #41

By the way, I guess I’m a pixel snob or something now.  While the iPad’s display is fabulous, it’s also “expected” to my eyes.  It meets the (very high) standard.  Then again, maybe that’s because of all my time with the previous, higher-PPI Retina Displays on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 07:18 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 08:12 AM #42

I upgraded from the original iPad. The new one is a major improvement. It is much faster and smoother scrolling. And, as everyone else has said, the screen is very impressive. Photos are sharper and the color is better. I have probably spent 6 or 7 hours on it and the battery seems to last about the same. It does get warmer. If holding it in portrait view, it is warm on the lower left side.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 05:04 PM #43

The new iPad is equipped with a battery nearly twice as powerful as that installed in the iPad 2, yet gets no more battery life. Is there a silver lining in this?  I think so.

LTE/4G chip sets, in their initial incarnations, are battery hogs. Granted the retina display is going to be a power user as well, but as LTE/4G chip set designs improve, won’t their power demands decrease?

The off shoot of this possibility is much longer battery life on future iterations of the iPad.

This will be especially troubling for competing products as they won’t have affordable access to retina displays for another 2 years, will never have access to Apple’s “A” series of processors, or battery technology. So, in the future, battery life performance is going to out distance the competition, at the same time the iPad outperforms the field in overall functionality, in ways the consumer can see and understand.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 05:34 PM #44

Gregg Thurman - 17 March 2012 08:04 PM

The new iPad is equipped with a battery nearly twice as powerful as that installed in the iPad 2, yet gets no more battery life. Is there a silver lining in this?  I think so.

LTE/4G chip sets, in their initial incarnations, are battery hogs. Granted the retina display is going to be a power user as well, but as LTE/4G chip set designs improve, won’t their power demands decrease?

The off shoot of this possibility is much longer battery life on future iterations of the iPad.

This will be especially troubling for competing products as they won’t have affordable access to retina displays for another 2 years, will never have access to Apple’s “A” series of processors, or battery technology. So, in the future, battery life performance is going to out distance the competition, at the same time the iPad outperforms the field in overall functionality, in ways the consumer can see and understand.

Battery life is #1 on my list of differentiating variables for all my mobile products. I don’t care if it’s pretty and the best overall product if I can use another product that’s close to as good with a battery that lasts materially longer. Apple benefits from having the best products that also have the best battery life.

Posted: 17 March 2012 05:40 PM #45

In this regard the 4S is a minor disappointment.  But because my typical use life is in between the 3G (blah) and the 4 (pretty good), I don’t find it too big a deal.

And with my iPad, I hope to ease the strain on my iPhone.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.