New iPad Central:  Member Reviews, Comments, App/Accessory Recommendations, etc.

Posted: 17 March 2012 05:43 PM #46

I agree. 

I read that Apple has patent battery technology that have tested 1 month of power before recharge for a cell phone in the lab.

What I notices is that the iPad battery takes much longer to charge.  But still gives similar lifespan as previous iPad 2.  I also noticed a heavier feel.  I suspect the.battery is responsible for that extra weight.

Just like Siri, I think Apple is only giving us a small capability in battery performance.  The market and consumers are OK with 10 hours.  When the others get close to cAtching up, I think they will add 50% in 2 years.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 06:26 PM #47

At first pass I am having good feelings about the iPad’s battery life. Mine arrived with 86% battery life and I have only drained 40% with about 6-8 hours of use which is much better than their advertised 10 hour for wifi.. Of course I am comparing it to my original iPad and not the iPad 2. I believe it will be much better than what I am used to. I have not used the 4G so that may be one reason it seems to be performing better than I expected. Apple had claimed 9 hours on cellular and I think I will achieve that with mine. Could it be that the wifi only models have a smaller battery? I read an article that speculated about that and maybe that is why my 4G model has performed so well on wifi only so far.

The 4S has been slightly disappointing on battery life.

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:49 PM #48

The battery really takes a long time to charge.  I had it plugged in at 62% and 2 hours later it was at 79%.  It was sitting idle that whole time.

By the way this screen is just amazing.

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:53 PM #49

I think future iPads will keep the 10 hour battery life on Wifi.  It’s a nice round number, perfect for a day’s work and then some, and is easy to remember and easy to market.  iPads are already the benchmark for battery life longevity; I don’t think extending it past 10 hours would give a significantly better user experience.

With better battery technology on future iPads, I suspect Apple will use the additional watt-hours to power new technologies that makes for an even better user experience, while keeping the 10 hour battery life.  Think of future iPads with Senseg technology (you can feel different textures on the touchscreen), 3D viewing at any angle without requiring glasses, Lytro cameras, speakers using the entire screen as a speaker outputting significantly louder sound, and more.

Signature

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    —Jack Layton

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:54 PM #50

Got my replacement iPad after proving to an Apple Genius or Concierge that yes, there was a small chip in my iPad’s screen.  Encouraging that they had a warranty replacement iPad of my type already ready to go.

Setting up iPad now.  Small miracle, despite the dust and the repeated replacements and moving the screen protector from my “old” new iPad to my “new” new iPad rolleyes, my Steinheil SQ Crystal screen protector looks to be holding up quite well…so far.  (More on that as I torture test it with my tight-fitting Marware Ecovue 2 case - not recommended until cases with a better fit come out - unless you’re like me and you had to have your iPad protected from day one LOL)

My God, is it REALLY this hard to put in a charge/sync cable?  Or does the iPad have a thinner one?  It’s 5-10 times easier with iPhones.

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 07:35 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 07:11 PM #51

omacvi - 17 March 2012 08:43 PM

I agree. 

I read that Apple has patent battery technology that have tested 1 month of power before recharge for a cell phone in the lab….

....When the others get close to cAtching up, I think they will add 50% in 2 years.

The patent technology was for fuel cells of irregular shape. The irregular shape allows batteries to be designed to fill empty spaces within a case. What is needed to make the patent possible in a small format is a material to enclose the fuel cell (light, strong, supremely corrosion resistant). Enter Liquid Metal.  Apple has a paid up exclusive license for that technology in the consumer electronics sector.

If Apple introduces this technology within 2 years the improvement in battery life will be exponential (days vs hours).

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 17 March 2012 09:12 PM #52

Hey guys, up and running on the new iPad!

Lots of impressions to follow as I get more used to this device.

Didn’t like that all my folders went poof.  Oh well, I didn’t need a few dozen of those apps anyway.

I will say that as more of a power user, the device is not a giant leap in performance compared to my iPhone 4S though the delta in performance is noticeable.  I can make it stutter a little bit without much trouble.  Should still be more than enough power for most anyone.

Typing is a pretty OK experience as long as you have both hands free raspberry

Ah…multitouch gestures.  Where have you been the past year or so?

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 09:18 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 09:19 PM #53

Not preactivated for Vz, huh.  Well, I’ll make the phone call, but I didn’t think that I had to do that…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 10:25 PM #54

The Web screams on the new iPad.  Much faster on iPad than on my 4S despite the new display.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 10:49 PM #55

Sigh.  A new problem emerges.  Can’t seem to activate my iPad for some reason.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 March 2012 10:55 PM #56

One simple but appreciated advantage….....zooming in on charts on the Apple Chart Talk thread is so much clearer…..I can read Lovey’s notes without squinting.    :wink:

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 17 March 2012 11:01 PM #57

Red Shirted Ensign - 18 March 2012 01:55 AM

One simple but appreciated advantage….....zooming in on charts on the Apple Chart Talk thread is so much clearer…..I can read Lovey’s notes without squinting.    :wink:

Agreed

I have awfull vision without contacts.  This screen is just amazing.  I can’t say enough.  It’s like my vision has been cured.smile

I also noticed that an App this optimized for the retina screen is even sharper.  It is easier to read Pandora then an iBook.

I now hope publishers will start to release books and upgrade existing ones to take advantage of this screen.

Posted: 17 March 2012 11:13 PM #58

As a go-anywhere, Internet in your hand device, the iPad does seem to do quite well.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 March 2012 11:27 PM #59

Mav - 18 March 2012 02:13 AM

As a go-anywhere, Internet in your hand device, the iPad does seem to do quite well.

Ours has since November of 2010.  It is wonderful, the best portable computer I have ever carried with me

Posted: 17 March 2012 11:53 PM #60

It gets better.  My LTE is borked and I can’t even get the cellular data activated.

Seems the senior AppleCare advisors might want this _second_ iPad of mine as a specimen of an early model gone wrong.  Still on hold…

Well, at least I have an iPad backup ready to go when I finally get an iPad with both (1) a good screen and (2) working LTE.  As a shareholder, I really hope I’m the only one with all these issues (AppleCare guys tell me complaint levels have been fairly mellow). :/

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.