New iPad Central:  Member Reviews, Comments, App/Accessory Recommendations, etc.

Posted: 18 March 2012 12:00 AM #61

Robert has “the iPad Chronicles.”

I have “the iPad Repair Chronicles.” LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 March 2012 12:23 AM #62

I just have writtten a somewhat lengthy reply about my new iPad and the German G4 frequencies when I accidentially touched a wrong part of my screen and everything vanished! :(
    Sad to have to say this, but AFB really sucks when you want to use it from an iPhone!
    And as I am a really very lazy writer, this lost post will never see again the light of day. But I do not think that this will be a great loss wink

Posted: 18 March 2012 01:06 AM #63

So!  The advisor and I narrowed it down to the radio set.  It’s taking far, far too long to acquire signal even though my neighborhood’s listed by Verizon as being practically inundated in the regular ‘ol, no-asterisks, no-holds-barred LTE zone.  It gets to “3G” in a brisk…3-5 minutes? but even then not really because it won’t activate, and that has nothing to do with the SIM itself.

_Another_ trip to the (luckily fairly close) Apple Store to hopefully fix this, once and for all.  I put the service people on notice about my brave little $30-including-shipping screen protector, which may or may not survive one more tour of duty…

Needless to say I am not amused.

I should name this next one “iPad 3”.  Because it literally will be.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 March 2012 03:04 AM #64

I love zwipes for cleaning the screen. I also really like the New Trent leather case but it’s out of stock right now.

cheers
        JohnG

Posted: 18 March 2012 05:17 AM #65

Just wanted to add some more impressions (White 64Gb Verizon 4G):

- Before opening my new iPad, I clicked on “Backup to iCloud” on the old one.  After that was done, did a full restore from iCloud on the new one.  The downloading of all the apps again was a bit slow, but almost everything else worked seamlessly.  One app was being stubborn when re-downloading, so I had to delete it, so it would let the rest download.

- The screen is just insanely amazing.  Out of this world.  It looks better than printed glossy magazine paper.  And the old iPad now looks like 5-year old technology.  Also, easily 50% of the graphics/icons out on the internet will need a make-over, because most of them just look bad now.

- Compared to iPad2, the most obvious improvements are screen (see above) and LTE 4G speed.  I thought I wouldn’t care much for the additional speed, but today I tried it while in downtown Denver, and I was just amazed.  Everything is instant.  No waiting to load pages, full maps redrawing on Google Maps in less than a second.  I may have to add more data to the plan, because I’ll go through those 2Gb VERY fast.  We supposedly have full LTE 4G coverage here.  I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

- Charging takes much longer, roughly double what the old one took.  Also, I do notice the very slight weight increase, but it’s very small, and won’t matter if this is your first iPad.  I have to think about the increased thickness to “feel” it, otherwise, it’s non-existent.

- Definitely get a smart cover for it at least (I got a gray polyurethane one, looks really nice).  I’m still thinking about adding one of the screen protectors.  The screen is just so beautiful and responsive as it is, I’m afraid it’ll degrade the experience.  My iPhone 4S had a screen protector for a while, and it was good, but it had become a little scratched, so I removed it.  Wow.  No protector for me now.

Also, just as a side comment, I got the Zagg Solo keyboard for it.  I’m going to try and use it more as a computer with the optional Solo keyboard, and see how much it can replace my casual MBP usage.  For work, I definitely need a Mac (need to run Java, sometimes Windows inside a VM, etc), but for casual use, I’m pretty sure I’d be ok with the iPad 95% of the time (hopefully TDAmeritrade brings out a non-Java ToS client!)

Count me as a satisfied Apple customer smile

Posted: 18 March 2012 11:46 AM #66

I have passed my iPad 2 on to my bride and she is very happy with the weight differential from the iPad 1, which will soon be off to the grandkids.

For the past 48 hours I have been using iPhoto to clean up the 6,000 photos in the library.  I am absolutely stunned by the improved experience of viewing these on the new iPad.  I have a favorite photo of a side canal in Venice, Italy.  It has many elements I always found pleasing…..contrast in the color and texture of the buildings, a bright blue boat sitting in the aquamarine water, a small bridge in the background with people crossing, bougenvillia hanging from window planters.

I thought I knew this picture. I’ve looked at it many, many times.

It now seems new. The color saturation is more dramatic, the brickwork is definable down to each brick. The leaves on the plants are distinguishable. The people on the bridge can now, with zoom, be individually noted, including what they are carrying. 

It is a fabulous experience to rediscover these treasured photos all over again.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 18 March 2012 12:35 PM #67

redge - 18 March 2012 01:07 AM

Some observations on the new iPad, which I received today in 32GB 4G configuration:

The 4G capability is currently of no use to anyone outside Canada and the U.S.

This means that iPad purchases by existing iPad owners elsewhere, and among people in Canada and the U.S. who just want WiFi, will be driven in the near term by decisions about whether the improved display and camera are worth an upgrade. I think that iPad 1 owners will upgrade, but I am less sure about iPad 2 owners. I do think that the new version will attract people who have not previously owned an iPad.

It isn’t clear whether the expansion of 4G to other countres is a hardware or software upgrade issue, a question of significance to those of us who are based in Canada or the U.S. who travel elsewhere, such as to Europe.

I can say that the AT&T and Canadian telco iPads operate on the same frequencies, but the Verizon version does not. I have been struck in the last 24 hours by the wonderment on U.S. sites that Verizon iPads will work as 3G devices on AT&T devices. Starting with the original iPad, the iPads sold in Canada have been unlocked. In other words, the iPad that I bought from Apple Canada worked, with the insertion of an AT&T SIM card, on AT&T in New York. If that has not been the case in the U.S., I am surprised. More importantly, as I understand it, Apple announced some time ago that the U.S. iPad 3 would work with both carriers, on 3G, with either carrier’s SIM card. I’m kind of surprised that this has now become a subject of discussion on the Internet, all of it suggesting that Verizon’s iPads will work with an AT&T SIM card, but no-one so far saying the reverse. As far as I know, the SIM cards, for the purpose of 3G access, are supposed to be interchangeable.

That said, if you look at the specs for the operating frequencies, you will see that those of AT&T and the Canadian telcos (Bell, Rogers, Telus) are the same, but Verizon is not. What this suggests, if one wants 4G access in both Canada and the US, is that one wants either a Canadian or AT&T iPad 3, but not a Verizon, which offers one 4G frequency instead of two.

I am pretty sure that people in Europe, and Canadians and Americans who travel, including business people, want to know whether the iPad that they just purchased will work on 4G networks in Europe when those networks come on line in the coming months. The answer depends on whether this us a hardware or software question. So far, neither Apple nor any of the reviewers has addressed the question. It would not seem to be a hard question to answer, and the answer has pretty clear implications for iPad 3 sales.

P.S. To see for yourself which iPsds offer which 3G and 4G frequencies, go to Apple’s U.S. and Canada sites and look at the iPad specs; and for that matter, look at Apple’s U.K., Australian or other sites for countries where the iPad 3 is being sold.

Not to get into a technical discussion but your statement on 4G just add to the confusion that is going around the tech world theses days.  To more correctly state.  The LTE bands supported by the iPad are different then the bands currently in use in Europe, but the HSPA+ and Dual Carrier HSPA are compatible with the european frequency bands.  The baseband chip in the iPad two was capable of a max of 14.7 Mbps down and the new baseband supports 42Mbps.  Many carriers in Europe have implemented HSPA+ networks.
    As far as changing frequencies on the LTE bands this mainly a hardware issue as each band requires a power amplifier and with all the bands in use around the world for LTE, at some point Apple will need either new technology from the folks like Triquint & Avago

The 3g standard has a number of categories and the categories have optional and mandatory features so depending what category the user equipment supports and what category the network supports will determine the max theoretical data rate, and then we have the loading and location and a ton of other issues which affect actual throughput.  I think it is safe to say the average European user will see improved network performance with the new iPad but they need to look at individual carriers networks.

The iPad baseband is a generational jump and will now support 42Mbps on compatible networks and you will see much better download speeds IMO across Europe despite the lack of LTE support

Posted: 18 March 2012 03:48 PM #68

All now seems right in my iWorld.

I was a bit worried at first with my new new new iPad rolleyes but I suspect the Vz LTE radio at least must be “unlocked” by your $$$ before you can access it.  My second iPad just would not activate period, even at the Apple Store.  iPad is incredibly lazy about acquiring signal (or, Verizon deprecates the device?), in my experience anyway, ‘til your sign up is complete.

The actual buying data experience had minor hiccups that Apple could work on (why such a small popup window on a bigger screen, scrolling was wonky) and the month-to-month is mildly consumer-unfriendly for a no-contract proposition. 

That all pales in comparison to my mini-saga that no one gives a rat’s behind about LOL, at least activation was a breeze.  LTE, when you have a steady signal at least, acquires far faster than iPhone’s AT&T 3G signal does.  And the obligatory, albeit data-burning SpeedTest results: a massive 2.4-ish MB/s down and around 2.0 MB/s up.  Bytes, not bits.  Really, really fast!

iPad 3 LOL is ready to go!

[ Edited: 18 March 2012 03:51 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 18 March 2012 03:53 PM #69

Red Shirted Ensign - 18 March 2012 02:46 PM

I thought I knew this picture. I’ve looked at it many, many times.

It now seems new. The color saturation is more dramatic, the brickwork is definable down to each brick. The leaves on the plants are distinguishable. The people on the bridge can now, with zoom, be individually noted, including what they are carrying. 

It is a fabulous experience to rediscover these treasured photos all over again.

It really is great viewing images, I agree.  People in photography can spend thousands more in SLR lenses to gain this kind of improvement in resolution. 

The battery recharge time is a reminder that the new iPad has a 70% larger battery—it’s an overnight exercise now.

Posted: 18 March 2012 05:54 PM #70

Starting to catch up with/to of things that currently irritate iPad buyers.

Why can’t I mass delete or flag emails?  Why is the email interface relatively slow feeling compared to iPhone?  (I’m sure presentation and Retina Display have something to do with that.)

Where the runtime/time since charge usage indicator go?

Wi-Fi reception seems improved over iPhone though.  That’s a definite plus.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 March 2012 10:31 PM #71

Mav - 16 March 2012 12:20 AM

pats, I forget.  Is MDM 9600 an acceptable solution for a smartphone-type device?

I also wonder how Apple can fit a, I dunno, 30-50% bigger battery in an iPhone (presumably a bigger boost won’t be needed because the Retina Display will stay the same).

They still are a battery hog so I think Apple will go with the 9615 when it starts rolling off the wafer line next qtr in time for the iPhone.  The timeline for the iPad would have been in jeopardy if they waited on the 28NM ramp, it appears that also happened with the A5X, the bleeding edge is hell on schedule, and IMO Apple took a more conservative technical approach to avoid problems like they had last year.  the display was already a high risk technology.  So using a conservative SOC and baseband choice was probably much smarter for meeting the Mar launch.  As for the iPhone the A5X is realatively huge for a phone SOC so Apple may have another design based on a die shrink to 32 NM or they could be switching to TSCM 28NM for iPhone.

Posted: 18 March 2012 11:11 PM #72

I don’t know about “conservative.”  A5X is holding up tremendously well to Tegra 3 from what I’ve seen - never mind that Android would need to be optimized to the extreme levels of iOS to get the most out of the SoC.  A5X + display throws off heat and burns battery - somehow I doubt quad-core tablets or new-gen dual-core will do much better.  And hey, 3GS >> 4 processor, which is a sped-up A8 core, right?

In fact, now that I think about it, A5 >> A5X is _very_ similar to A8-in-3GS >> Apple A4 customized A8 (including the resolution boost!).  A tick-tock Intel-esque strategy.

Not sure a more custom A15/A9 quad-core strategy would’ve helped all that much.

A6 in the iPhone?  Maybe still in play.  Not like an iPhone would benefit as much from quad-core graphics, I imagine CPU would matter more at that point.  I don’t see any 1920x1280 iPhone screens anytime soon…anytime ever? LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 March 2012 05:16 AM #73

moltenfire - 17 March 2012 09:53 PM

I think future iPads will keep the 10 hour battery life on Wifi.  It’s a nice round number, perfect for a day’s work and then some, and is easy to remember and easy to market.  iPads are already the benchmark for battery life longevity; I don’t think extending it past 10 hours would give a significantly better user experience.

My first generation iPod ( classic ) also had a rated battery life of 10 hours, but this was increased in successive generations with the current version rated at 36 hours for audio only.  Few people really need 36 hours of continuous use, and some weight/bulk could have been saved by cutting down the battery pack.

iPad is already way ahead of the competition in battery life, but if it’s possible to add an extra couple of hours with each generation whilst keeping the size/weight/cost the same, I think Apple would go that route.  There are situations where iPad could be used for more than 10 continuous hours a day ( schools, medical etc ), and being able to do that without plugging in would be a benefit.

Posted: 19 March 2012 05:28 AM #74

omacvi - 17 March 2012 09:49 PM

The battery really takes a long time to charge.  I had it plugged in at 62% and 2 hours later it was at 79%.  It was sitting idle that whole time.

By the way this screen is just amazing.

What are you using?  The iPad 10W/2.1A charger?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 March 2012 05:31 AM #75

Platon - 17 March 2012 09:26 PM

At first pass I am having good feelings about the iPad’s battery life. Mine arrived with 86% battery life and I have only drained 40% with about 6-8 hours of use which is much better than their advertised 10 hour for wifi.. Of course I am comparing it to my original iPad and not the iPad 2. I believe it will be much better than what I am used to. I have not used the 4G so that may be one reason it seems to be performing better than I expected. Apple had claimed 9 hours on cellular and I think I will achieve that with mine. Could it be that the wifi only models have a smaller battery? I read an article that speculated about that and maybe that is why my 4G model has performed so well on wifi only so far.

The 4S has been slightly disappointing on battery life.

In this regard, while my preliminary testing shows iPad has good battery life, I am severely bugged by the “operating time” info being removed from iPad.  Y’know, the one you can find with Settings >> General >> Usage on your iPhone (which was displayed only two levels down on previous iOS versions but whatever).

I get that with battery life that good there really isn’t anything else to do but monitor the battery meter.  But for “home diagnostics” and making sure your battery is performing up to standards, I have no idea why Apple got rid of that for iPad.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.