• Posted: 09 March 2012 05:59 PM #32

In Europe, all models ship in two to three weeks

[ Edited: 09 March 2012 06:02 PM by Hamourabi ]      

Posted: 09 March 2012 09:42 PM #33

Get ready for the “supply side problem” FUD articles.    :evil:

cheers
        JohnG

Posted: 09 March 2012 09:47 PM #34

This is absolutely an aggressive rollout by TC and Apple.  I think Apple included Hong Kong in the rollout, like Mav was saying, to hopefully minimize the worldwide sales being shipped back to China’s gray market.  I think most have learned recently never to underestimate the “supply chain king”, Tim Cook.  I don’t think Apple will just want to show 100% YOY with the iPad and in this case it doesn’t matter anyway.    Apple will continue to OWN the tablet space and will once again, prove it in 2012.

My guestimate is 4.5 million on launch weekend and 14.2 million this quarter.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 09 March 2012 10:35 PM #35

Phil left no doubt in the keynote:

This is the fastest launch of ANY device Apple has ever shipped. 

What that means in units, who knows, but I suspect it’ll be…quite impressiveLOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 March 2012 08:13 PM #36

https://twitter.com/asymco/status/180428318183669760

@asymco Random data point for you: over 40,000 iPads being delivered in Perth Western Australia today. That’s 2.35% of the population.

Posted: 15 March 2012 08:34 PM #37

seba - 15 March 2012 11:13 PM

https://twitter.com/asymco/status/180428318183669760

@asymco Random data point for you: over 40,000 iPads being delivered in Perth Western Australia today. That’s 2.35% of the population.

That’s insane - wonder if it’s accurate (it could be for all WA, which would be less impressive).

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 15 March 2012 08:39 PM #38

That’s completely insane.  And awesome.

Time for me to get trading again - damn the near-term consequences.  (And possibly far-term. LOL)

[ Edited: 15 March 2012 09:12 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 16 March 2012 03:19 AM #39

When viewed at what was shipped and delivered to individuals, AppleStores and retail stores during the iPad2 first weekend in Australia last time, the figure of 40000 is more than believable.

The Doncaster Apple Store in Melbourne (one of three) had about 300 people queueing when the doors opened with around 80 employees at the store.

There were doubled the number in the queue for the last iPad2 launch when they ran out of supply at the 450th iPad that walked out the door by my count then. More than a hundred were turned away.

Customers today were handed numbered cards of the iPads they wanted to buy from a box. I was around the 220th in the queue and received a card whose last three digits were numbered 380.

At the time of the opening, the box probably had about 100 cards left in it.

I was out of the store with new base station and AppleTV by 8:35am and there was little of the line left. It was a relief that the paying for the iPad went faster than it did last time. They put on enough employees.

I just called the same store at 4:40pm and was told they had lots of models still in stock and enquired what models I was after. I pretended I wanted a 32 GB White Wi-Fi and 64 GB Black Wi-Fi and he said both were available and they closed at 9pm.

I called another Melbourne store (Chadstone) located in a bigger mall and they told me they were out of all Wi-Fi + 4G models, all white Wi-Fi models but had more of all the black Wi-Fi only models of all three memory sizes.

And finally I called another Melbourne store (Southland) and they still had stock. They still had all Wi-Fi models in white.

Apple no doubt bumped up the supply numbers given the increased number of countries they are launching in.

Australia now has 13 stores and they would have all been seeing similar lines of customers and having similar supplies.

The economy and consumer spending has simmered off a little over the last six months but there is still interest in getting one of the iPads and hundreds of people are queueing if they did not order one online for delivery.

I am sure a lot more desiring one of these either ordered it online for delivery today as there were tens of thousands delivered to people without the queueing last time and that story of convenience got around.

Once anyone with interest in an iPad (and older eyes) sees how crisp the screen is they will be convinced of just how good it is.

I expect Australia to be a continued good market for this product not just on launch day but three months from now.

More importantly, just back from a month’s trip from Hong Kong, I had the notion that the iPad was popular among the young, the social status aware and some fashion aware individuals as I saw plenty of them strutting around in public with iPads in the open in a less than trendy district of Hong Kong island that I stayed in. (there would not be a threat of theft like in other cities).

Without any more intention than making a comment on an observation, I did note that today’s Apple Store Doncaster queue in Melbourne was made up of more than 50% of Asian faces, with the majority being Chinese and speaking one or two Chinese dialects, but there were noticeably more Indian Sub-continent faces in the crowd scattered throughout. This immigrant to Oz welcomes all of them to the iPad third generation world we now live in.

The screen alone is worth the upgrade to me. Higher resolution in this case equals faster and easier eye movements and your reading will naturally speed up. You will now get through reading this type of long posts on the AFB forum in less time than ever.

Posted: 16 March 2012 04:09 AM #40

Thanks for the report, G!  (Sorry, it’s just more efficient shorthand)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 16 March 2012 06:19 AM #41

On twitter people say that some Walmarts only have 5 iPads and only 16GB version, other Walmarts have about 20 iPads.
    http://www.creatlive.eu/walmart-midnight-ipad-launch-good-results
    http://lockerz.com/s/192901775
    http://twitter.com/#!/Osifer/status/180507938014769152/photo/1

• Posted: 16 March 2012 07:10 AM #42

No files, no excitement it seems that there is a lot of supply.

• Posted: 16 March 2012 08:44 AM #43

What is the general WS consensus on the number of iPads that will be sold for this weekend and for this quarter?

People on AFB are also all over the place on that number.  Is there a consensus or at least some average?  I’m getting so confused at this point I feel like the numbers are all over the place.  Can someone out there clarify?  I would much appreciate it.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 16 March 2012 09:38 AM #44

Phoebear611 - 16 March 2012 11:44 AM

What is the general WS consensus on the number of iPads that will be sold for this weekend and for this quarter?

People on AFB are also all over the place on that number.  Is there a consensus or at least some average?  I’m getting so confused at this point I feel like the numbers are all over the place.  Can someone out there clarify?  I would much appreciate it.

I have not seen any other than Gene Munster’s 1 million number.

I expect 1.5 million smile

Some people here expect gazillions.  I’d rather keep expectations realistic

• Posted: 16 March 2012 09:43 AM #45

The positive is Apple started building new iPad in January so I expect plenty supply and preorders were off the chart. But I am worried there is no great excitement and lines.