iPhone lost Daylight Savings Time

Posted: 11 March 2012 04:48 PM

+

I have a 32 GB iPhone 4S on AT&T. I could swear that, earlier today, it was displaying the time correctly now that its Daylight Savings Time. Now, though, its an hour behind, as if DST didn’t arrive. Anyone else having this issue? (A friend of mine is having it with an LG phone on Verizon.)

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 12 March 2012 11:40 AM #1

My ATT iPhone is showing the right time now (7:40 am PST), but an alarm I set this morning for 6:15am did not go off until 7:15 am…

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

Posted: 12 March 2012 08:13 PM #2

+

Mine’s showing the right time now, too. Will try the alarms tomorrow morning. FYI, this is a good time to use the timer as a backup: Right now it’s about 7 PM, so if I want to wake up at 6 AM, I’ll set the timer to count down 11 hours. Strange that this was an issue last year, too. Yet the Y2K bug didn’t even come close to affecting the Mac! Apple even boasted about it on their website at the time, with a headline reading something like, “We may not get everything right, but at least we knew the millenium was going to end.” Apple then touted that Macs would continue functioning properly until January 1, 29,940 AD. They even used it as the basis of a Super Bowl commercial, starring none other than HAL 9000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJkAYdT7qo

When trying to find the exact quote from Apple’s website, though, I stumbled upon an interesting tidbit: The above January 1, 29,940 AD functionality only applied to the classic Mac OS. It does not apply to OS X. Why? Because OS X is a UNIX operating system, and all UNIX operating systems apparently have their own Y2K bug, that will kick in on “...January 19, 2038 at 3:14:07 in the morning.”

Here’s where I found that:

http://www.wap.org/y2kpage.html

An interesting question: Assuming the above is true, and knowing the iOS is a variant of OS X, does that mean that iOS devices share the same risk? Granted, Apple has a LOT of time to solve this problem—assuming Apple and/or UNIX still even exist 26 years from now—but I’m guessing that both will. So what will the solution be? A solution for UNIX, and thus OS X and (possibly) iOS, or Apple’s next operating systems being based on something other than UNIX?

Finally, given that Linux shares a heritage with UNIX, does it have the same issue? If so, what happens to the web that day, unless Linux is fixed as well? (I can’t back this up with stats, but I’m sure the bulk of websites are served up on Linux servers. ALL of mine are.) And Android? Isn’t that Linux-based, too?

2037 is going to be an interesting year….

[ Edited: 12 March 2012 08:17 PM by mrmwebmax ]

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 12 March 2012 09:57 PM #3

I believe that was fixed in the 64 bit versions of OSX. So it should not be a problem from Snow Leopard onward (at least). I have seen reports that It was also fixed in Tiger on G5.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…