Replacement MacBook Battery

Posted: 21 March 2012 04:32 PM

I have a 2008 Unibody Aluminum Macbook. The battery just died (My fault, I left it ion the charger for most of the first year. Since then I’ve been trying to cycle it regularly but the damage was done).

Where is a good place to buy a replacement battery?

I can go to Apple, or elsewhere to get an Apple battery but I’m wondering about if there is an aftermarket third party battery that would work for less. (I’m saving up for a new MacBook Pro and didn’t really want to sink $100+

[ Edited: 21 March 2012 04:34 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 06 April 2012 09:28 AM #1

I haven’t used them myself, but I have heard good reviews of OWC batteries, the price is $99, but that is still cheaper than direct from apple

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/MacBook_13_Unibody

Posted: 08 April 2012 11:40 PM #2

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten that OWC sells aftermarket batteries.

Oddly enough after having around 10% battery capacity for a week it recovered to the 80% it had before. I just left it on the charger (had to, to use the MacBook) and one day it was OK. I’ve been using it and cycling the battery between 100% and 20% every day or so since then and it seems fine for the moment. I suspect that I’ll want to replace this one sometime, probably before I hand it off to the wife as her “new” system, but until then I’m going to sit tight.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 09 April 2012 12:28 PM #3

Just a note about my Macbook battery that died. I tried an Amazon replacement battery that was much cheaper than an OWC or Apple battery and it’s dead after about 90 days. I’m trying to return it now (or get a refund). But for now, my Macbook is my “new” desktop (with an attached 22” wide monitor).
    It’ll stay this way until I get a new Macbook next year, as I use my iPad for just about everything unless I travel for over a week or two.

• Posted: 26 April 2012 02:08 AM #4

geoduck - 21 March 2012 07:32 PM

I have a 2008 Unibody Aluminum Macbook. The battery just died

My wife’s 2008 Macbook (Purchased in January of 2009) showed a “Service Battery” icon about a month before its AppleCare expired. I took it to the Apple Store and the genius warned me that it was probably going to cost me for the replacement. But he did run an externally booted drive on the Mac and ran some diagnostics on it and it came back as “Battery Failed”, or something like that. He looked up and told me I was in luck, the battery was going to be replaced at no charge to me. I’d say it’s worth the effort, especially if it is/ was under AppleCare, but with that experience I’d probably do it whether or not it had been.

Good luck!

Joel.

Posted: 04 May 2012 12:18 PM #5

Macfox - 09 April 2012 03:28 PM

I tried an Amazon replacement battery that was much cheaper than an OWC or Apple battery

I bought it to replace my old battery. The battery died after only four months of use. Order the original from Apple and save your cash.

• Posted: 19 July 2012 12:15 PM #6

In general, I have had problems with replacement batteries.  I find its usually cheaper in the long run to buy brand name batteries.  I know at least with my ipods I have really good luck with NewerTech batteries from OWC.  I just had the battery in my non-unibody macbook pro go out the other day (started bulging and split the battery cover off) and I bit the bullet and just bought a new Apple battery.  I decided to spend the extra $20 for the Apple battery.  But I don’t hesitate with OWC batteries.  Also, just throwing out there, with UPS batteries I try to stay with panasonic, and powersonic.  I think there are some other brand name batteries out there but generally try to stay away from no name lead acids as well.