New iPad sales in FQ2

Posted: 29 March 2012 01:40 AM #16

You should have spend the money on a quick trip to Vegas instead.  It is clear you don’t need the iPad but instead some R&R. :wink:

Posted: 29 March 2012 01:47 AM #17

Mad, if you have an iPhone or older iPad, you have little excuse to not have the iPad up and running. raspberry Sync with iTunes/iCloud and you’re done!  Heck, I had my case and screen protector arrive before my iPad did! LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 March 2012 07:55 AM #18

I’m slightly confused by the iPad rollout - massive supply in stores and resellers, but apple store online maintains a 1 week+ delivery time. seems to be the story worldwide.

Are online orders all coming straight from china to the door, while a sepearate supply goes through apples normal distribution chain to retail outlets?

Here in NZ I just walked into one of several iPad resellers within 100m of my house an hour after launch last Friday and was able to get whatever model I wanted. A work mate ordered from apple online on the same morning and is still waiting for delivery almost a week later.

I think it’s good for march quarter sales numbers, because if apple has FLOODED the reseller retail outlets with massive supply, those are all countered as sales (whether or not they are sold yet).

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 29 March 2012 08:33 AM #19

I’m tempering my Q2 iPad sales expectations due to the 4G FUD issue. I do see this as a fairly significant marketing blunder.

cheers
        JohnG

[ Edited: 29 March 2012 10:59 AM by johnG ]      

Posted: 29 March 2012 09:17 AM #20

Burgess - 29 March 2012 10:55 AM

I’m slightly confused by the iPad rollout - massive supply in stores and resellers, but apple store online maintains a 1 week+ delivery time. seems to be the story worldwide.

Are online orders all coming straight from china to the door, while a sepearate supply goes through apples normal distribution chain to retail outlets?

Here in NZ I just walked into one of several iPad resellers within 100m of my house an hour after launch last Friday and was able to get whatever model I wanted. A work mate ordered from apple online on the same morning and is still waiting for delivery almost a week later.

I think it’s good for march quarter sales numbers, because if apple has FLOODED the reseller retail outlets with massive supply, those are all countered as sales (whether or not they are sold yet).

I think that would make sense if Apple wants to channel more customers into their retail stores in order to have them “impulse” buy products other than the iPad.

Signature

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein

Posted: 29 March 2012 10:58 PM #21

Big Al - 29 March 2012 12:17 PM

I think that would make sense if Apple wants to channel more customers into their retail stores in order to have them “impulse” buy products other than the iPad.

I like the “impulse buy” thought, as applied to iPads in general - maybe apple knows there are large amounts of impulse buying people who get caught up in the release mania and are more likely to buy a new ipad if they can walk in and get one, rather than if they have to wait for delivery by ordering online.  (no apple stores here in NZ yet - so this is a strategy that works with resellers too).

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 29 March 2012 11:18 PM #22

madmaxroi - 29 March 2012 04:26 AM
    Gregg Thurman - 29 March 2012 04:03 AM

...I know I am really going to take grief for this next statement, but I have yet to open the New iPad I pre-ordered and received on March 16.  Don’t worry friends, it will still count for this quarter.  Ok, let the shellacking begin!  smile

Did you ever open it?  Are you using it like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVTp7eCWBo

• Posted: 30 March 2012 03:01 AM #23

Burgess - 30 March 2012 01:58 AM
    Big Al - 29 March 2012 12:17 PM

I like the “impulse buy” thought, as applied to iPads in general - maybe apple knows there are large amounts of impulse buying people who get caught up in the release mania and are more likely to buy a new ipad if they can walk in and get one, rather than if they have to wait for delivery by ordering online.  (no apple stores here in NZ yet - so this is a strategy that works with resellers too).

It could be a strategy to counter the Samsung ads depicting Apple buyers waiting endlessly in lines.

Signature

To the moon, Alice!

Posted: 30 March 2012 03:07 AM #24

Wedge Partners needs to get a clue.

I’m all for thoughtful bearish opinion and well-researched concern.  But behold!  One minute of effort!

Not super long lines?  Lots of initial supply?  Oh no!

http://www.cultofmac.com/124414/there-were-long-lines-for-the-iphone-4s-no-one-has-reported-yet/

Oh wait…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.