iPhone 5 - When Will It Be Released & What Will Be The Changes?

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:11 PM

This article mentions (you know much I love CNBC) 2nd Quarter and a 4.6” display.  If true, bring it on. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46821333

What other features will the new iPhone have?

1.  LTE
    2.  NFC
    3.  Bigger Screen
    4.  Edge to Edge Screen?
    5.  Tear-drop form factor?
    6.  Improved battery life!

What other wish list items is everyone waiting for?

(edited for #6)

[ Edited: 22 March 2012 12:19 PM by madmaxroi ]      
  • Posted: 22 March 2012 12:29 PM #1

madmaxroi - 22 March 2012 03:11 PM

This article mentions (you know much I love CNBC) 2nd Quarter and a 4.6” display.  If true, bring it on. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46821333

What other features will the new iPhone have?

1.  LTE
    2.  NFC
    3.  Bigger Screen
    4.  Edge to Edge Screen?
    5.  Tear-drop form factor?
    6.  Improved battery life!

What other wish list items is everyone waiting for?

(edited for #6)

]

All of the above and improved camera quality. If they do this, the iPhone will finally kill 95% of point and shoots.

Posted: 22 March 2012 02:35 PM #2

LTE

No NFC

Bigger screen only because of the bigger battery.  I say they add pixels rather than degrade ppi

Edge to edge nonsense.  Everyday usability issue.  See also: iPads 1/2/3

Teardrops shed by unicorn iPhone pretender fans holding out for the unrealistic or trying to create unrealistic expectations.  I say a nice evolution of the “brick” design. 

I’ll be surprised of battery life is close to or better than the iPhone 4, which had the best battery life of any iPhone I’ve had (I skipped the 3GS)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 March 2012 07:10 PM #3

LTE with world wide freq support and TDSCDMA for China Mobile
    Apple A6 - Die shrink on Samsunfg 32NM process- improved battery life
    Sharp IGZO based screen with integrated system on Glass touch screen- Thinner, better battery life , improved color gamut, reduced glare.
    NFC
    New MAPS app. With turn by turn navigation
    Support for Open CL in iOS 6 for GPU Computing
    80211ac WIFI for video streaming/AirPlay

My contract is up in Sep and I have a birthday on the 11th so announce before labor day and deliver by the 11th of Sep. :-D

Posted: 22 March 2012 08:13 PM #4

The 4.6” screen would be rediculous - I cant see apple doing it (maybe for the iPod touch)

4” iPhone sounds reasonable, and I agree with Mav that the larger screen is a good excuse to help make room for the larger battery needed for LTE.

Im picking a September/October release. No point in ramping up the massive amount of iPhone 4S production lines and only using them for 9 months before needing to retool most of them to iphone 5 lines.

The big question for this 2012 launch is what happens to the iPhone 3GS??? Will it still be sold? In all markets or just in cheaper markets dominated by prepay like india? I think that would be the best option - the 3 year old 3GS still betters the cheap unsubsidised android 2012 models in performance & experience - having that available in the BRIC countries at around $199-$249 USD will be a killer product.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 22 March 2012 10:03 PM #5

i really don’t see the camera being improved in this go round. The camera in 4s is spectacular and the cost of implementing a new camera when the current is in top 1% seems unnecessary.

LTE, definitely
    larger screen seems certain. I think 4” is large enough.
    slightly improved battery life.
    thinner
    no NFC
    A6 quad core

new form factor. not tear dropped but will use curved glass somehow

[ Edited: 23 March 2012 02:52 AM by Pot Committed ]      

Posted: 22 March 2012 10:11 PM #6

My choice of a new feature would be a well-executed haptic feedback system. That would be a big differentiator, IMO.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 22 March 2012 10:12 PM #7

-There’s no need for Apple to go as big as 4.6 regardless of battery space needed due to LTE.  A 4.6 wouldn’t slide conveniently into your pocket like the current iPhone does.  I see them going as large as 4.0.

-I think we’ll definitely see a new mapping feature in iOS 6 and the end of Apple’s need for Google maps.  Apple has put some serious money into mapping companies and this will pay off with groundbreaking graphics and software.

-Metal back…..probably.

-Thinner?  Hopefully but I’m not holding my breath due to the battery.

-I’d like to see a Sept. launch but I’m leaning for Oct.  All Apple product launches are huge BUT “the new iPhone”, as they’ll probably name it, will be off the charts.  I hope TC has 10 million devices ready at launch.  Let’s get that Brazil factory hummin.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 01:14 AM #8

I don’t see a larger screen for the new iPhone. Too many apps depend on the current standard size and a larger screen causes too many problems.

Also, I see the new iPhone coming no later than September. The 4S was behind schedule, perhaps because of siri, which is why the release slipped into October.

In fact, I think we might even see a return to the normal July release schedule. My money is on September, however, because I believe the decision was made to replace the iPod schedule with the iPhone schedule.

Posted: 23 March 2012 01:30 AM #9

The new iPad demonstrates a real problem going forward though.  Seems Apple is pretty conservative, with good reason, in terms of not being “too” state of the art with battery technology.  Not like any of their other competitors are lapping them in this field anyway.

If you’re holding out for the One Battery to Rule Them All(tm) or something like that, you’ll have to see it pop up in MacBooks first IMHO.  Literally lower volumes and easier to “test” on consumers. 

I could be wrong of course, but if battery/heat considerations are in play I find it hard to see Apple going a route other than slightly bigger, unless they move to a different architecture for iPhone - say, the A15 dual core series.  Quad-core on a phone could well be overkill in that performance increases are to be expected, but not at the expense of practicality.  Power efficiency remains the order of the day, and the new iPad is a big hint that LTE isn’t a help whatsoever.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 01:31 AM #10

Here’s the new iPhone (I kid):

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/22/we-didnt-believe-that-4-6-inch-iphone-report-but-look-at-this-gallery/

Posted: 23 March 2012 01:33 AM #11

That’s when you know Jony Ive is no longer working at the company.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 01:57 AM #12

Mav - 23 March 2012 04:33 AM

That’s when you know Jony Ive is no longer working at the company.

Read the comments—pretty funny.  I agree, this is not Jony’s best work.

Posted: 23 March 2012 02:19 AM #13

Yes, the comment “that’s not a mockup, that’s a fockup” takes the award!  smile

• Posted: 23 March 2012 12:47 PM #14

1) LTE for sure
    2) A6 chip very likely
    3) slightly bigger screen up to 4” likely. (definitely NOT 4,6 inches!)
    4) Same resolution Retina display (meaning slightly lower DPI but still Retina)
    5) New smaller dock connector
    5) A hair thinner than iPhone 4S but slightly heavier (due to larger screen + battery)
    7) Same 8MP camera but w. bumped performance due to new faster camera firmware
    8) iOS 6 with Apple Maps and Apple’s own turn-by-turn GPS app preloaded!

... and then the wild card: new iPhone body made out of Liquid Metal? !

They bought those world wide exclusive rights for Liquid Metal@ technology for a reason, you know grin

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/09/apple-buys-out-liquidmetal-patents-to-stay-one-step-ahead-in-materials-game/

Signature

Not an insider - not an outsider. Just right in the middle of it all.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 07:37 PM #15

1. LTE with more worldwide band compatibility than the iPad 2012
    2. A5X just like the iPad 2012, but with dual core GPU rather than quad
    3. Same resolution as the iPhone 4/4S but slightly bigger.  Like others I think it would help the battery life on LTE to make the device bigger since they can include a bigger battery without making the device thicker.  Certainly under 4” though.  Maybe even just 3.7” rather than 3.5, but an increase never the less.
    4. Same dock connector. 
    5. Same home button.  No swipe gestures in home area.  Too bad. :-(
    6. Metal or ceramic or liquid metal back.  Not glass anymore.
    7. Similar shape to the current phone.
    8. Improvements to Siri including third-party support in iOS 6 which we’ll presumably hear about this summer.
    9. Minor multi-tasking improvements (scanning for new podcasts in the background for example)
    10. Improved Facetime camera front camera

Long shots?
    1. A better flash.  The phone is great but the flash is still just awful.  Not sure how they might do this…
    2. Improved battery life due to IGZO panel
    3. Thinner glass/touchscreen assembly