Apple’s devoted shareholders get rich and hang on.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 01:54 PM

Reuters article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-devoted-shareholders-rich-hang-163614795.html

Posted: 23 March 2012 04:08 PM #1

Jessica should have interviewed the members of this board if she wanted some truly impressive results!
    Now that would be something to write about.

:apple:

Posted: 23 March 2012 04:17 PM #2

The last thing Investment Advisors will want is for people to read how they can do their own investments and out perform the mutual funds that they are pushing.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 04:47 PM #3

My “financial advisor” told me “there is never harm in taking profits” and advised me to sell at around $30.00, since I had almost a 4x at that time.  Taking that advice would have been about the biggest mistake I ever made.  Conventional wisdom which these people excel at can be very expensive.

Posted: 23 March 2012 10:16 PM #4

MacCube - 23 March 2012 07:08 PM

Jessica should have interviewed the members of this board if she wanted some truly impressive results!
    Now that would be something to write about.

:apple:

I thought the same thing.  There are some rags to riches stories here at AFB.

What is interesting is that Apple Mac and iPhone owners are becoming die hard stock owners.

If this pattern continues it will reach a tipping point when the world figures out that Apple not only makes good products but they are a perfect retirement investment.  I see that taking place in 12 months when we start to move up quickly.

I think there are millions like me who buy and hold and buy some more.  The big boys are catching on and the little guys will keep the stock from tanking.  This is not 2008 any more.

Millions more are buying options and slowly turning those into the actual stock.

A year ago and again 2 years ago I preached to buy and not sell.  Those who did are happy campers like myself and we will be greatly rewarded in the future again.

Every day my friends tell me to cash in.  No way.  I will never cash in because I will give it to my kids.smile

• Posted: 23 March 2012 11:14 PM #5

Lstream - 23 March 2012 07:47 PM

My “financial advisor” told me “there is never harm in taking profits” and advised me to sell at around $30.00, since I had almost a 4x at that time.  Taking that advice would have been about the biggest mistake I ever made.  Conventional wisdom which these people excel at can be very expensive.

Not for them. The investment community walks a very narrow line.  If you dont make money you go away.  If you make too much you don’t come back.  They want you to make just enough (10%-20% per annum) to keep coming back…to them.  They’ll never tell you that, without them, you can make 10% (on average) if you bought and held the DOW Index long term.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 23 March 2012 11:53 PM #6

Gregg Thurman - 24 March 2012 02:14 AM
    Lstream - 23 March 2012 07:47 PM

Not for them. The investment community walks a very narrow line.  If you dont make money you go away.  If you make too much you don’t come back.  They want you to make just enough (10%-20% per annum) to keep coming back…to them.  They’ll never tell you that, without them, you can make 10% (on average) if you bought and held the DOW Index long term.

Investment advisors know one thing above all else:  A client may grumble with a safe 1-10% return but they won’t fire you.  Lose any kind of money and they will.

Safety and conservatism is Job No. 1.  They’re out to preserve their income stream at your expense.

Posted: 24 March 2012 12:19 AM #7

I got a slightly creepy vibe from the article because the profiled “investors” seemed so naive and simplistic. i.e. I don’t this this article even scratched the surface of the folks who have made REAL money on aapl.

Anyway, cheers to all
          JohnG

Posted: 24 March 2012 02:17 AM #8

johnG - 24 March 2012 03:19 AM

I got a slightly creepy vibe from the article because the profiled “investors” seemed so naive and simplistic. i.e. I don’t this this article even scratched the surface of the folks who have made REAL money on aapl.

Anyway, cheers to all
          JohnG

Yeah, when I read that article and saw testimonials like this:

“I see Apple as my rainy day fund,” said Landau, who is now managing director of Internet publisher Food Republic. His investment of $15,000 in Apple stock 12 years ago is now worth $60,000 even though he sold 200 of his 300 shares.

I thought to myself that maybe a year or two ago, I would have thought this was an awesome gain. But now, after hanging out on AFB and using options, raving about a 4x gain over 12 years seems kind of mundane to me.

• Posted: 27 March 2012 01:48 AM #9

I first bought AAPL in 2000 and some more in 2003… invested about an iMac’s worth of money, with cost per share of $12.13.

Now, my wife and will have nearly our entire home down payment paid for w/ Apple stock sometime later this year. Or, were I less practical, it’d cover a large European sedan…

• Posted: 27 March 2012 08:23 AM #10

By going fully margined into apple stock I doubled my net worth last year and again this year. Now I’m done buying more but I won’t sell either.  The dividend is more than enough for me to live comfortably off of.  No more checking the stock every 20 minutes!

I must’ve told hundreds of people to buy apple back in the 300s when the valuation was just unbelievably low.  Only a handful did and of those many of them sold right away.

Apple still has short term upside since all the fund managers will pile in when the dividends start rolling in.  Long term all depends on the products of course.