Apple is like Abercombie and Fitch? Deep.

• Posted: 27 March 2012 06:21 PM #16

Mav - 27 March 2012 08:55 PM

Steve would never travel with little ribbons or decorations on his luggage to tell them apart, I guess.  Maybe he shipped it air freight? smile

Uh, Mav, you do remember he flew in his own jet?  Apple 1? 

The story reminds me of when he visited a team in Japan (I think?) and Steve was his usual blunt self, leaving the pleasantries home. 

The reception was mixed:  Some were insulted the others were amused.  I would definitely have fallen into the latter group. 

I think this may have been in Isaacson’s book?

• Posted: 27 March 2012 06:26 PM #17

Can’t really picture him as “Mr. Bling”.

I saw some disaffection over the years, and of course ‘95 to ‘97 was hard on everyone. A friend had a pet project canceled by Steve, he quit the next day.

re-orgs never went all that smoothly, even when the company was smaller in those “middle years”. Some people don’t like change and things were always dynamic, esp. after Steve got back. Some really good people left with the move to OS X, not so much out of disaffection but just being older and not wanting to have to learn something new. Or dedication to ppc architecture - “real engineers code motorola parts”. Never understood that one.

There was a certain head of HW Engineering who didn’t stay long but pissed off a few guys enough to create a hole in our org for quite a while. Up until about 2004 Apple tended to pay people a little less than other companies in the valley. That didn’t affect me smile but some people were always grumbling.

I’m guessing the same issues exist at all companies. People I worked closely with at ATI and NVidia seemed less happy to me than we were.

For me it was like being in the best university with the best professors basically a door-knock away. Oh and you get paid for attending wink I learned new things every day, many of them 12-16 hours long. It was fun and games for someone who grew up taking apart every mechanical and electrical device in my poor parents’ house.

Shipping quality hardware on schedule with many dependencies can be stressful. Your life gets divided into projects instead of months and years go by quickly. Eventually that’s why I left. Mid forties, surrounded by younger faster and brighter ... Just personally felt like time to move on. If I’d waited a few more moths for the market to crash I would have bought my options for a lot less, but who knew ...

Posted: 27 March 2012 06:32 PM #18

Mercel - 27 March 2012 09:21 PM
    Mav - 27 March 2012 08:55 PM

Steve would never travel with little ribbons or decorations on his luggage to tell them apart, I guess.  Maybe he shipped it air freight? smile

Uh, Mav, you do remember he flew in his own jet?  Apple 1? 

The story reminds me of when he visited a team in Japan (I think?) and Steve was his usual blunt self, leaving the pleasantries home. 

The reception was mixed:  Some were insulted the others were amused.  I would definitely have fallen into the latter group. 

I think this may have been in Isaacson’s book?

Well, Steve is no longer with us.  Guess that’s partly why I completely forgot about his G5.  Also, I didn’t read that part of the bio.  I’ll make a point to.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 31 March 2012 08:57 PM #19

Mav - 27 March 2012 09:32 PM

Well, Steve is no longer with us.  Guess that’s partly why I completely forgot about his G5.  Also, I didn’t read that part of the bio.  I’ll make a point to.

I kid about the the “Apple 1” moniker. 

But the G5 is a very nice jet.  I’ve only flown on a Lear, which was impressive by itself.  I noted that Tim Cook flew commercial on his recent China trip, as it appeared from the photos online. 

He had some nice luggage, an encouraging sign that the Apple CEO is more than an operations guy.  He has taste too!  LOL

[ Edited: 31 March 2012 09:23 PM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 31 March 2012 09:07 PM #20

Except for maybe Clif bars.  I’ve tried one or two.  Energy bars will ALWAYS taste like energy bars, even the better ones.

Sheesh, I need to catch up on the Tim Cook CEO sighting watch.  Got a link to the commercial jet photo? raspberry

[ Edited: 31 March 2012 09:10 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 31 March 2012 09:27 PM #21

Mav - 01 April 2012 12:07 AM

Except for maybe Clif bars.  I’ve tried one or two.  Energy bars will ALWAYS taste like energy bars, even the better ones.

Sheesh, I need to catch up on the Tim Cook CEO sighting watch.  Got a link to the commercial jet photo? raspberry

This photo looks like it was shot from an Android:  Blurry.  LOL

http://micgadget.com/24548/tim-cook-leaves-china/