“Open File With” Problem

Posted: 31 March 2012 12:17 PM

I know this has been discussed in the past, but since I’ve never, EVER had a problem with it, I didn’t pay much attention.

My Mac is now opening all rtf and txt documents in Text Edit.
    Long ago, when I switched over to Bean (and something else before that) for text documents, I did the Get Info > Open With trick on a document, changed it to Bean, then clicked “Change all…”

It’s worked fine for years, but now every time I log in or reboot, documents open in Text Edit. It’s not just Text Edit either.  I also prefer to use Movist to watch videos rather than Quicktime, which has become buggy.  Same deal; it lasts until I log out or reboot.

And another problem is when I open many of my apps, I get the warning: “You are opening the application ?Bean.app? for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?”  Sometimes I get, “Firefox was downloaded from the Internet.  Are you sure you want to open it?”

These are applications I have been using for years.

I’ve Repaired Permissions and Rebuilt Launch Services repeatedly, but nothing works.

I hate Lion, nothing but trouble.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

Posted: 01 April 2012 01:51 PM #1

The second issue is Apple’s design.  Spoofing of an app is all too easy.  The real trick is one of the following.  A download link somehow bad , either in the app itself is bad at a good download site or the download link has been illegally changed.

For the OPEN WITH issue, try RCDefault

http://www.mac-and-i.net/2011/05/rcdefaultapp-manage-default.html

Posted: 01 April 2012 05:03 PM #2

Tetrachloride - 01 April 2012 04:51 PM

The second issue is Apple’s design.  Spoofing of an app is all too easy.  The real trick is one of the following.  A download link somehow bad , either in the app itself is bad at a good download site or the download link has been illegally changed.

For the OPEN WITH issue, try RCDefault

http://www.mac-and-i.net/2011/05/rcdefaultapp-manage-default.html

I don’t understand what you meant about Apple’s design, and spoofing an app.  I especially didn’t understand about download links gone bad and changed.  Where does that all fit in my query?

I tried RCDefault yesterday at another person’s suggestion, and while it’s a nifty Prefs Pane, it didn’t “take,” so I was right back where I started after a reboot.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics