MacBook Air SSD Space

Posted: 03 April 2012 11:09 AM

My MacBook is coming up due for replacement and I’m waiting for the rumored 15” Macbook Air. My MacBook has a 500Gb drive but only about 150Gb is free. I have a lot of pictures and music and videos on there.

I was looking at the MacBook Air’s that are currently available and the largest drive in them is 256Gb.

My question is to those of you that have a MacBook Air. How do you deal with the small SSD’s? Do you carry an external USB drive for your pictures and video? Do you use your iPod as external storage for music? Do you keep a whole separate machine at home and then just synch what you want to take with you?

Just what do you do with all your stuff?

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 03 April 2012 04:10 PM #1

Can’t speak for MacBook Air owners, but my desktop only has a 160GB drive (with a 15GB bootcamp partition).

My desktop FW 400 drive includes my archived projects, iTunes library, videos, and World of Warcraft (sucker’s massive). All of them work just fine off the main drive. With a little luck, any new Ivy Bridge mac will also have USB 3.0 on board, making external drive speed a moot point.

I’d suggest figuring out now just how many files can be shunted off to an external drive first: old projects you don’t need anymore, rarely used files or programs that you’d only use at home, then finally rarely used files which you might need on the road with your laptop. If you clear off enough space with the first two categories, look into an external USB 2.0 drive. If you still need room, then look into portable bus-powered drives. Toshiba makes a 500GB USB 3.0 Bus-powered portable drive which TigerDirect has for under $100 right now.

Fortunately the SSD in the current MBA models are a user-upgradable part. The bad news is that the upgrade from OWC is in the $1000 range for 480GB drive.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 06 April 2012 04:13 PM #2

I have an external drive I use for files I don’t need to have quick access too. Actually, most of my files probably fall under that description, but you know what I mean.

Posted: 06 April 2012 11:54 PM #3

These spam bots are certainly adding a lot to the discussion :sigh:

• Posted: 07 May 2012 09:55 AM #4

I have a 160GB SSD on my macbook 13 pro, it is sufficient for me as I do browsing and basic word/spreadsheet tasks. But if you have a lot of graphics work and sound editing to do, I say stick to a mechanical drive and use a 512GB drive. Or unless you?re balling maybe a 512GB SSD. Heh