MobileMe users - which replacement for iDisk?

• Posted: 09 April 2012 07:08 PM

I was a fairly heavy user of iDisk for a quick and easy place to drop files that I need to access from other computers. I basically use it as an online flash drive.

With iCloud some of iDisk’s functionality will be retained in the form of document syncing, but we won’t necessarily be able to connect in the finder and drag any old file type in and out of our storage space.

What are you using, or planning to use, as an iDisk substitute? I am aware of several options including Box, Dropbox, and more. Which one is your favorite and why?

I really liked being able to go to Connect to Server on any Mac, open documents, save, and eject when I’m done. I’m not sure any other services offer that, short of hosting my own AFP or WebDAV share on a server I control…

[ Edited: 10 April 2012 02:38 PM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 10 April 2012 11:23 AM #1

I’m using Dropbox for my day-to-day files and for sharing content with other people simply because it’s such a popular service. I use SugarSync for data I need to access, but don’t need to share with other people.

Dropbox feels like it needs a little less hands-on, which is nice, although being able to control exactly which folders sync is a nice bonus you get with SugarSync.

Posted: 10 April 2012 12:11 PM #2

Is anyone using a service that directly supports FTP, without setting up your own server and syncing it?

Posted: 10 April 2012 12:21 PM #3

I am using Dolly Drive’s Dolly Sync service. It is just like Dropbox and SugarSync expect I’ll be able to delegate exactly how much storage I have available to me with an update coming soon. If you aren’t familiar with Dolly Drive, they are an all-in-one online backup solution. You can back up your hard drive to their servers using the Mac’s built in Time Machine application. You can also backup to a local drive or networked drive just like you may have always been doing using Time Machine. The backups can be scheduled to happen on the hour if you’d like. It automatically runs in the background. They also offer a clone service, a hard drive in the cloud (Dolly Space), and the Dolly Sync service I was telling you about earlier. The coolest part is that you get to delegate how much of your purchased storage you want to use for each service. For example, if I have 100GB of cloud storage, I can tell the system that I want to use 60GB for Time Machine backups, 20GB for Dolly Space and 20GB for Dolly Sync or any combination like that.  Dolly Space gives you a hard drive icon on your desktop that you can just drag files and drop into. Then, you hop on your iOS device and you download iDolly to access all of the content in Dolly Sync and Dolly Space on the go. Dolly Sync also has a folder on your desktop to drag and drop files into for immediate synchronization to all of your Macs. To sum up, Dolly Drive would be worth looking into if you really want a dedicated Mac solution from a team that is dedicated to constantly improving your software. I think they have a 33% discount right now.  By the way, they give you an additional 5GB of storage for FREE every month that you keep your service with them! Hope this helps!

Signature

Early 2008 White MacBook
    iPhone 4S
    2TB Time Capsule
    Apple TV (Third Generation)

• Posted: 10 April 2012 03:15 PM #4

The iDisk functionality I would like to replace is being able to post a password-protected file to the web which could then be downloaded by a third party with a link I sent via email. Ideally, this would have some stats available as to number of downloads, etc.

• Posted: 11 April 2012 05:01 PM #5

MobileMe and iDisk no longer exist. iCloud, the supposed replacement, doesn’t have this functionality.

• Posted: 11 April 2012 05:04 PM #6

Based on the links in their signature charlie101 is a spammer. Unfortunately I don’t have the ability to edit/delete their sig. If there’s another mod out there can you get rid of this? Thanks smile

• Posted: 12 July 2012 07:16 AM #7

Just for info: One is able to control exactly which folders sync in Dropbox…as I discovered yesterday !

• Posted: 09 August 2012 01:20 PM #8

Well, I ended up going with Dropbox, at least for now. Integration is pretty seamless and quite a few iOS apps support it for data storage or syncing. Working well so far!