Java File Permissions Problems

Posted: 14 April 2012 01:46 PM

I want to know if others are seeing this

My machine (‘08 MacBook, 2Ghz, 4Gb RAM, OS 10.6.8) started acting weird. I just replaced the hard drive, installed a fresh copy of the OS and restored all my files and applications from TimeMachine a couple of weeks ago and it had been running fine for a week or so. Suddenly late this week I started having Apps hang, and spinning beachballs on a regular basis. I tried running Onyx but it hung on Permissions Repair. So did Disk Utility. I rebooted to the Snow Leopard install disk and ran Disk Utility Permissions Repair. It fixed a lot of permissions, mostly on JAVA related files. I ran a Repair Disk and it found no problems with the disk itself. I then booted the system and it was running much better but Onyx still would stall. I ran Disk Utility again and it repaired permissions on a few dozen more files, once again mostly JAVA related.

I run (ran) Onyx every couple of months to clean up the system and while it usually fixed permissions on a few files I don’t remember this many JAVA related errors at one time. I got to thinking, could this be related to the major JAVA patch that came out this week to fix Flashback?

I’d like others to run a Permissions repair and see if they’re seeing this same thing. Also if you’ve installed the big Flashback JAVA patch.

[ Edited: 14 April 2012 01:55 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 15 April 2012 11:21 PM #1

This doesn’t discount the possibility of a Flashback issue, but in my experience there are errors with Java files almost every time I repair permissions, and it has always been that way. That alone isn’t something that raises a red flag for me. Especially if all software updates have been installed.

Next time a program hangs I would suggest opening Console and seeing if there are any messages that appar to be related to the frozen program.

Posted: 19 April 2012 01:44 PM #2

Thanks for the advice.
    Looks like nobody else is seeing this so…never mind.

Signature

• Posted: 30 April 2012 03:18 PM #3

In Java, file permissions are very OS specific: *nix , NTFS (windows) and FAT/FAT32, all have different kind of file permissions. Java comes with some generic file permission to deal with it.

Check if the file permission allow :

1. file.canExecute(); ? return true, file is executable; false is not.
      2. file.canWrite(); ? return true, file is writable; false is not.
      3. file.canRead(); ? return true, file is readable; false is not.

Posted: 30 April 2012 05:58 PM #4

That’s very interesting. Thanks.

Signature

• Posted: 30 April 2012 06:11 PM #5

I?m working on a new Java EE application, which will operate as a common user-interface for our native unix-applications. These unix-applications are installed on single server instance with several file-servers attached to it and the unix-profiles of our customers are also on that server instance ? and that?s the problem.