AAPL Chart Talk

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:03 PM

AAPL ONE-HOUR CHART (with my notes):

Note: this chart shows the micro-picture…the trees.  Shortly, I’ll zoom out to the charts of some longer timeframes so we can see the forest.

[ Edited: 10 September 2012 08:04 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 30 March 2012 09:22 PM #1

I want to see the critters iPad wink

Great chart!!

• Posted: 30 March 2012 09:30 PM #2

Chart looks like mixed signals, am I misinterpreting?

• Posted: 30 March 2012 09:45 PM #3

From the little - and I do mean little - that I can understand - the chart seems to have bullish and bearish signs. I gather some must be more important than others and weigh more heavily on direction.  This is like getting a doctor’s report with a bunch of ranges on your blood work and you have no idea what the hell your doctor is saying.  Just answer this: Will I live to see another day?!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 30 March 2012 09:59 PM #4

Jcaron - 31 March 2012 12:22 AM

I want to see the critters iPad wink

Great chart!!

My take:  We have bullish divergence on Macd, fast stoch and RSI are showing we are in over sold territory.  Also note the stock is trading near the lower bollinger band, just another indicator of over sold.  This is an hourly chart so indicators are for short term trends.  As iPad indicates expect a bounce but it is not a certainty.  I don’t have my charts right now ( I’m on my iPad) so I don’t dare say more for risk of my memory being wrong wink.  Regardless, I will say that I added to my Aug 650/700 BCS position today but wanted to wait for Monday before making any “largish” play…

• Posted: 30 March 2012 10:08 PM #5

Thank you.  Again this is all short term.  And what of the long term prospects.  Has anything changed technically or are we still bullish long term?

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:17 PM #6

coolbrz - 31 March 2012 12:30 AM

Chart looks like mixed signals, am I misinterpreting?

Ha!  Show me a chart that isn’t mixed signals! :D

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:18 PM #7

Phoebear611 - 31 March 2012 01:08 AM

Thank you.  Again this is all short term.  And what of the long term prospects.  Has anything changed technically or are we still bullish long term?

Long term bullish!

Phoebes, your options are all LEAPs, right?  Spreads or unhedged?

[ Edited: 30 March 2012 10:20 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:30 PM #8

lovemyipad - 30 March 2012 10:03 PM

AAPL ONE-HOUR CHART (with my notes):

Note: this chart shows the micro-picture…the trees.  Shortly, I’ll zoom out to the charts of some longer timeframes so we can see the forest.

Thank you, Ms. IPad for outstanding work in putting together these charts.  I know it takes a lot of time, and it is very much appreciated.

• Posted: 30 March 2012 10:30 PM #9

Very deep in the money - basically stock surrogates.  Currently unhedged but booked profits throughout this week and lightened up on some shorter term deep in the money’s I had (April 520s).  I prefer intrinsic value to be high and try to seek theta I can live with.  If I’m not sleeping well then I know I am definitely over exposed.  I am investing with profits I made from earlier profits so I’m in (thankfully) great shape right now ....sleeping very, very well….but there is much more wood to chop.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:43 PM #10

This is how I invest: I buy (regularly at whatever price), and I hold.

This is how I trade: I buy into weakness, and I sell into strength.  I scale in, and I scale out.

I don’t forecast short-term—I just trade what I see when I see it. 

That said, many times in the past, given a chart like this, we see an oversold bounce the next day.  The tricky part is gauging whether it’s retrace (some up before another leg down) or reversal (back to uptrend).  Need to watch what happens at key support and resistance areas…

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:46 PM #11

rutgersguy92 - 31 March 2012 01:30 AM

Thank you, Ms. IPad for outstanding work in putting together these charts.  I know it takes a lot of time, and it is very much appreciated.

RG, I very much appreciate you appreciating them!  Yay! smile

• Posted: 30 March 2012 10:46 PM #12

Still learning the technicals so scaling could be costly for me until I get the hang of it.  I keep my trading small and my investing large.  I like the power of compounding so as the stock rises over time I roll up and out…my base gets larger and larger…that’s my philosophy and it’s worked well for me.  My short term timing needs a lot of work though (lol).

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 30 March 2012 10:49 PM #13

Phoebear611 - 31 March 2012 01:30 AM

Very deep in the money - basically stock surrogates.  Currently unhedged but booked profits throughout this week and lightened up on some shorter term deep in the money’s I had (April 520s).  I prefer intrinsic value to be high and try to seek theta I can live with.  If I’m not sleeping well then I know I am definitely over exposed.  I am investing with profits I made from earlier profits so I’m in (thankfully) great shape right now ....sleeping very, very well….but there is much more wood to chop.

Phoebes, I’m the same way with sleep quality gauging (over)exposure! smile

If you lightened up on the short-term stuff, you’re in great shape, IMHO.

Posted: 30 March 2012 11:00 PM #14

Prazan - 28 March 2012 03:24 AM

Do you prefer the four hour chart to the hourly chart or the daily chart, and if so, why?

Sorry, that sounds too much like an essay question.

I look mostly at the hourly and daily charts, but I don’t know anything.

Well, I know the MACD rocks in every time frame.

P, sorry I missed your post earlier!

LOL re: MACD!!  Yeeeeesssss. smile

I actually consult all timeframes.  Intraday, I watch 1-minute and 5-minute constantly.  Periodically during the day, I will zoom out to 10-, 15-, 30-minute, 1-, 2- 4-hour, daily, and weekly. smile  I like to see how the little pieces fit within larger and larger timeframes.

For a fine swing trader such as yourself, IMHO, no need for anything less than 1-hour.  Take a peek, though, at 2- and 4-hour charts—especially the MACD-histogram—and see how the little picture fits in the bigger picture(s).  It’s pretty cool.  (Okay, I’m a chart geek, we all know it!) :D

Posted: 30 March 2012 11:14 PM #15

So iPad, the current short-term charts are saying, “who the heck knows”?  wink

I like the MACD-H trend, and the oversold RSI, but I think I’ll wait another day or two before taking any action.  Nothing definitive yet to my uneducated eyes.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.