AAPL Chart Talk

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:18 PM #1336

AAPL DAILY CHART

After a bunch of bearish divergence, including our current ATH, daily MACD-h has ventured a smidge under the zero line (valley instead of mountain).  If we can gap up huge tomorrow, we can possibly reverse this and chalk it up to a bear trap.  Otherwise: short-term downwave in an intermediate-term uptrend.

Posted: 06 September 2012 03:10 AM #1337

The new layout will hide the overflow of images that are too wide to fit the post column. This is to avoid any issues with forcing the layout to become too wide. The reason we do it this way is because we need a way to reliably control the layout so we can position button, elements, etc. in a reliable way. That said, I will add this to a list of items to address. We can look into a better solution to address wider images. Maybe a ‘click to enlarge’ functionality.

Posted: 06 September 2012 03:57 PM #1338

Sell the news setup, iPad?  The chart might be pointing in that direction.

Also, upon reflection, I guess if someone has a user name like “lovemyipad and my iphone and my mac”, that extra space to the left would be realllly handy. LOL raspberry

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:21 PM #1339

Adam Christianson - 06 September 2012 03:10 AM

The new layout will hide the overflow of images that are too wide to fit the post column. This is to avoid any issues with forcing the layout to become too wide. The reason we do it this way is because we need a way to reliably control the layout so we can position button, elements, etc. in a reliable way. That said, I will add this to a list of items to address. We can look into a better solution to address wider images. Maybe a ‘click to enlarge’ functionality.

Adam, “click to enlarge” would be FANTASTIC!!!

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:25 PM #1340

Mav - 06 September 2012 03:57 PM

Sell the news setup, iPad?  The chart might be pointing in that direction.

Also, upon reflection, I guess if someone has a user name like “lovemyipad and my iphone and my mac”, that extra space to the left would be realllly handy. LOL raspberry

Mav, LOL re: use of extra space. wink  RE: chart interpretation…I concur.  Everything seems to happen a bit “off” the regular schedule this year.  Well, we always said when enough people figured out the routine, well-anticipated gyrations of this stock (re: earnings and events), the rules would change.

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:28 PM #1341

Actually, sell the news is pretty routine for AAPL, so…*shrug*

I’m with Redler though.  AAPL is acting just fine.  It’s just not really…er…acting? LOL  This extended digestion could be really great for establishing new support.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:34 PM #1342

Mav - 06 September 2012 04:28 PM

Actually, sell the news is pretty routine for AAPL, so…*shrug*

I’m with Redler though.  AAPL is acting just fine.  It’s just not really…er…acting? LOL  This extended digestion could be really great for establishing new support.

That would be lovely; however, I have never, EVER seen relative weakness from AAPL on *this* scale, options OE or not, event or not.  We should have hit 700 today.  If the market wasn’t up 2%, where would we have traded today?

Posted: 06 September 2012 06:47 PM #1343

iPad, I remember more than a few instances of big relative weakness…maybe you forgot? wink

I hybridize my trading strategy/short-term “forecasting” with technicals and fundamentals/story at my own peril, but if there’s one thing with AAPL, it’s that it can be unpredictable on shorter-term timeframes.

I think we’re still in 665-675.  There’s an air of market pessimism on AAPL that the EOs are somehow taking advantage of.  And really, I don’t mind AAPL not getting “overheated” on more Draghi promises because of that German court deal (which could affect at least some of said promises, IIRC) and the truckload of market events next week, including that QE3 checkpoint.  AAPL might not breakout next week either because of sell the news.  I think the time to start getting concerned is if a massively successful iPhone 5 launch (based on initial sales) is the latest catalyst to fail to move AAPL.  And after that, iPad Air-related catalysts.

[ Edited: 06 September 2012 06:51 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2012 06:49 PM #1344

Btw iPad and any technicals people still here post-forum-change raspberry, I did a quick scan of the charts today and nothing really jumped out at me.  Aside from worries of a top (Redler doesn’t see one, neither do I), am I missing anything?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2012 06:58 PM #1345

Mav is just doing a test of user name length - 06 September 2012 06:49 PM

Btw iPad and any technicals people still here post-forum-change raspberry, I did a quick scan of the charts today and nothing really jumped out at me.  Aside from worries of a top (Redler doesn’t see one, neither do I), am I missing anything?

I didn’t think that Redler does tops, Mav.  He uses his pivot sheet. and just adds as it takes out the next resistance level (he calls it Tier 2).  I know his group looks for patterns, like flags, pennants and triangles to aid in their trading, but I don’t think they are big TA guys.

Posted: 06 September 2012 07:00 PM #1346

Redler is pretty damn big on technicals from what I can tell…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2012 08:53 PM #1347

I mean things like MACD, stochastics, etc.  He does do Fib retracements, which he has done on his re-cap shows.  So I stand corrected.

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:57 PM #1348

Mav is just doing a test of user name length - 06 September 2012 06:49 PM

Massive bearish divergence that still hasn’t gone away.  That said, the first run up to 644, that last leg of 50-some points was all on bearish divergence.  But then the first, anticipated pullback to SMA-20 (which I way overbought, seeing as we were so close to earnings and all) bounced a bit, then dropped…  and dropped… and ...well, you were there too. :(

Posted: 07 September 2012 07:53 PM #1349

So why does Redler seem unconcerned?  I know he’s not a MACD-h kind of person, but that can’t be the only way to determine divergences/weakness signalling danger of lower prices.  Redler also uses an oscillator IIRC, which should also pick up on that kind of stuff if I’m not mistaken.

For the record, I’m treating Sep. 12 as a sell the news type of event if AAPL proceeds significantly higher on Mon/Tue/early Wed.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:58 PM #1350

I just signed on with Redler for “Off The Charts”, which costs $29.99 per month (cheaper with a yearly subscription).  I’ll let you guys know how it’s going.